Logic Pro 8.0.1 released!

I just downloaded the upgrade, but Apple hasn't updated their "late breaking news" document yet, so as of yet, there is no documentation letting us know what exactly they have changed/fixed.

But after about an hour of fairly casual use, everything seems exactly the same as 8.0 to me. It'll be interesting to see if my overdub problems (mentioned in an earlier post today) will cease...

(BTW the link to the Late Breaking News document seen elsewhere on this forum points to a document dated August 10, and only includes things that were changed after the user manual was printed.)

So I am having no problems with this update but I was hoping someone could elaborate on what these do exactly and how to engage them.

Specifically:

• Copy/Paste Audio Configuration (Mixer local menu: Options)

What is this used for?

• Different colors for new Giant SMPTE and Bar displays

How do I do this?

• Improved handling of open take folders (flattening, recording into)

Can someone elaborate on what this means?

Thanks

Most of the bugs are still present:

-Play from Selection is bugged (can't play a region or note to the right of a cycle)

-Play/Stop Selection key command is broken (always plays entire file, not selection)

-Sample Editor opening as new window from Bin bug still present

-Sample Editor reduced zoom capability not fixed

-Mixer View settings still resets after save/load if mixer is not open when saving

-Wave Color function still missing

-Clicks at start of audio files

-Random clicks

-Overloads

etc.

hi,

after selecting an audio inst in the arrange, lp8.01 does not update to that channel in the piano roll any more.

if it does, it's very very slow at it.

it does, however, do it properly as an arrange page pop-up.

vsl's so-called performance tool for EXS is not fixed.

i cannot open the EXS editor at all, on any patch, far less vsl ones.

and vsl have as usual passed the buck onto apple.

apple are starting to look like a bunch of amateurs when it comes to logic.

DR9

Most of the bugs are still present:

-Play from Selection is bugged (can't play a region or note to the right of a cycle)

-Play/Stop Selection key command is broken (always plays entire file, not selection)

-Sample Editor opening as new window from Bin bug still present

-Sample Editor reduced zoom capability not fixed

-Mixer View settings still resets after save/load if mixer is not open when saving

-Wave Color function still missing

-Clicks at start of audio files

-Random clicks

-Overloads

etc.

Ok, so 8.01 is not the crackerjack yet, is it? They just didn't want to introduce more decimals into the revision number (like "8.003"), right? It's more an appeaser. Some "hey, we're still here developing", some "we spared neither trouble nor expense to let you hide the transport bar" and some "wait for 8.1 ($49) with some new features to make you forget the old bugs that unfortunately still couldn't be fixed"...

But what am I talking about? Logic always worked for me as I found out how to avoid its traps, and it will continue to do so.

My Lp8 won't update to 8.0.1. It showed up in the software update window as a 9.5 meg file. Turns out that that was the node update. After an extensive search on the Apple website, I found the full 103 meg update. When I tried to install, it says "a newer version of logic is already installed, there is no need to install this older version". I thought that the node installation was causing the issue, so I deleted it and it's receipt and tried again. No luck.... or maybe thats good luck. Haven't heard a lot of good news about this update. When I launch logic, it's still the 8.0 version. Any ideas?

• Copy/Paste Audio Configuration (Mixer local menu: Options)

what does this do?

before i download

It copies the Mixer's configuration so you can paste the whole thing onto another song.

But Wow! Just realized it gives us a mixer snapshot, without using Automation.

Set your mix levels and pans, then copy the audio configuration.

Go and mess with the Mix levels and pans, the paste configuration returns the mix to that earlier snapshot. Cool.

Mark R.

But Wow! Just realized it gives us a mixer snapshot, without using Automation.

Ah, but it is short lived. A copy command from anywhere else wipes out the snapshot.

But still copy/paste audio configuration is great for messing with your mix pans and levels and then putting it all back the way it was before. A mixer undo!

Mark R.

Maybe I better holdoff to 8.02.....

I think you should.

On the Apple Support Forum (also here and in the LUG as well) there are plenty of posts with people very disappointed and frustrated with the way Apple is treating Logic and professional users of this old (in a good sense) program.

To a point that some of them are sincerely thinking about leaving Logic behind and going back to Cubase 4 and Pro Tools or DP.

I hope Apple take their loyal users opinions seriously and start to think that something is very wrong in Logic's development the past few years.

The company can easily make Emagic/Logic users give up (even with pain in their hearts) on Logic.

That would be sad.

If Apple don't feel like doing it anymore, they should sell it to someone else or state clearly to Logic users that the program it is no more of interest to the company.

But releasing an update without information at all (after 3 month of waiting), and with more bugs than it used to have it is not the way a company should do.

What's happening with Logic? The end is near?

The program is becoming a not trusty software for real professional or commercial work?

What you guys think?

Is this just pessimism or this update delay and bugs all over the place are just a bad moment that will end soon?

I think you should.

On the Apple Support Forum (also here and in the LUG as well) there are plenty of posts with people very disappointed and frustrated with the way Apple is treating Logic and professional users of this old (in a good sense) program.

To a point that some of them are sincerely thinking about leaving Logic behind and going back to Cubase 4 and Pro Tools or DP.

I hope Apple take their loyal users opinions seriously and start to think that something is very wrong in Logic's development the past few years.

The company can easily make Emagic/Logic users give up (even with pain in their hearts) on Logic.

That would be sad.

If Apple don't feel like doing it anymore, they should sell it to someone else or state clearly to Logic users that the program it is no more of interest to the company.

But releasing an update without information at all (after 3 month of waiting), and with more bugs than it used to have it is not the way a company should do.

The program is becoming a not trusty software for real professional or commercial work?

What you guys think?

Is this just pessimism or this update delay and bugs all over the place are just a bad moment that will end soon?

I wrote a response there so I will not do it again here.

I think you should.

That would be sad.

What you guys think?

I wrote a response there so I will not do it again here.

I've read it.