How to be a singer while hating your voice.

Sorry, this is not a how-to. It's a question.

Basically, I'm the the position of not liking the sound of my voice, and not really being able to sing all that well, but for some reason, wanting to put vocals in my music (I've been doing instrumental for about 8 years now... I need a change). I have no experience writing lyrics either.

I look at a song like TMBG's 'I'm Impressed', and firmly believe that I can do something like that, vocal-wise. It's nothing really difficult, it's pretty basic, and it's in my range.

What it comes down to is that I'm terrified to even *begin* singing. Anyone else been in the same boat? How did you get out, or did you?

If you think your voice isn't up to par yet, just tell yourself that there's plenty of successful awful singers out there and that never stopped them, so if they can be successful while sounding awful do it, why not you? :)

It's such a subjective thing anyway. A hundred people can tell you your voice sucks and a hundred will think you're the greatest vocalist on the planet. Also, I think most singers don't like the sound of their own voice; you're always your own worst critic.

I don't think you should settle for the first notes that come out of yer mouth though either; always try to improve, but don't get discourage by critics. Case in point, I think that singer on that TMBG song doesn't sound all that good, but he's obviously successful. Just goes to show ya! I know when I started, I sounded REALLY bad. Now, years later, I sound...less bad!

Many years ago an A&R rep for Polygram told me and my band that the most important thing is to try and develop your own unique sound. He said I sounded exactly like so and so, and he was right.

Depending on the style you do, breathing technique has a lot to do with how accurate you are in hitting proper pitches (if that's what you want to do; some people's style is to NOT hit the pitches accurately!)

Writing lyrics (good lyrics) is a skill that takes a long time to develop. A lot of people's first 50 or so songs are very cliche and predictable. My advice? If you've never written any lyrics, write 50 songs and when you're done, discard them. The 51st should be your first song.

(all totally imho of course).

that's actually some great advice, Odd Time.

For me..I simply embraced the fact that my voice sounds like Mr. Moose, and just worked hard to FIND a singer who's voice I DID like to come sing on my stuff. Some will do it for free, some you have to pay, and some will do it for beer :)

Ahhh! This one hit home for me!!

I finally got fed up with trying to explain what I want and then trying to find someone to sing my stuff, so I figured I would sing it myself, horrible as it is, and then find someone to repro what I wrote. I can hit pitch ok most of the time, but have some horrible transition areas (sorry you had to be tortured with it this weekend Dave!!!). I guess Melodyne could help there (need to figure the best way to use it in that manner).

My biggest problem is the "pushing air" thing. Being a mid/high level paraplegic, I simply do not have the diaphragm control to project fully. The only thing I have found that helps somewhat is turning everything downward almost 90 degrees; this forces me to lean forward, placing pressure on my diaphragm, and as I lean forward little by little, more air is forced. Not the best way to exert control over things, and it means facing the floor, and being closer to the floor- lol...

Once I get even that far though... yuck. I HATE my voice. The timbre is not the nice sultry (or smoke filled room, tore up "Demi Moore-ish" type) voice that I feel a 40 year old girl should have, but rather some 8 year old boys voice (thanks Mom! Your genes are so nice!). Add power, and I am almost ready to sing "Time To Change" (yes, ala the Brady's!). Maybe I am to sensitive and overly critical. Maybe I have simply heard Ann Wilson and Stevie Nicks too much and wished I could sound like either, or a nice combo of both. Ah well...

haha..no torture at all :) I think you'll be able to find a singer at some point that will lock into what you're doing...Always best to get the demos down, no matter what.

crap..I shoulda spent some Melodyne time with ya. Too busy with other stuff :) I use the plugin a lot...Pretty amazing what it can do.

hope to see ya again soon :) I had a blast.

Yes, I'm kinda in that boat.

For me, I can sing pitches well, and I can hear harmonies and hit them right on...but my technique is horrible. My breathing sucks, and I strain to hit the things that I do hit...so the tambre really sounds bad.

If I would be disciplined about practicing vocals like I do my other "real" instruments, then i could be a descent singer.

