How to be a singer while hating your voice.

I'm with you. I'd rather hire/work with a really great singer than try and make my Mr. Moose voice sound better :)

It gets expensive and schedule-wise complicated long term compared with using your own voice and doing stuff anytime anywhere. Not that collaborations with other singers is a good thing to do, as well.

I do think in 90% of these cases it is just an internal, mental issue of expectations and reality, speaking from personal experience. You want a specific voice or sound and your genes generate another outcome. So it is a matter of going over that hump and accept your voice as it is.

I do think that any musician could be trained to sing properly, you can't do much if someone is tone deaf but I doubt anyone reading or posting on this forum has that problem. However, proper breathing in order to not destroy the throat and sing for a long time, as well as handling your range with your breath without intonation problems, all that could be trained and practiced.

my vocal coach told me I had great relative pitch, taught me the proper way to breathe, and still told me I just didn't have good tone to my voice. I took a few lessons just to learn. But..I still hire singers :)

could be my big jewish schnozola.

:)

-

Tone quality is relative. Nobody thinks for example Johnny Rotten or Billy Corgan has a good tone quality -- most likely most voice instructors would say the same. Anyway, they have the tonality and voice control trained so they could perform a whole evening without their voices dying in the middle of a song.

I do think that this world needs more unique voices, similar to David Bowie, David Burne et rest. So this is just for anyone else reading and wanted to sing. Just start, don't worry about your tonality. The least we need just now are Disney products: auto-corrected neutral/boring singers for another round of High School musicals...

:) good point... but then again...if one sounds like a combination of Mr Moose and Kermit the frog.....

in my days in a band, oh so many years ago..I used to sing all the falsetto and REALLY high Brian Wilson parts. It wasn't too bad when there were 4 other voices at the same time. But, on my own...no thanks :)

and I TOTALLY agree...there's not enough unique voices...Turn on the radio...all the women all sound the same..doing the same rediculous overdone runs and licks. all the guys sound like Coldplay/Nickleback, etc..

I'm trying really hard to think of something recently that was really unique...been a while. I was digging Amy Winehouse when she first hit.. not so much any more. Still think Pink and Christina A are the best female vocalists out there. I like David Cooks new stuff..but, frankly, it sounds like Daughtry to me....

of course...we could get back to that whole Dylan/Neil Young discussion..hahahah.

then again.. my fav singer of all time is Ray Charles.

-

and don't forget Louis Armstrong. U-nique. I think what makes Young and Dylan special is that they tell great stories. Granted, both are now parodies of their former selves. Even Robert Plant says he never held a note in his life, but we enjoyed listening to the stories.

and I TOTALLY agree...there's not enough unique voices...Turn on the radio...all the women all sound the same..doing the same rediculous overdone runs and licks. all the guys sound like Coldplay/Nickleback, etc..

whaaaaat? Chris Martin (Coldplay) has a great voice! :D

Also if you want to hear a really great female singer, listen to Imogen Heap. In addition to a huge range and amazing vocal control, she's pretty much a musical genius and she writes and produces all of her own songs.

I do think that this world needs more unique voices, similar to David Bowie, David Burne et rest. So this is just for anyone else reading and wanted to sing. Just start, don't worry about your tonality. The least we need just now are Disney products: auto-corrected neutral/boring singers for another round of High School musicals...

I read somewhere that Bowie was freaked out by how thin his voice sounded and was always asking his recording engineer to add some bottom end. But that supposed thinness didn't stop him from doing his thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Dumb question to add, but where does one find a "vocal coach"? There's a music store nearby in middletown, ct that gives lessons on many instruments, but the teachers are generally pretty young (early-20s-looking, not that that means anything, but they are not hugely experienced). Would lessons at a place like that be a vocal coach - or does one need to look elsewhere?

Dumb question to add, but where does one find a "vocal coach"? There's a music store nearby in middletown, ct that gives lessons on many instruments, but the teachers are generally pretty young (early-20s-looking, not that that means anything, but they are not hugely experienced). Would lessons at a place like that be a vocal coach - or does one need to look elsewhere?

Best is to ask around and find out from someone else who they recommend. Just don't go for the first craigslist posting, that's for sure.

:) good point... but then again...if one sounds like a combination of Mr Moose and Kermit the frog.....

Still think Pink and Christina A are the best female vocalists out there.

-

Couldn't agree more about Pink - awesome singer. Listen to Dear Mr President on utube, the one she does with the Indigo Girls. Amazing.

Edit: Here it is....http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=9eDJ3cuXKV4

However, I just can't bring myself to be overly critical of "It's Not Easy Being Green"...lol

well here is my two cents on the matter.

People tell me i am a amazing vocalist. People Love to hear me sing. And when they want it i give it to them.

but

I think i am a terrible Vocalist.

and i think i think that because i hear everything i record, and when your writing and coming up with melodys and such it sometimes does't turn out great. and then on top of that...i have pretty high expectations of my self. I compare myself to great vocalist.

It always seems like the producer / artist always hates their voice.

but it constantly gets better.

Im a firm believer in the idea that:

Even if you have a bad singing voice, if you have stage presence and character coupled with really good and meaningful lyrics, it really doesnt matter. as long as you can hit the notes, its permissable to have a bad voice. look at Bob Dylan, The Offspring, Beastie Boys, KANYE WEST's NEW ALBUM for cryin out loud. kanye. singing. what the f*%@.

Well, I'm soon to be giving free lessons on vocal training, two of my friends are professional vocal coaches/singers and another is upcoming, anyone that wants lessons to improve their voice, the way it sounds when talking or singing then contact me!

Singing is the most vulnerable thing you can do...if you play a mediocre guitar part, that sucks, but you can live with yourself...sing a crappy vocal...ouch! It's just so personal. I hated my voice for years...took lessons, still hated it, took more lessons, hated it less...eventually started a side band and became the singer because I felt even though my voice wasn't as good to my ears as some other singers, I was the best at interpreting my own music/lyrics...one day I woke up and found that I had a few records out that people liked and I sang on them, so I must be a singer :)

Your voice has something to offer that no other voice does, if you can get your head around your strengths and get over personal hangups.

My favorite 'singers?' Tom Waits, Howling Wolf, Paul Westerberg, John Lydon...people who can SELL their lyrics...people who write great words and sing them with meaning...everyone has said basically the same thing, but there is more to it than technical perfection, whatever that is!

-Mark