metronome playing countoff only

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I have one more metronome problem, one that should be easy.

I want to hear the metronome countoff when I play back but not during the music so it goes tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, and then nothing more. How do I do that? I've tried several things that don't work right.

This is useful for when I want to play live against what has been recorded and I have to start exactly on the first beat.

Thank you.

I apologize for taking too long to reply to this — not my habit, but I've had complications, one of which is from this forum itself recognizing me. Security procedures are necessary but can bite you in the butt sometimes.

The solution proposed sounds like it should work but doesn't. I'm probably doing something wrong, but as you can see from the attached screenshot, when I uncheck "Clock While Playing" the choice "only during Count-In" is grayed out.

So I still have the problem.

Thanks.

notquite.png

I've been asked to clarify what I want.

do have the count-in button selected because I want to hear 1234 clicks before it starts PLAYING, (not recording anything) and not sound thereafter. It's like a bandleader counting off the tempo before it starts, which is considered acceptable even in public performances (though not so much in classical music).

The help window says it can count-in a measure before recording. On the dropdown menu, the option to click only during count-in is an indented option beneath recording, which suggests that it will not do what I want it to.

There are various reasons to have count-in before playing only. I want to be able to start playing an instrument live on the downbeat. Sometimes I give informal performances that way as with a backing track supporting a live instrument. Sometimes I just want to practice or work on composing a section.

It occurred to me that a possible way to do this is to put up a dummy track, set it to record, enable metronome only during count-in, and press record on the dummy track without actually playing any input. I'm guessing that would work, but it's obviously a workaround, not the ideal solution.

I haven't tried that yet. I'll post further if it does next time I get to my studio.

I've now got what I want. I don't know exactly where to find Klopfgeist (I know it's what the metronome is called), but I already had a blank software instrument track in my project for experimentation, so I used it to select some percussion set and put the count-in clicks on some sort of kick drum and low tom combination. Sounds cool and works fine, though I'll delete it in the final version.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

• Like 3