Hello,

I am looking for the original sound banks of the TX802 (not the performances just the basic sound patches, see enclosed file). I need them in sysex format for use with the FM8 as I do not have the TX802 any longer. I've looked at many places without success. Does anyone here happen to have these? Thanks for looking, cheers, Bob.

TX802.PDF

Edited by musicman64

I tested them and this is the situation. The A banks are corrupt. The B banks are fine. None can be opened in FM8 but the B banks can be opened in dexed and contain a nice selection of original Yamaha sounds.

So thanks again!

Here's the stuff. Sadly the files are not ordered correctly but I believe they contain all the patches. If not let me know.

(As usual: SoundDiver to the rescue. SoundDiver came with a folder containing the factory patches for a number of devices including the TX802. The whole process of getting the stuff out of it and onto my current computer was somewhat messy though.)

The files load in Dexed and FM8.

TX802VoiceA2.syx TX802VoiceA1.syx

• Like 3

13 hours ago, synth_hero said:

Amazing! Out of (intellectual) curiosity, are you still running an old  mac with Mac OS 9 or Classic on OS X Leopard? 

I'm having a PowerMac 4400 for that exact reason.

Back in the day I retrofitted it with an USB card which makes file transfers a bit easier - just use a thumb drive which can be read in both Mac OS 9 and current systems.

While SoundDiver was starting up nicely and the library with the factory sounds was there it was always complaining about the missing MIDI interface (that's why I didn't sort the Patches). Exporting to .syx was no problem. But on my current Mac I couldn't import the .syx file into Dexed. Turns out this wasn't a single dump but a conglomerate of three different dumps (and different data types). But thanks to a hex editor I was able to extract the actual data which then could be imported.

SoundDiver had been coming to the rescue a couple of times in the last few years. One time it was for restoring the factory patches to a Lexicon LXP-1 which had lost its memory due to a low battery. There was no .syx data for those patches to be found anywhere on the internet - but they were in the SoundDiver library. Another case was a Roland D-50 which had a battery change - but the owner sold it for little money because he wasn't able to restore the patches (since Roland at this time used a peculiar handshake protocol).

11 hours ago, gacki said:

Turns out this wasn't a single dump but a conglomerate of three different dumps (and different data types). But thanks to a hex editor I was able to extract the actual data which then could be imported.

That is a lot of work: sifting through all the sysex parameter strings and then grouping them for each patch. Great work!👏

11 hours ago, gacki said:

SoundDiver had been coming to the rescue a couple of times in the last few years. One time it was for restoring the factory patches to a Lexicon LXP-1 which had lost its memory due to a low battery. There was no .syx data for those patches to be found anywhere on the internet - but they were in the SoundDiver library. Another case was a Roland D-50 which had a battery change - but the owner sold it for little money because he wasn't able to restore the patches (since Roland at this time used a peculiar handshake protocol).

We are still appreciating the value of SoundDiver decades after its removal from Logic.

Many thanks for your detailed explanation.🙏

17 hours ago, gacki said:

Turns out this wasn't a single dump but a conglomerate of three different dumps (and different data types). But thanks to a hex editor I was able to extract the actual data which then could be imported.

Yes, because the TX802 data contains a superset of the raw DX7 data. You have the raw DX7 patch data, but then you have the extra data for the performance stuff that's unique to the 802 (eg it's multitimbral), and I think there's some global data as well. Possibly Dexed complains with such a dump, I can't remember offhand.

17 hours ago, gacki said:

SoundDiver had been coming to the rescue a couple of times in the last few years.

Indeed, it does the same here for me.

2 hours ago, des99 said:

Yes, because the TX802 data contains a superset of the raw DX7 data. You have the raw DX7 patch data, but then you have the extra data for the performance stuff that's unique to the 802 (eg it's multitimbral), and I think there's some global data as well. Possibly Dexed complains with such a dump, I can't remember offhand.

Pretty close; it's a bit more elaborated.

The two additional SysEx messages are one very short message that I've so far haven't been able to identify (it might be "Voice data receive block parameter change" - no idea what that actually does), and a second larger message with "Additional Voice Memory" aka AMEM. It's not the Performance stuff like the multitimbral setups; I believe AMEM is (in a nutshell) the Function parameters of the original DX7 but here on a per-voice basis instead of globally (the DX7II family did this as well if I recall correctly).

I've run some more tests and Dexed doesn't accept anything other than a vanilla DX7 dump. A sensible way to handle this would be to scan through the whole .syx file to check if there actually IS some voice data instead of just jumping the gun and interpreting the first dump as "voice data" (in fairness: Dexed warns about this. But still...).

It seems to be a known issue: https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed/issues/165

FM8 can actually import the combined dumps but seems to ignore AMEM. Same for the Arturia DX 7 V. So stripping down the files to the raw original DX7 SysEx seems to be the best course of action.

Just reading through some of the TX802 SysEx documentation gave me vivid flashbacks...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gacki said:

Pretty close; it's a bit more elaborated.

Sure, I was only generalising from memory. I'll take a look at my presets for these, as I converted all the Dexed carts to Logic presets, *and* converted them all to OPS7 presets too - I think I had a couple of issues with corrupt or unreadable syx files, but I'm pretty sure I fixed them as I went - I just can't remember the details offhand. I think I just deleted any blocks that weren't the core DX7 voice data, at least for Dexed.

Obviously, no plugins will read the TX802/DX7II splits/layers/performances, they basically only read the core DX7 voice data (or 4-op extended variants), although at least the DX7II patches can be faked by using two plugin instances, checking the performance data in SoundDiver and setting up the equivalents, where possible, in the split/layer settings. Which was a project I was playing with for a while, as Manny's DX7II patches are basically the best examples of what that synth can do...