However, I do not, so the fault rests with me.

A large part of being a singer is to simply get beyond the fear and nervousness, and put it out there like you mean it.

Most successful singers, talented or not, have a certain energy and passion that they put into what they do that connects with people. There is something that they do beyond the words, the voice and the notes that sends the message to people so that they are drawn in.

The more you do it, the more natural it becomes.

As with everything, part of good musicianship is good showmanship.

Hi All

I too HATE my voice. It's not pretty like those sensitive boy band types and it's not deep like those death metal types. I can hit the notes okay but I just hate the way it SOUNDS. But then I turn on some old school punk and listen to these AWESOME songs with these guys and gals who cant sing a lick and all is well. If you can at least emotionally convey what you are trying to say that is really all that matters. Hendrix hated his voice. John Lennon hated his voice. Listen to Neil young or Bob Dylan. Are they pretty. NO way!!! But they all rock and that is because they believed in what they were doing and didn't care what anyone else thought. Also I like having my voice blend in with the music more than be up front. That is the old school punk in me I guess. :D

Have a good one :D

I think it's common to hate your voice if you haven't been taught anything (or too little to give you confidence).

I always used to hate my voice... sang in a 3-man formation, and usually sang 3rd voice (in rediculously high pitch :P). my voice always blended really well, but i never dared to sing solo, because it felt like my voice just lacked definition, confidence and brilliance. To me, it sounded like rubbing your cheek on a rough piece of carpet.

Now, 5 years later, I'm in a 60's rock band, and i sing half the songs in our repertoire, by myself. It really is a matter of being persistent, keep on singing even though you hate your sound... it graduately improves, plus your own voice grows on you... i think its mostly the fact that you're not used to what your voice sounds like.

My girlfriend told me managed to sound a little bit like Ryan Adams' Cold Roses. (Which sounds like rubbing your cheek on a rough piece of carpet, come to think of it...)

Been on that boat too. I did the following for a while, it might help:

1- make sure you're entirely alone of course. A drink might help too :wink:

2- plug your mic, and monitor yourself with headphones

3- Use all sorts of plugins; EQ, ensemble, reverb, compressor, limiter, but nothing that will modify the timbre, like vocoder or throat modeling... don't be afraid of drastic settings. Whatever makes your voice sound 'better' subjectively.

4- Once you've reached an 'acceptable' sound, record a take

5- Hear it on loudspeakers, and mess with the plugins even further, until you almost like it.

What other people hear when you sing is not very far from what you've recorded. You've just 'adapted' your voice to the recording environment, so that you can hear it outside of your head, minus the bone voice, as in, the part of the voice that reaches your ears through your skull.

True, using plenty of effects would alter your voice. But the point here is to get yourself to like it. The more you do, the more confidence you'll have, and the less effects you'll be using.

Of course, finding your ideal range and style, even words that sound better, is essential. Those will come with time

I used to have about 8 different plugins on my first voice recordings. Now, an EQ, a little ensemble and a compressor do the job. And I turned into a shameless singstar champion among friends

:D

I think postnuklear makes a really important point:

Of course, finding your ideal range and style, even words that sound better, is essential. Those will come with time

A lot of people think their voice should sound a particular way. Experiment with your voice. Try different colors. Pronounce words in various ways. Shape your mouth cavity and "throat" (pharynx) in different ways and see if you come up with some sounds you like.

I was originally trained classically and my teachers emphasized a "natural" sound. However, in listening to so many non-classical singers, I quickly realized that there were many ways to color the voice. And unless you're doing some things to shred your vocal chords, you're not likely to hurt anything.

Also, if you're singing your own stuff, try to find where your "break" is. The break is that gap between your regular voice and your falsetto. If you write your music around your break, it can be really hard to hold you pitch. Sometimes pitching down or up a few steps can make everything fall into place.

Mostly, have fun!

Im never a huge fan of my voice, it does depend what Im singing though. I can sing other peoples song easily! I can vocally improvise and i like the sounds coming out of my mouth but then become disatified with my own song. But I am over critical.

