Logic Pro 8.0.1 released!

I agree with a lot of your assesments, Jay...tho..even tho the comping thing isn't perfect, I've been using it pretty well. I'd like more control over the individual fades, etc...but, I'm able to make it work.

But...I do feel like Apple has 'backburnered' us a bit, even with the .01 update (no documentation, etc..)

I'm not ready to jump ship tho. Far from it.

My first 8.01 impression: (moved from the other locked post)

I'm trying to think positive about the Apple/Logic situation, but they make it really hard to to keep the excitement and confidence level up.

I was joking in a post yesterday that Apple has released the GarageBand upgrade for iPhone ringtone capabilities last week and that should get the Logic developer back to to their original task and fix the bugs in Logic. But now I'm getting the feeling that this could have been the reality.

What was released as 8.01 looks like a quick fix that was put together in a hurry and the guy responsible to upload the "Fixed Bugs List" left already for his holiday vacation. Even the link in the software update info goes to the old "Late Breaking Info" document. It "Breaks" my heart to see such an amount of incompetence and miscommunication (note to myself: "communication" doesn't exist in Cupertino's Dictionary when it comes to the user who actually paid for their products).

How about the actual Bug fixes. I keep my own list of bugs that I encounter in my workflow and I just went through and found only 6 of 29 bugs that have been fixed. I don't know if that is a good ratio. However, keeping that pace - by Christmas 2008 Logic 8.05 will have fixed the last bugs too.

What's not fixed?

Still no long file names, afp network protocol still broken, multi-screen alert windows still all over the place, Anchor issues, Cut/Insert unusable, window/display inconsistencies everywhere, etc. And these are only the bugs for my workflow. But to top that off:

How about some new bugs!!!

The separate Mixer window now also displays the hidden tracks in the Arrange view. This terrible oversight (discussed already on other threads) may force me to get back to 8.0.

But wait, there is one big positive thing - Drumroll please - Transport bar can be hidden now!

I know that is big deal for a lot of people, but 3 month of developer time to fix this, give me a break. The Key Command was there already in 8.0 and someone just forgot to activate it. That fix should have been in the 8.01 release three weeks after 8.0 and not 3 month.

It is sad but the truth, Logic is at the bottom of the food chain at Apple. On top of that, it seems that whenever something needs to get done in the GarageBand/iPhone world, the Logic guys get dragged away from their desk.

So what's the future? WIth that proven "speed" and commitment in Logic's development, I don't have to get excited anymore in the hope for the next great thing. Maybe 8.1 by summer with a few more bug fixes. That would be great, please, just don't mess it up more.

mailing lists were good back in the good old unix days, where users were not morons, cos morons simply couldn't use the computer.

So everyone knew how to read manuals,and use procmail to filter the emails, and put them in folders. .. heh, the old days :)

I am not that old, but I used to work that way, and funny, but sometimes I think the IT world is crawling backwards, just to make stuff more commercial. Kinda like with music ;)

Anyways, still no logic express update. wtf ?

maybe they will release it after another iphonish update to garagaband, or whatever?

I seriously start to think that apple does not care so much about logic anymore. I mean, come on, I am software developer myself, I can see that the level of bugs present in the software is just silly. Same goes for OS, the 10.5 still has few bugs, that are just silly (but that's different story).

And someone would say, they do have separate team responsible for Logic. Perhaps, but most decisions are made by the same ppl that work on more 'commercial' products.

apple, either make it opensource, and let us fix the bugs, or do something about the way you are organized, cos it seems to be far from optimal.

mailing lists were good back in the good old unix days

Forums, for me, mean double handling, let's see, check email, receive reply notification, click on link, log in (LPH keeps forgetting who I am as of late) which also means it almost never scrolls to the new message...

Mailing lists are in your mail app, ready for you to read and reply to...

Not to mention doing quick searches in my Archives.

Considering the amount of time I spent in Mail app, LUG is just more convenient.

Whilst Davids membership is growing fast, LUG is still a valuable resource in terms of sheer numbers.

As for the idiot/troll factor, you'd get that here as well as on the LUG.

End of the day, it's all about having a choice...

Hi..Not to go somewere else here..But in regards to using Reason with Logic..If you follow the route that Apple has given in the manual..You are doomed to failure eventually. It isn't the way to work with rewire...At least in regards to Reason..There is no need what so ever to create a midi instrument in Logic..Also the most important thing is to have the reason window on top..Record into Reasons' sequencer...That part of the Logic manual is just totally of no productive use...It needs to be put out of others misery..updated or redone...JON

Hey Jon, that works if you don't mind having your arrangement spread out over two sequencers (unless I'm missing something). What I really want out of Reason is a neato virtual softsynth rack that is rewired to my Logic sequencer, almost like a monster plug-in synth. To have to look at sequenced parts in two different windows negates Reason's value to me. I'd loose Logic's editing (including transform) aspects and have to pop back and forth between the two to make sure my Logic arrangement and Reason arrangement are together. Not worth it, Reason doesn't sound any better than Logic, it just has some different things (and it's fun to look at). - Emile

PS - Sorry if we hijacked this thread so I'll throw some pertinent 8.0.1 stuff in. Other posters are reporting that the Logic 8 rewire memorization bug is fixed. Still no relief on the cycle mode log jam problem, even if it isn't started on bar 1.