How to Simultaneously automate multiple Surround Sound channel strips in Logic?

jetjaguar
Go to solution Solved by jetjaguar,

I am trying to automate 20 tracks simultaneously that are in surround. I need them to swirl around a 7.1 room all at the same timing. 

This only happens for a minute or two within a 5 minute project.

I have tried grouping them all, selecting them all and then using touch in real time for the effect of surround swirling around the room. Nothing works. 

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. 

My first thought would be to experimenti with Smart Controls.

Alternately, I would make the automation (as CC if possible/needed/applicable) and use fader object in the Environment. The Vector fader object might prove being quite useful here…

Eventually an hybrid approach of the above…

(admittedly, that is uncharted grounds to me)

Edited by Atlas007

Hello.

I don´t now how much control you want to have but the Tremolo plugin
Is 7.1 capable.
I attach a little example where there is 2 Tremolo plugins on the ”swirl around” moment in your project
One is set with distrution Left<>Right the other is set to Front<>Rear.
There is also a random distribution available if you want to go 🍌

I don’t have any surround setup so I can just go by the meter.
Not sure if this will work for you.

//Dan

Test 7.1.zip

• Solution

Yes! I discovered the Summing Stack to work. I haven't tried the folder stack @oscwilde. What would be the difference as actually I've never tried folder stacks. 

Also, there is another painstaking solution I came up with, but again Stack track much more straightforward. Copying on track header into new track Paste>original position the automation and moving regions in, but again that was my work around. Will play with folder stack track to see the difference, but curious your thoughts on that @oscwilde

• Like 1

Cool. Glad it worked for you.
The difference between folder/summing stacks is covered here:
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgcp9bc4b63d/mac

The workaround you mentioned is another option that can be convenient when working with a region or two or several/all regions on a given track that you want to move to another. Personally, I'd just re-route the output in this situation, but - as you're discovering - Logic often provides a few ways to arrive at a destination.
Each method has it pros/cons, but at the end of the day it comes down to working preference/the way your head works.
Most of the "old-timers" here tend to go for the fastest/least labour-intensive method where multiple options to achieve the goal are available.

• Like 1