Quick Guide to OS X shortcuts, Part II

David Nahmani

In the Quick Guide to OS X shortcuts, Part I, we discussed several key commands that help improve your workflow when managing files and folders on your Desktop.

As we will see in this Part II, a lot of those key commands can be used in a Finder Window as well, plus a few more. This makes navigating your Macintosh computer easier, faster and smoother, and by extending this guide to the Finder Window, you can now access virtually anything on your Mac without touching your mouse. This proves invaluable when performing repetitive tasks such as accessing Samples, repairing permission, and many others.

First, you'll need to open a Finder Window. You can simply go to your Dock and click on the Finder icon. Or you could use Key Commands!

Go to Next Application Command-Tab

Go to Previous Application Command-Shift-Tab

Go to Next Window (within application) Command-~

Go to Previous Window (within application) Command-Shift-~

Open a New Finder Window Command-N

Finder Window as Icon View Command-1

Finder Window as List View Command-2

Finder Window as Column View Command-3

Go to Computer (see all volumes) Command-Shift-C

Go to Home Folder Command-Shift-H

Go to Application Folder Command-Shift-A

Go to Utilities Folder Command-Shift-U

So let's say you are in Logic and need to access a sample on your Audio Drive, in order to drag and drop it onto your Arrange Window.

Sure, you can reach for the mouse, but try this:

Command-Tab to reach the Finder

Command-N to open a new Finder Window

Let's say you are in the Finder and need to repair your permissions:

Command-Shift-U to open the Utilites Folder

Now there are a few more ways to navigate inside a Finder Window. I like to use the Column View myself, so that I can see the whole path of the folder I am in. You need to make your Finder Window big enough for that.

Go Inside Folder Tab

Go back to Parent Folder Command-(up-arrow)

Select Folder or File Type in the first few letters of the name

Open File or Launch Application Command-(down-arrow)

Note that you can also do more basic navigation with your arrow keys.

Now let's say you need to repair permissions:

Command-Tab to reach the Finder

Command-Shift-U to open the Utility Folder

• Type in "Di" (for "Disk Utility)

Command-(down-arrow) to launch

• Click on "repair permissions"

OK, this time you just downloaded a Channel Strip Preset from Logic Pro Help and want to navigate to the correct folder to move it to:

• Command-Shift-H

• Type "L"

• Press Tab

• Type "Ap"

• Press Tab

• Type "L"

• Press Tab

• Type "C"

Give it a try!

• 7 months later...

re Column View:

I find it really fast as long as I don't inadvertently end up clicking on a big avi file on a network volume or removable disk. If I do, QuickTime will hold up the entire finder until it can generate a preview.

I wish there was a way to turn this feature off.

re Column View:

I find it really fast as long as I don't inadvertently end up clicking on a big avi file on a network volume or removable disk. If I do, QuickTime will hold up the entire finder until it can generate a preview.

I wish there was a way to turn this feature off.

In the Finder:

Click "View > Show View Options" (or press COMMAND - J)

Uncheck "Show Preview Column"

Voila!!

I hope this helps. :D

Edited by matwell

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this is general knowledge but Exposé works nicely together with drag&drop, too.

Let's say you quickly want to drag some file from the Finder into another window that is obscured. Just grab the file, hit F9 (or your custom hotkey) or go to the hotcorner, move over your target window, hit space or wait 2 secs and there you go!

Very handy and always looks cool 8)

• 5 weeks later...

command and push the track ball forward and backward on the mighty mouse for a zoom.

If you don't have a mighty mouse:

hold,option-command and then + and -

I think this only works in 10.4.7

You can also zoom in the arrange window in logic with the mighty mouse

Hold option and play with the tracking ball on the mighty mouse, left,right,up,down :)

• 3 weeks later...
another one of my favorites is:

Control-F3 It pulls up the dock,then just hit enter/return to start the application

Another thing that I have done is put my application folder in the dock,right next to the trash can

Thanks for that one!

One of my favorites:

Only in Tiger, command-space bar opens Spotlight. You can then type a partial title to get to the file or application that you want, then hit enter to open the file or run the app.

Works great for those apps that don't get used enough to warrant being in the dock.

• 7 months later...

I don't know if I should add this here or not ... but if not, I am sure that David will move!

Dictionary : Press and hold: Control --> Command (Apple) --> "D" --> now let go of "D" while holding the other (2) keys --> run your cursor over a word and voila! Instant Dictionary!

I just learned this today from my buddy in Russia!

Kewl trick, eh?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dictionary : Press and hold: Control --> Command (Apple) --> "D" --> now let go of "D" while holding the other (2) keys --> run your cursor over a word and voila! Instant Dictionary!

THis is really useful - I guess this means there is a Dictionary on Board the OSX system.. which I never new. Is it possible to use this feature with other languages? If so how would one use it say for french.. if you had a french text on your computer?

