New AudioUnit to solve one of my Logic bugbares

I've got three problems with logic.

1. We don't have folder tracks like Cubase

2. When I hit stop recording it jumps out of the folder region I'm in

3. I cant make notes against channels.

I decided I'd try to fix the only one of these that I could. As such I've just completed my first AudioUnit. Its very simple and needs some work to make the GUI a bit prettier but all the functionality is there.

All it does is allow you to store notes e.g. Mic setup, Gain level, compressor settings against a channel so that you don't need to store them in a separate file. The AU always stays on bypass (regardless of what the switch in Logic says) and so shouldn't use any CPU.

Please have a look and feed me any bugs, issues, ideas etc.

v2.0

http://www.mountainstorm.co.uk/photography/Software/assets/MountainStorm%20Notes%20v2.0.zip

v2.1

http://www.mountainstorm.co.uk/photography/Software/assets/MountainStorm%20Notes%20v2.1.zip

Those two links are currently broken. Download this A.U. by clicking http://www.mountainstorm.co.uk/photography/page3/page19/page19.html.

At the moment its very much alpha/beta so theres no guarantee it will work. if it breaks something, Im sorry, please tell me but its not my fault :)

Rich

Let me explain further. I wrote it in my free time and have no fear about using it myself. Regardless of how much testing I have done, or will ever do there is still a chance it may crash (causing Logic to crash).

I just wanted to state that, if it crashes and you loose some work you've been doing, then by all means come and moan at me but don't say you didn't know it could crash. Its provided "as is".

Oh yeah and no suing me :)

Rich

Exciting new news!

Ok so its not that exciting but news anyway. I've just finished and uploaded v2.0!

The only changes are that it now looks good.

Download, have a play and shout back your thoughts. I'll get to work on spotlight indexing when Im next bored.

Enjoy

Rich

http://www.mountainstorm.co.uk/photography/Software/assets/MountainStorm%20Notes%20v2.0.zip

If your having problems can you tell me the following:

* What OS version are you running

* What host are you using

* Where have you put the HMBlk framework? Try copying it into /Library/Frameworks/

I suspect it may be an issue with OS 10.4 but I'll check that out on my other mac tomorrow.

Any other thoughts/comments are gratefully received.

Rich

P.S. Are people interested in the info you add being available via spotlight?

Well I tried v2.0 on my 10.4 machine and it failed auval. I've corrected a compile option so that it should run on OS 10.4, although the +/- button might not look quite as good as it does on 10.5 (10.4 doesn't support the feature).

I've only managed to test it with auval on 10.4 (i dont have AULab, garageband etc on that machine yet :)

Please download v2.1 and give us a shout if you have any more luck.

Cheers

Rich

http://www.mountainstorm.co.uk/photography/Software/assets/MountainStorm%20Notes%20v2.1.zip

Arse!

I'll have to try installing Logic on my 10.4 machine and have a look. It might take some time though as my 10.4 machine is an old G3 iBook and given its mothers day today I've got more important things to be attending to.

I'll see what I can do. I suspect the error is a something todo with some default setting requiring 10.5 .. It'd be useful if you could open console.app, select the system log, clear the view, open Logic, pop the AU in and open the GUI and send my any output you get. Also tell me how far you get before you see the error, that should give me an idea if its a GUI or compile issue.

As an aside it turns out other hosts don't support Cocoa custom views so I might be making a basic Carbon view soon.

Cheers

Rich

Hi!

Thx for this- cool idea!

Will try it later...but, I do have a suggestion:

Since it seems to be a work in progress, I would very highly suggest editing your original post to provide the latest as you complete. Otherwise, viewers will need to scour what may become a lengthy thread to find the latest. (only meant as a suggestion in the kindest and friendliest of tones! :D )

thx again!

Firstly, what a generous thing to do. Thank you for this. Secondly, running Logic Pro 8.0.1 under OSX 10.4.11 on a Powermac G5 Dual 2.3 and your plugin wont pass validation. I assume all i need to do is drop the Component plugin that was in the 2.1 Version i downloaded from your link into the Components Folder? Anyway, here is a screencap of the AU Manager. Just figured you'd like to gather the information. And thanks again

554867442_Picture3.png.372b9552faa5f869ea174f64edae6fab.png

OR i could read the instructions and put the Framework in the right place. Please excuse my ignorance. So it passes now but please tell me, when i instantiate your plug in, open it and type some info, close the plug in, then re-open it, the text is gone. Am i once again doing something wrong?

well, after I downloaded the second version I got it installed successfully. It seemed to be workin' great at first. I was trying to test to see what whould happen when I opended/closed the window (I thought that I had read somebody lost their text when they did this), and I had no problems. Eventually, I had 4 plug-in widows open (AdLimit, Multimeter, and 2 instances of Notes on different tracks) ..... and then I couldn't scoll one of my widows in notes (I copied a couple paragraphs into a note, just so I could see how things behaved) .... and then I couldn't close my plug windows ... and now I can't even quit logic. I don't blame your plug, 'cuz this has happened a few times in the past (but that's one for a whole 'nother thread).

to keep the text when closing, double-click the 'highlited' blue plug name in the channel strip..in the same way as you'd instantiate in the first place

i find, instinctively, that i keep closing the normal way..losing settings

this other way works, but i'm not sure if it was our 'esteemed' programmer's intention to have it operate like this

thanks so much

I take it you loose the text if you click the X in the top left? I dont. What version of Logic are you using and which OS, its probably not getting a refresh event. Try opening so you cant see the text and try clicking on the table area or adding a new row.

Report back any progress. Im busy the next few nights but when I get a chance I'll knock up a website with an FAQ and try to collate issues people are having so I can figure out what needs fixing most :)

Rich

Right people!

I've knocked up a website to keep all the info about my plugin on: http://audio.mountainstorm.co.uk

Can everyone have a look and tell me what they thinks right/wrong and more importantly if your still having problems (peeb?) can you check you've followed the install instructions and then send me an email of your issue so I can add it to known issues. My intention is that it will form my TODO list :)

Please have a look and have fun

Rich