VI with ultra long evolving sounds - midi note problem

Sir Hannes

Hi!

Imagine you have a 64 bar note for an ultra evolving VI sound with lots of automation, you work your way forward bar by bar, but each time you have to play from bar 1. Does a new function solve the problem of extremely long midi notes (i.e. atmospheres/pads that build up extremely slowly) so that you no longer have to play them from the beginning in order for the midi on command to be triggered? 

Maybe it was a dream I had, but thought there was a feature in one of the latest updates?

7 hours ago, Sir Hannes said:

so that you no longer have to play them from the beginning in order for the midi on command to be triggered? 

Turn on Chase for notes, and Logic will start a note when you start playback even if it's later than the note on. It doesn't mean the sound will be the same if it's a long evolving sound, as essentially it will have started much later, but it's still a useful tool to avoid losing MIDI notes when starting playback after their note-ons would be.

Freezing/bouncing is the preferable way though to keep playback timely and accurate, and you can always unfreeze if you want to work on it later, or do a source-only freeze.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Chase for notes I was searching for, thank you @des99 🙂 I activated it.

But now there is more ongoing: If my region is followed by a region with the same note (C-0), it will no longer be played. It only plays if I jump inside of the region. That doesn't make any sense - I want to be able to play from the start of any midi region in my session. I can only fix this if I change the note of the following midi region, i.e. from C-0 to any like C#-0 or B-1.
Is this a mistake or is it supposed to be like this?

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-15um09_34_21.thumb.jpeg.fd60b77fc20e7be5f07d2d182f242e1a.jpeg

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-15um09_34_10.thumb.jpeg.2a6bfbf80f7e331835864d6960cde0ac.jpeg

@oscwilde Freezing/ bouncing even on a M1Pro take a while for 64 bars, I need 12-30 steps of BIP till I am done, plus deleting the created all *.wav-files afterwards. Freeze doesn't allow me re-adjusting VI parameters. 🙂

Edited by Sir Hannes

4 hours ago, Sir Hannes said:

But now there is more ongoing: If my region is followed by a region with the same note (C-0), it will no longer be played. It only plays if I jump inside of the region.

I don't really understand the issue exactly, but basically, from your playback start point, on each MIDI track Logic will search backwards for any MIDI notes that should be sounding already, and triggers them. If this is not happening, try separating those notes by a few ticks to make sure they are not overlapping or anything.

Posted (edited)

I try it: all playback shortcuts I use won't work anymore if Chase for Notes is activated. 😞 Start playback from begin of region/ note, from last locator etc. do nothing now.

Unfortunately I can't set in hundreds of regions the midi notes a few ticks away.

Edited by Sir Hannes

On 4/15/2024 at 9:14 AM, Sir Hannes said:

Is this a mistake or is it supposed to be like this?

I can confirm this bug (happens every time if a note ends exactly at region end and the next region has the same not exactly at its start when Note Chase is on). Note Off and Note On events seem to be mixed up. You should report this to Apple via their feedback page (if not already done)

• Like 1