73/76 Key Midi Controller w/Stage Keyboard Keybed?

73/76 keyboards are rare.  My friend wants one for live use with MainStage.  There are 73/76/88 “Stage Pianos” with excellent keybeds, action and feel.  But some have no midi controller capabilities beyond the basic keyboard notes, mod & pitch wheel and damper/sustain.  My friend has a Roland V-Combo VR730 at the moment. Great internal sounds, but he primarily uses MainStage. Surprisingly, none of the surface sliders, faders or switches are mappable. There’s no config option to sent midi data out the midi ports for the surface controls. He just found out, even the expression pedal, can’t send midi. Crazy!

I have an old Roland A33 with 76 keys and it’s not bad.  At least the buttons, few faders and switches are midi mappable.

Does anybody know of a newer Live Performance Keyboard, that can also function as a midi controller?

On 4/18/2024 at 12:43 PM, Nunstummy said:

Roland V-Combo VR730 at the moment. Great internal sounds, but he primarily uses MainStage. Surprisingly, none of the surface sliders, faders or switches are mappable. There’s no config option to sent midi data out the midi ports for the surface controls. He just found out, even the expression pedal, can’t send midi. Crazy!

It can send data, but the faders send sysex, rather than MIDI CC data.
Has your friend considered a straight 88-note controller keyboard?
Arturia Keylabs, Roland A-series, Native Instruments KK, Akai MPK88, etc?

In the 73/76 range, I can only think of the StudioLogic and Numa boards that have weighted actions. Most keyboards in this size are more home-oriented, so lack hammer action keybeds and/or front panel controls.

Away from the new keyboard angle....is the idea of a controller that sits on top of the VR730 a viable consideration?
There are lots of tiny controllers (fader/knob boxes...rather than mini keyboards - although these can also be a good option) that might provide the desired "knobby or fader control" features for MS.
Korg Nano units, Novation Launch Control, etc.

You could also use an iPad for this - but I'd imagine your friend would want something tactile/use by feel alone during live performance - rather than something they need to look at to use.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Has your friend considered a straight 88-note controller keyboard?
Arturia Keylabs,

Yes.  He owns an older Arturia 88 midi controller with fully weighted square-cut piano style keys.  He says it’s too big and heavy for gigs AND he can’t play synth or organ on those piano-style keys.  Picky, picky, picky…..I say, take the 88 and maybe a 49/61 light midi controller with plastic synth-style keys - use MainStage with 2 midi controllers, right?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Away from the new keyboard angle....is the idea of a controller that sits on top of the VR730 a viable consideration?

Yes.  I made a video on that idea. Turn any OLD Keyboard into a Modern Midi Controller | EasyControl 9

• Like 1