Force legato question

Studio162A
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

When I use the "Force legato" key command in the piano roll the chosen note gets pushed nearly to the next note, but stops just why of it. The attached image shows the chosen note not meeting with the following note, stopping at tick 232. Is this expected behavior?

Jim

Untitled copy.jpg

The snap setting makes no difference.

This topic covers some of the same ground and it's noted that a gap is maintained between the notes.

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. What I'm looking for is way to tell Logic that I want a note to be extended to the start of the next note with no gap in between. (I'm using this for a bass line, single note to single note to single note, etc.) Is this possible via key command or keyboard shortcut? (Using "Edit: Trim: Note end to selected note" still leaves a small gap between the two notes.)

• Solution
12 hours ago, Studio162A said:

Is this expected behavior?

Yes, it's the expected behavior. My understanding was always that with external MIDI connections, you typically want to avoid sending too many MIDI messages simultaneously, so that small gap allows Logic to send the Note Off event a couple of ticks before the next Note On event. 

Obviously this is no longer an issue by today's standards so that behavior probably deserves an update. 

I always wondered the same OP. Thanks for pointing it out. Now I don't have to feel alone about that one anymore. 😂 Maybe someone can submit some feedback to Apple/Logic, as David pointed out that it probably deserves an update and/or a setting to change this behaviour.

I think with some soft-synths the current behaviour is useful though, because without a gap there are presets where the second of two same notes won't re-trigger the VCA envelope of the synth resulting in a single continuous legato note. At least that's what I experienced sometimes.