Basic Korg NanoKontroller Environment

I had some time to do a bit more digging......and my previous statement is not exactly true. The routings from Shiver's environment are actually still working just fine. I made the false assumption (previously stated) when I found that my Virtual Instrument knob (controller) assignments quit working after plugging in the nano Key.

After tinkering a bit further I found that if I have the nano Kontrol plugged into my MBP all of my Controller Assignments for Virtual Instrument parameters work fine, but when I plugged in the nano Key the Controller Assignments I made for all of the Virtual instruments using the nano Kontrol automatically change to the nano Key in the MIDI input pulldown of the Controller Assignment window.

Perhaps this is where I could use a little education. When I made my nano Kontrol controller assignments for all of the virtual instruments I did so in the (No Zone) Zone. My reasoning for this was that I would be able to reach for a knob at any time and whatever instrument I had selected at the time would be routed. (FYI...I should mention that I have all of these routing on Scene 2 of the nano Kontrol so as not to interfere with Shiver's environment routings on Scene 1).

Do I need to create a separate zone for the nano Kontrol to keep the MIDI Input from changing when I plug in the nano Key? Is there something else I need to understand?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Eventually I will 'tie' everything together including the automation.

I went as far as 16 banks of 8 channels for each section (i.e.128 of audio, 128 of Instrument... ).

That includes the volume. pan, mute, solo, 8 busses per channels and the 14/15 inserts for FX and instruments.

This is still using only the 1st scene.

For now, I would suggest using scene 2 and the learn function for the automation of anything you wish to automate.

Hi Shiv,

Your previous upload works great for 8 channels,

Could you kindly upload your new environment setting?

I'm going to give up on the nanoKontrol if I can't get it to work more than 8 channels.

I've been futzing around for 4 hours with the new patch from Korg... it's mapped all wrong. They've obviously run out of cc numbers, and tried to bluff their way through it. Plus the instructions that came with the patch and the device are both woefully inadequate.

I just want something to work!

Korg, if you're listening...

Pay Shiv $10,000 to fix your crappy patch so Logic users can use this cool device as intended. :wink:

I've tried with all the templates, including the one from Korg and I'm still having extreme difficulty. With the templates here, it appears fine on the editor, writes ok, but then fails to work. The only control that works is pan on group 1 and that only works on the track that's highlighted. Transport works fine from learning

I also have a keyboard attached (edirol pcr m50). Could that be part of the problem?

Using the 32ch template also doesn't seem to work. When I open the environment window it crashes Logic

MBP 4gb ram

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I did to make the Korg template to work:

1. Downloaded the Logic 8 template, USB midi drivers, Korg editor from Korg.

2. Install Drivers and editor. NOTE: I needed to reboot to make the devices to show up properly in audio midi setup.

3. Plug in everything and open Korg Editor. Drag and drop the Logic template over the application so you see it loaded in the top window (looking scarily much like a windows port).

4. Go, Connections -> Write data/set. Do'em both to make sure. Close program.

5. Copy the .cs file from template into user/Library/Preferences. Back up and overwrite any existing file.

6. Open up Logic and take a look in Preferences->Control surfaces->Assign..->Expert view.

7. If nanoKontrol shows up as a zone with shitloads of assignments you're good to go. Make sure every assignment is set to use the nanoKontrol midi intput. You need to change them all or this will not work.

Didn't follow this particular order but I narrowed it down after about three hours of headache. Now it works like a charm. No editing or adding of Environment needed.

Haven't tried shivermetimbers setup yet. It looks promising so I'll try it out in a bit. Great work!

Now if only the nanoKey didn't have two dull keys I couldn't have been any happier!

Here's what I did to make the Korg template to work:

Did pretty much the same process before reading the post above, good tips/summary. I concur it does work and it is pretty quick.

However the Korg template is missing the slider for channel 2 and both buttons for channel 1 - used learn function to add them (scene 1 only so far). Did have to change all of the Midi assignments to be NanoKontrol. It works pretty cool, no environments - which frankly I don't want to learn event though I probably should.

I will say the Korg code is dirty. Open the readme and you will see bad text, just corrupt looking UTF-8 text. Maybe written on a PC/Mac set to Japanese Kanji? I believe the .cs (control surface) file that goes in prefs is probably just as dirty. Too bad these Apple pref files are not simple XML files like the old days. Then I could open it up and add the missing buttons and slider. If anyone knows how to open a .cs file and manually edit then please post. They are a combo of text and machine code.

Check out shivermetimbers's post about the MMC checkbox in Midi prefs.

hyddan -- if all of your buttons worked with the Korg template "out of the box" -- can you post the link you got it from or post the file? (com.apple.logic.pro.cs)

OH - almost forgot. If you leave the buttons to "momentary" in the Kontrol Editor and set them to "rotate" in the Logic assignment area it works correctly. Go figure, but "rotate" make the buttons on/off toggle with one press.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

All buttons work as they should but I forgot about one thing!

Somewhere along the way I did a 'Rebuilt Assignments' from Logic->preferences->control surfaces, while I had Korgs template .cs file in Preferences.