• 4 weeks later...

Control-F3 It pulls up the dock,then just hit enter/return to start the application

Another thing that I have done is put my application folder in the dock,right next to the trash can

It seems that this works when you press Command+Option+D as well (at least in Leopard).

It seems that this works when you press Command+Option+D as well (at least in Leopard).

Oops. It doesn't select the application this way. It merely shows and hides the Dock. Control-F3 is superior and I tip my hat at thee.

is there any way you can customize the keycommands for the OS like you can for logic? cuz that would be cool! i would assign command L to open logic!

I deleted all keycommands in OSX and use Spark,..the ultimate free shortcut tool.

Create shortcuts for opening any apps, folders, Scripts, docs, and even complete text,... you name it and shortcut it 8)

1205016786_Afbeelding1.png.a9e71a0ce5b65a664bcf5c3631c15673.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys so this is has been bugging me for a long time. On a PC whenever a dialogue box comes up (save, don't save, cancel) you can use the arrow keys to select which option you want and then hit enter.

How do you do this on a mac, i've tried endless combinations trying to figure it out. Any tips?

Im on 10.4.11

Another goody is lets say you have a safari page open. And you run a search using apple-F and lets say you get 10 hits. You can cycle through the hits using the arrow keys. Or if you then hit done, you can use apple-G to cycle through them without have the search bar open at the top of the page. Very useful if you search for something then want to search again five or 20 minutes later.

• 2 months later...
Ok guys so this is has been bugging me for a long time. On a PC whenever a dialogue box comes up (save, don't save, cancel) you can use the arrow keys to select which option you want and then hit enter.

How do you do this on a mac, i've tried endless combinations trying to figure it out. Any tips?

Im on 10.4.11

enter=yes,

esc = no,

apple + D or Just D depends on the app = don't save

oh, Apple key + . = stop whatever you are doing at the time, copyng ,rendering,etc, etc...

I like ctrl alt apple + 8 just for kicks :-)

• 3 months later...

Im on 10.4.11

First you have to turn your keyboard for full access, mine shortcut for this is Control F7, but I think the default is F7, and after that turned on, you could alternate the options on box, with the TAB key, but not with the arrows, and after your choice, you have to press Space bar, and not Return, cause with return, you will be choosing the default option for that dialogue, with TAB + Space bar, you choose and confirm your option. Hope it helps.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Im on 10.4.11

Go to System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Keyboard Shortcuts, at the bottom there are two options under 'Full keyboard Access'... change this to 'All controls'. There you have it. 'Text boxes and lists only' is the default setting on macs... but by clicking 'All controls' it will right this wrong!

So let's say you are in Logic and need to access a sample on your Audio Drive, in order to drag and drop it onto your Arrange Window.

Sure, you can reach for the mouse, but try this:

• Command-Tab to reach the Finder

• Command-N to open a new Finder Window

Try this as a different way of opening a Finder window... rather than pressing Command-N to open a new Finder Window simply press Command-Tab to reach the Finder (as instructed before), then whilst remaining hold of Command let go of tab and press Option... then release Command.

Actually very handy... Not one that will save you much time but is a neat feature introduced in Leopard.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know how to make the finder window in column view, to adjust each column's width to match the biggest filename length inside it?

I am so tired of having to move the width of each column manually to display the full names of some of my files.

Does anyone know how to make the finder window in column view, to adjust each column's width to match the biggest filename length inside it?

I am so tired of having to move the width of each column manually to display the full names of some of my files.

I keep doing that too. I'm not sure if there's a shortcut for that - that would be GREAT!

I keep doing that too. I'm not sure if there's a shortcut for that - that would be GREAT!

Double - click the column size button will automatically expand the column.

Option - Double - click, resizes all columns that needs resizing.

Option - Shift - Double - click, resizes all columns.

This will also work in Logics Open or Save dialog windows.

Eric and Rounik, you guys have just made my day, in a beautiful and geeky kind of way! :D

Here's a few I find useful:

Copy title to SaveAs field:

When naming files in a Save As dialogue, if you want to use more-or-less the same name as a previous version, click on the greyed out name in the Finder and that will be what shows up in the name field. I find this very useful for when I'm doing versions - I just click on the last version and then change the very last letter in the field:

"Moodysong_D2" ..... "Moodysong_D3"

Indent name to put folder at top of list

Indenting the name of a folder puts it at the top of a list. This can make some things easy to find in a long list.

Save to Desktop

In the save dialogue, Command-D, when saving for the first time.

Change Permissions on several things at once

Use a variant of Get Info (Command-I) by using Option-Command-I, then change the permissions. Also useful if you're hopping around from file to file and don't want to have to keep opening the Get Info window. Option-Command-I will keep it open.

Keep Window out of Rotate Application windows Command

Command-Tilde, which rotates windows within an app will ignore any minimized windows.