Quick Guide to OS X shortcuts, Part II

David Nahmani

II like to use the Column View myself, so that I can see the whole path of the folder I am in.

Not sure when it was added, but I'm running 10.5, and there is an option in the Finder under the View menu called Show/Hide Path Bar.

I'm a List View person... turning this on displays the path at the bottom of the window.

• 1 month later...
II like to use the Column View myself, so that I can see the whole path of the folder I am in.

Not sure when it was added, but I'm running 10.5, and there is an option in the Finder under the View menu called Show/Hide Path Bar.

I'm a List View person... turning this on displays the path at the bottom of the window.

Yeah, that's one of my faves (Show Path Bar).

Can't remember if it's possible in 10.5, but in 10.6 you can double click on an Folder in the Path Bar to navigate to it and even move and copy files and folders by dragging them onto folders in the Path bar.

You can also:

Command Click on the name/icon in the top middle of a Finder windows Toolbar to display a drop down "Path" menu.

:)

Here's another cool one (I hope it has not already been mentioned)...

Fine volume adjustment in the Finder:

Shift+Option+ the volume keys (F11 and 12 here)....instead of going up or down block by block, it takes 4 presses to fill one of those blocks. Nice.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/17/2010/04/340x_volume-increments_02.jpg

Cheers,

J.

Shift+Option+ the volume keys (F11 and 12 here)....instead of going up or down block by block, it takes 4 presses to fill one of those blocks. Nice.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/17/2010/04/340x_volume-increments_02.jpg

Cheers,

J.

And Shift - Volume Up/Down makes the steps without the "plup" sound. (if enabled > default)

Cheers,

J.

And Shift - Volume Up/Down makes the steps without the "plup" sound. (if enabled > default)

Since we're on the Volume/sound topic, here's a couple more:

Option + any volume control key on keyboard opens the Sound Preferences.

Option click on the Volume control in the Menu Bar gives extra controls like being able to set the preferred input and output device.... Sorry if these have already been mentioned :)

• 1 year later...
Ok guys so this is has been bugging me for a long time. On a PC whenever a dialogue box comes up (save, don't save, cancel) you can use the arrow keys to select which option you want and then hit enter.

How do you do this on a mac, i've tried endless combinations trying to figure it out. Any tips?

Im on 10.4.11

cmd-s or enter for Save (if Save is the darkest (default) button.

cmd-. or esc for cancel

cmd-D for don't save.

No arrows.

• 3 months later...

OK, this time you just downloaded a Channel Strip Preset from Logic Pro Help and want to navigate to the correct folder to move it to:

• Command-Shift-H

• Type "L"

• Press Tab

• Type "Ap"

• Press Tab

• Type "L"

• Press Tab

• Type "C"

Give it a try!

I just download it to whatever folder, enter that folder (my main download folder is in Finders sidebar) press CMD+C, go to my channel strip settings folder (which is again in Finders sidebar) and press CMD+V (or enter/create a subfolder before).

- Sascha

So how do you go to that folder? The purpose of the exercise was to not use the mouse at all.

Hm, correct, seems as if I kinda misread the title. Sorry.

Anyway, here's the answer: In most save menus, press tab 5 times, then scroll down using the arrow keys. Unfortunately, the entire sidebar (as well as the Finder content columns) isn't highlighted once you tabbed there.

That's why I usually use the mouse. I wish there was an easier way (without the mouse) as I find it extremely useful to have certain folders in the sidebar.

- Sascha

• 7 months later...
And completely unrelated:

Control-Option-Command-Eject shuts down your computer.

Sometimes my MBPro shows dark bands on the bottom of the display, and the best solution is to restart the display itself, with the Control-Shift-Eject combination.

But I forget everytime this combination and use the David one...

Thanks to remind me the wrong one, David...

:mrgreen: