Zoom in/out in piano roll automation

omar17166
Go to solution Solved by ozinga,

I feel this is silly, but shouldn't it be possible to vertically zoom into the automation are of a piano roll?

Horizontal zoom works fine! Vertical zoom, however, seems to affect the piano roll itself only (the notes), but not the automation area!

44 minutes ago, ozinga said:

If you mean to have a higher area for the automation, you just drag the border between the piano roll and the automation window.

No! I want to zoom in vertically. The automation curves will be higher! That way you can get finer adjustment. 

It will actually surprise me if this action isn't possible or if it has not not been an obvious requirement!

On 4/12/2024 at 6:44 PM, omar17166 said:

I feel this is silly, but shouldn't it be possible to vertically zoom into the automation are of a piano roll?

Horizontal zoom works fine! Vertical zoom, however, seems to affect the piano roll itself only (the notes), but not the automation area!

Thank you 

Thank you all. Yes, I think as you all mentioned, moving the border of the automation area does zoom the curves vertically. I was sure I must have done this before with no problems. I think this time it seemed like a problem because the parameter I was trying to work with had a bigger range and needed more zoom to achieve fine adjustment.

It was namely so that I was trying to pitchbend notes on a kontakt library that did not have pitch bend with flexible range ( the pitchbend was limited to a semitone). So I thought of automating the general kontakt "tune knob" itself. Apparently this needed a wider zoom to achieve some accuracy.

Anyway, I got the answer now. Thanks for your help. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

I think that using the Piano Roll in its own separate window (instead of in the editor tab under the track area) would yield larger vertical expansion. Additionally, a screenset for that very purpose might be useful…

Thanks Atlas007!

Yes, I was actually using a Piano Roll in its own window.

I think that if the automation area had its own "option key- mouse zoom", like the rest, this would have resulted in better vertical zooming.

• Like 1