Your own logic template, what would you put in there?

Yalopa

I'm working mainly with hardware synths, think the good old (to me at least) 80's and 90's classics like Juno 106, Korg M1, D50, DX7, Nord lead, ....

I'm planning on creating my own template, in order to work faster.  Now when I'm starting a new track I start from a black logic project.  When I want to add a synt I look up on what input that synth is, what midi channels etc.  Now that I have upgraded my interface an I no longer need to patch, a template makes a lot of sense as everything is fixed at a location.

I'm pretty sure I want every instrument just available in there on its track, both audio and midi.

The question is... what else?  I don't need to poop out a new same track every week, I jus want that when my ideas come, I can record them fast..

I would consider the sounds I like to play as well. IOW, setting the various hardware synth in their preset tracks is an efficient way to build hardware templates in Logic, but also having tracks for the type of instruments (bass, piano, synth, drone, solo, drums, percussion, sound fx, etc) is one fundamental aspect of the templates setting I would consider, since music is (in my view) based on instruments playing together…

• Like 1

Once you've set up the Environment for your external hardware, create a track for each device as your "base" template.

If your general workflow includes adding a couple of vocal or guitar tracks to the external hardware parts, add one or two audio tracks.
Same for software instruments....add one or two tracks.
Set up a reverb and delay on a couple of buses, so they're quickly available for all tracks.
If this applies - save as part of your "base" template.

There's no limitation to the number of templates - so create several for different types of projects - if this fits your headspace/workflow.

As you work with your new setup, you'll probably tweak/refine your "base" template (and others, if you create more), so trying to get it "perfect" from the start has the potential to take you down a rabbit hole where you're spending your time creating masterpiece templates - but not musical masterpieces.

• Like 2

i have several default templates. my main one is ready for everything i usually need:

a track stack with 2 audio tracks for vocals (with the plugins i use, ie eq, comp, some voc tools)... all there, but inactive until i need them. and easy to duplicate tracks for more vocals.

a track stack with one instance of all my main synths, and effects there but off.

a track stack for drum plugins. etc...

plus, auxes for common effects (several reverbs, delays).

and settings! the mixer showing only what i want to see. tool settings, etc.

it's a place to start, and everything is, of course, editable. but it makes starting new projects fun; i can spend time on the music, not on the setup...

Edited by fisherking
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Yalopa said:

What would you put in there?

You mentioned a nice vintage list....and depending on the way you like to work....you can set up an Environment with multi-channel objects for each of these synths.
The advantage of this is that you can call up patches/banks from Logic - by name - for all of the presets in these synths.
You can also do a bunch of other stuff - again depending on how deep you wanna go with it/how you prefer to work.

If you have a look in the files area here on the site, you'll find a number of ready-made environments or environment objects for your synths.
These can be imported into your environment/saved as a template....and away you go.
https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/forum/5-logic-pro-amp-mainstage-templates-and-environments/