However my combat of this problem in my recent song is to talk over the bits I couldnt sing. I sing and layer up a lot of vocals in the chorus/middle 8th but through out the verse Im using speech (im not sure id call it rapping though)

I love producing my own instrumentals so in a few circumstances I have got in people to sing for me.

After mastering my song tonight Il post it up to get some opinions!

hey, i can relate too. As far as I am concerned, it is your style or the identity of your voice (delivery, feeling, way of phrasing etc.) that is going to reach out and grab someone, rather that if you have a really commercially good voice. There are so many singers who people love who do not have great voices, and many people who hit every note but I cant listen to a whole song. It takes time to figure out what you DO want to do with your voice, since you said you are new to singing. As far as I am concerned, record as much as you can (maybe dont erase those first 50 songs, ya never know what may turn you on later:-) and just get used to the sound of your voice, and see where your inspiration takes you. And if you like it, fine, if not, just continue. But never let outside critique deter you from trying anything. If you like it, keep on doing it.

Good Luck

www.jayfletcher.de

Hey biff_larken!

Did you try TC Helicon VoiceLive or similar products? You can be suprised when using one of these.

But, first of all, we must listen our voice and singing styles carefully. That' s what I did couple of years ago. Then I tried to raise a style to eliminate unwanted sounds of my voice. Now I am happy, on stage or in the studio.

Here are some video shots singing live: http://www.begumnoyan.com (Hit the ''Video'' tab)

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Basically, I'm the the position of not liking the sound of my voice, and not really being able to sing all that well, but for some reason, wanting to put vocals in my music (I've been doing instrumental for about 8 years now... I need a change). I have no experience writing lyrics either.

I look at a song like TMBG's 'I'm Impressed', and firmly believe that I can do something like that, vocal-wise. It's nothing really difficult, it's pretty basic, and it's in my range.

What it comes down to is that I'm terrified to even *begin* singing. Anyone else been in the same boat? How did you get out, or did you?

If you REALLY cannot sing and you realize it, you have done everyone a big favor. However, if you are capable of singing, then practice.

You like writing the music and now you need a lyricist and/or a singer. Find someone to collaborate with. You never know what you may find.

I think you're/we're making a mistake, and what OddTime touched on, is assuming that the best singers have great voices.

Think of all the vocalists who have really bad voices. Even John Linnell of TMBG falls under this - it's nasally, whiney, but it works. Tom Waits sounds like he's been gargling broken glass. Bjork is a crazy lady who throws in the occasional outburst. Ben Gibbard of Death Cab For Cutie and The Postal Service has the voice of the kid in school who wore headgear and got beat up after class.

I think what they all have in common is confidence. I think that takes a vocalist further in their performance than the actual timbre of their voice.

So, for you, you have to start somewhere. I'd suggest the car, driving to work. Put on music from vocalists that you admire and learn their songs. Then sing them. Don't worry, you're just in the car. Not to discount establishing your own style, but you have to start with something.

After a few weeks you'll probably realize that you aren't as bad as you thought, and you can keep going.

For lyrics - a lot of them sure suck these day. Yours probably aren't much worse. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I have very little to add. But I'm going to do it with full confidence. Much like the previously described singers should. Coming from a guy that can imitate lots of singers, but whose natural voice sounds like Frank Oz doing opera, you need to figure out how to unplug the part of your brain that cares. Keep in mind that you'll need accurate pitch (somewhat, lol) and emotion. Without the emotion, your lyrics will sound like karaoke versions of your songs. Which would suck.

So in closing, do what feels right, but care less about the outcome and sing with emotion like your life depends on it. Cuz it does.

• 1 month later...

focus on the sound, whatever that sound is.

basically, just keep recording yourself and listening to it, gradually tweaking away the things that make you cringe. eventually, you should cringe less and less and start liking it.

good advice all around here.

• 3 months later...

