Balancing DSP load on multi core CPUs

David Nahmani

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
I dont want to save CPU power , in fact i want to use ALL the CPU power in all cores acting like one big core, like it should be.... and not like one and three, or five and one, and then kind of all, but suddenly just one full , in my 8 core Machine......

• 3 weeks later...

How is Logic using the multiple cores while in "Live Input Mode"? Is all of Logic running on only one core when in Live Input Mode?

Reading the linked article it seems that all of Logic goes down to using only one core when an instrument track is selected and Logic's placed in Live Input Mode. Or does that apply to that particular channel alone?

Sorry for the confusion..

• 3 weeks later...
Still no work around for instruments with aux channels. Every insert will be processed by one core.a real pita. I am surprised that more people are frustrated by this incredibly annoying lack of proper parallel processing. It is quite crippling.

One instrument per core. If you have a Multitimbral instance with 8 auxes, it is still one instrument. If you want parallel processing, create 8 separate instances.

this is where ut gets even more weird, I can load several instances of WIVI and as long as I have no AUX, the processing is shared but the second I eable the 3 AUX for each, bammm, all the instruments are now powered by only 1 core.

Individuals are having this usse with other instruments as well.I assumed Kontakt would be the same but I will try it out.

• 2 months later...
this may be offtopic, but is there a way to use 2 Apple computers to take the load off of the host computer? to somehow use the slave computer for helping with all of the processing? through ethernet or somesort?

Yes, Distributed Audio Processing:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=2%26section=6%26tasks=true

• 6 months later...

i have not ever got the node thing to work. Neither has anyone i know. I gave up on that. I honestly have yet to meet a person that has it working,

I have 2 Mac Pros.

with the same sound card

With the same ram and hard-rive configuration.

A legitimate copy of logic.

The node is recognized, but that is as far as it goes.

i have not ever got the node thing to work. Neither has anyone i know. I gave up on that. I honestly have yet to meet a person that has it working.

I know a LOT of people who have it working - and I have myself used it and made it work for many clients without a problem. If you're experiencing a problem and want us to help you figure it out, please post a new thread in the "Logic" forum, but first update your signature: Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#5).

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hi David,

Concerning the use of Nodes, I was reading that the fact to select in the Arrange, a V.I. track is counteracting the core sharing effect of the Node. Does that mean that selecting another track than a V.I. (such as selecting an Audio track instead), while still having the VI tracks record-enabled would make the core-sharing working and being still able to play these V.I. (audible) in realtime?

I intend on purchasing a Mac Mini to use as a Node slave to my MacBookPro.

Should I be concerned about the fact that the Mac Mini would be running (OSX) Lion while my MacBookPro is still running Snow-Leopard?

There is mention about having to deactivate the firewall; should I be concerned if I am using Airport (WIFI) to access the internet?

There is also mention of interconnecting the computers via Ethernet and avoid using that connection for other purpose. Considering that I am using Euphonix Artist controller (connected via Ethernet), is there a way to solve or prevent eventual problem with Node?

Thanx in advance for your help and understanding!

• 10 months later...
Yes. The OS's should be identical.

The manual doesn't say anything about the OS in each machine being identical. Where did you get this info, Erik?

J.

Hi

I have just tested Logic Node on a Mini Server running OSX.6.8, hooked up to a MacPro (OSX.7.5). Works OK

Note that you should be running the same version of Logic/Logic Node (and you have to run Logic in 32 bit mode)

CCT

• 10 months later...