Understanding MIDI guitar nuances

Mutka
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

Hi,

I am a relative beginner to Logic Pro, having worked through a few textbooks, including the one by the author here. I am currently trying to understand ways to make more realistic sounding acoustic guitars by listening to, and deconstructing software instrument loops.

Listening to the software instrument loop titled 'Southern Rock Guitar 02' that uses the Steel String Acoustic instrument, there is an E3 note at (2 2 1 1) that has a small upward slide on it. Could somebody explain how this note slide is created? I have not been able to find a MIDI event that corresponds to it, and I notice that when I change the software instrument the slide does not remain.

Many thanks!

• Solution

Hi Mutka,

5 hours ago, Mutka said:

Listening to the software instrument loop titled 'Southern Rock Guitar 02' that uses the Steel String Acoustic instrument, there is an E3 note at (2 2 1 1) that has a small upward slide on it. Could somebody explain how this note slide is created?

The note with a slide is actually a C3, and the slide is part of the audio sample itself:

Screenshot2023-12-27at15_00_49.thumb.png.18b8122351732a1f8722a10719d50959.png

That specific sample is triggered when the note has a velocity of 124 or higher. If you switch the default "Guitar" instrument (a Garageband instrument) that is loaded with that loop to Logic's Sampler, you'll be able to see how that sample's Zone is configured (the source sample, "50B-1GA5-B2.aif", is actually a B2 that's being transposed up to C3).

This instrument's samples are stored here, in case you're interested:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Files/Steel String Acoustic Guitar/

J.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply Jordi, that’s very clear now I can see the Zones in the Sampler. 

23 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

The note with a slide is actually a C3

Yes I realised after I made the post, that the loop had been transposed by my project key.

• Like 1