Hey this is how I do it. Create an alter ego,the alter ego allows you to get outside of yourself,u know, the anal side. Say whatever comes to mind when you write,I don't know your age,but use all of your past experiences when you approach a song.See the alter ego will allow you to say things that YOU yourself wouldn't say. Now as far as your singing ability,my question is do you play some sought of an instrument? how long have you been playing that instrument? your ears will tell you if your not in pitch,as far as vocal arrangement,listen to the records that you like to get a understanding of how to structure your words in a verse,chorus and bridge and other ear candy for your song.

Also use melodyne that is the cure for the common vocal.

• 2 weeks later...

Billy Corgan has maybe the most annoying voice out there and it has not stopped Smashing Pumpkins from selling platinum records.

Or. Go to any open mic event and realize that there are all kinds of voices out there, no need to worry about one's own.

Actually, the best advice, and the one I would have given to me 20 years ago (when I stopped singing because I didn't think I could sing...), is to go to a good voice instructor. They tell the proper breathing techniques, how to open up the areas that are stressed and stiff by those with no technique and it all opens up and your voice resonates. Practice 300+ hours and you suddenly realize that you could sing really well as well as control the voice. In addition, you don't get sick in the throat based on totally wrong way of singing, leading to all kinds of problems and even more stiffness in future.

The other thing with lots of singing is that you get familiar with it. Also, if you have as critical ear as when mixing, you know what to fix and improve. Again, a good voice instructor is a key here to fix any problems.

Or do like Tom Petty or Neil Young and just sing with your nasal area :-).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey this is how I do it. Create an alter ego,the alter ego allows you to get outside of yourself,u know, the anal side. Say whatever comes to mind when you write,I don't know your age,but use all of your past experiences when you approach a song.See the alter ego will allow you to say things that YOU yourself wouldn't say. Now as far as your singing ability,my question is do you play some sought of an instrument? how long have you been playing that instrument? your ears will tell you if your not in pitch,as far as vocal arrangement,listen to the records that you like to get a understanding of how to structure your words in a verse,chorus and bridge and other ear candy for your song.

Also use melodyne that is the cure for the common vocal.

This is something of a "psych" helper but it sure is quite effective and I do agree that,at least for some,it can make the difference.

And that's for music and lyrics too.

If you look at music history you can appreciate how many have used this "tecnique" to great extents and astonishing results,infact,music milestones.

Ziggy springs to mind,and those lovely fellas who,for a brief but intense period,pretended they were the "Lonely Hearts Club Band" of an ideal Sgt.Pepper.

Not to mention "collateral projects" taken outside their regular bands from already famous musicians just to free themselves a bit.

Ok,I'm talking relevant talents here,but we,mere mortals (or not?) would benefit just the same (or more so?) for something of a change.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really like my voice either. It's okay, but it's more in the baritone range so it's very hard for me to sing along to nearly any rock song. I really have to strain myself to get the notes out. My problem is I don't have the confidence to project enough, and use my diaphragm. When I'm at a party singing Rock Band or whatever, that's the only time I have the balls to belt out. I still think I sound really strained, but it's much better.

I (try to) make trance music and I really want to put some vocals in my songs. Something in this range:

Except my voice has no color or rasp to it :( It's really plain and kind of nasal. Those songs both have amazing vocals so maybe I shouldn't have use them as examples XD Any idea of how I could put more color and chest into my voice?

I don't really like my voice either. It's okay, but it's more in the baritone range so it's very hard for me to sing along to nearly any rock song. I really have to strain myself to get the notes out. My problem is I don't have the confidence to project enough, and use my diaphragm. When I'm at a party singing Rock Band or whatever, that's the only time I have the balls to belt out. I still think I sound really strained, but it's much better.

I (try to) make trance music and I really want to put some vocals in my songs. Something in this range:

Except my voice has no color or rasp to it :( It's really plain and kind of nasal. Those songs both have amazing vocals so maybe I shouldn't have use them as examples XD Any idea of how I could put more color and chest into my voice?

Voice instructor. Usually 4-times a week, $120-$140, worth it, provided you listen to them and practice between the instructions.

Also note that every human has their own unique voice, that's the way to go, rather than emulating someone else. But you need the proper instructions to keep intonation and not overuse your throat resulting in damage.