Vocals-Can you modulate your voice up?

Reesche

Hi you guys!

LogicProX v. 10.5.1

My question to you today is... Can I modulate my vocals "Up" a little if I can not sing my track in the higher key? 

My old Fostek and Tascam 4-track recorders enabled me to do this long ago.

If it can be done in Logic, where would I look? And how to do it.

Thank you!

Reesche

One way to do it is to sing the part and use Flex Pitch. There are other tools as well in Logic. You need some music theory though. It's not as easy as dragging everything up. Some notes might be out of scale. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reesche said:

Well another thing I didn't mention.... I would want the up-scale vocals to sound normal.  No chipmonk, Cher sounds.

Flex pitch features various ways (algorithms) to edit your voice recorded material.

One more thought.... doesn't flex pitch only work after you have performed the track? 

Yes, indeed…

It would be nice to just be able to sing the part in a lower version and then speed it up.

Varispeed is probably what you are looking for…

Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Reesche said:

One more thought.... doesn't flex pitch only work after you have performed the track?  It would be nice to just be able to sing the part in a lower version and then speed it up.

As @Atlas007 pointed out, that's a job for Varispeed. 

1. Control-click an empty spot in the Control bar and choose Customize Control Bar and Display,
  2. In the LCD column, click the pop-up menu, and choose Custom,
  3. Below the pop-up menu, select the Varispeed checkbox,
  4. In the LCD display, click 'Speed Only' and choose Varispeed (Speed and Pitch),
  5. Click the % unit and choose Detune (Semitone.Cents),
  6. Adjust the number of semitones.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 11.34.24 AM.png

Success!!!

By using Varispeed I was able to slow down the song and pitch so I could record my vocals in a lower key!  Then after flex Pitching all of the vocals I reset Varispeed to the correct settings and I doesn't sound bad at all.  Will have to do some twinking around with the EQ and delay. 

I have ran into this situation may times in the past with my multi-tracking.  I guess the only singer that anyone would want is a tenor..... which I am not.  I have found  that I have a good match with "Brendan Perry" of Dead Can Dance.  He sings in a lower voice.

Anyway thanks for the direction on this phase of my latest song.... Bush-"Letting the Cables Sleep"!

One more question: How do I get rid of the Varispeed screen?  I would like to go back to my original Tempo Setting.  Can you let me know?  See attached screen shot......

• This post has been solved!