Laggy midi editing

samwhorocks

Hi. When I’m editing midi events in logic I’m getting very laggy control. It takes about half a second to respond to anything. This is weird because the cpu meter is showing it’s not even at 25 percent. The project isn’t huge. This keeps happening and I can’t see why. My old MacBook struggled constantly but never editing midi, even when I was on the brink of cpu overload I had snappy editing power. This is 2023 MacBook Pro m2 so it’s quite disappointing that it’s slowing me down so much. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

thanks

Sam

I’m running logic 10.8.1 Rosetta. Ventura 13.5. 

No hardware synths. Just a midi controller. 

it’s actually not just midi editing. It’s everything. Selecting anything, track, region, events, muting regions ect. 

thanks

So I started trying to narrow down the cause. Started disabling plugins and removing tracks. I still had laggy control. 

I decided to import all the tracks into a new project until the culprit was revealed. Even after importing all tracks and all plugins I have no lag in the new project. Weird. 

id like to find out why it’s doing this as I don’t want to have to do this every time it starts to lag. 

Any help or thoughts are very much appreciated. 

Sam

It may have been a corruption in the problem project.
As a Q, have you ever had the project with the issue open at the same time as another project?

Opening two projects simultaneously can expose a long-standing bug - which "might" result in corrupted projects.
Sometimes this is minor weirdness and sometimes it totally trashes the project.

• Like 1

Because you got rid of it by starting a new project I doubt this is your problem, but I discovered when starting with Logic Pro that I couldn't use my Bluetooth headphones because of a huge amount of lag that showed up when I was editing/recording MIDI. (I mean, it's really obvious now, but I was pretty naive about latency sources.) You can see the latency in your setup under Logic Pro | Settings | Audio | Devices under "Resulting Latency".

(Just in case it helps anyone else who might be attracted to this thread.)