It did absolutely nothing, nor did it erase any assignments I already had, but the controller started at least moving sliders.

I overwrote the .cs file again after that.

Although I'm pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with getting this to work, I thought I should mention it.

com.apple.logic.pro.cs

My .cs file. Should be exactly the same as Korgs template, except all midi channels set to nanoKontrol.

• 1 month later...
Setting the Transport commands will work using the MMC setting. This will save you from using the 'Learn' function.

After you have set the Transport values and transmitted (write) them to your NanoK, go into Logic's Midi prefs and set the MMC listen box.

I picked up the NanoKontrol the other day, and thanks to Shiver's excellent instructions it's almost all already working. The transport buttons aren't, however! I set Logic to "listen to MMC input" but when I press the "play" button on the transport, the pan knob on channel one goes nuts! But no playing happens. Any ideas? Am I supposed to teach logic to play when it hears a certain MMC number, or teach the controller what the MMC number for play is in Logic? I'm still fairly new to all of this.

Cheers,

Setting the Transport commands will work using the MMC setting. This will save you from using the 'Learn' function.

After you have set the Transport values and transmitted (write) them to your NanoK, go into Logic's Midi prefs and set the MMC listen box.

I picked up the NanoKontrol the other day, and thanks to Shiver's excellent instructions it's almost all already working. The transport buttons aren't, however! I set Logic to "listen to MMC input" but when I press the "play" button on the transport, the pan knob on channel one goes nuts! But no playing happens. Any ideas? Am I supposed to teach logic to play when it hears a certain MMC number, or teach the controller what the MMC number for play is in Logic? I'm still fairly new to all of this.

Cheers,

I would suggest changing the Nano settings back to what the Download is set to and then use the Key commands and learn the Play, Stop, and Record functions from the Key command window (bottom right).

The MMC does work, but it is project dependent. The Learn method is more permanent.

Switch to scene 2 or 3 and use the Learn function for your favorite FX or instrument plug ins.

The Nano is a basic unit, but it can get complicated when interacting with Logic.

I usually start my projects with the nano template. I will use the Mixer screen (all tab) to select the channels I need to show in the Arrange window. After that is set up I can switch back to the Arrange tab in the mixer screen.

Cheers,

I would suggest changing the Nano settings back to what the Download is set to and then use the Key commands and learn the Play, Stop, and Record functions from the Key command window (bottom right).

The MMC does work, but it is project dependent. The Learn method is more permanent.

Switch to scene 2 or 3 and use the Learn function for your favorite FX or instrument plug ins.

The Nano is a basic unit, but it can get complicated when interacting with Logic.

I usually start my projects with the nano template. I will use the Mixer screen (all tab) to select the channels I need to show in the Arrange window. After that is set up I can switch back to the Arrange tab in the mixer screen.

I used your template, but whenever I change anything it stops working. Obviously I'm going to have to learn how to handle the environment (maybe get Macprovideo.com's environment tutroial). But I can't believe it's such a complicated process just to use the NanoKontroller with Logic!!!

PS: How do I use the learn function to map the transport keys. Things are quickly making less sense to me!!!

Cheers,

I used your template, but whenever I change anything it stops working. Obviously I'm going to have to learn how to handle the environment (maybe get Macprovideo.com's environment tutroial). But I can't believe it's such a complicated process just to use the NanoKontroller with Logic!!!

PS: How do I use the learn function to map the transport keys. Things are quickly making less sense to me!!!

Cheers,

To map the xport keys, use the KEY Commands in Logic preferences. Search for PLAY, STOP, REC and assign them to the NanoK with the Learn assignment button.

I would recommend NEVER changing anything in SCENE 1 of the NanoK because that is the scene set up to control the kingdom of Logic.

Use scene 2 or 3 to do other things or for the LEARN function of Logic.

I have the transport buttons working but not quite how I want them. I'd like to assign the 'loop' button on the Nano as 'Pause'. It's set as mmc and I've done the 'listen for mmc' bit in Logic, but no matter what I do I can't get it to act as the pause button. It just does nothing.

Any ideas anyone?

First post - great forum! (and I bought the book 6 months ago - brilliant)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. This environment stuff is still completely new to me. I followed the directions in the OP and most of it works fine in the environment-whatever, but some still don't register correctly (group 5 knob not working, group 2 slider not working, and group 6 solo button not working) but if I just choose to Learn and manually assign each thing it seems to suit my needs. I posted this in another topic but got directed here:

I downloaded the template here at the KORG website, and now whenever I open up Logic I hit "command + L" to go into learn mode and set up the channels. I only used it with a minimal track demo so far, but I assigned Tracks 1-8 to control levels, panning, mute and solo. I assume I'd do this learning process with every new project I create in Logic, but my little experience with this leads me to question if there is a more efficient way of doing this or if other Logic users have a different preference.

Edit:

Upon re-reading of this topic, this entire thing is a nightmare! I'm going to try hyddan's approach, but unless this quote below becomes a reality the environment approach is dangerously confusing to me:

I should do a youtube vid.

:roll:

Roll those eyes, but I'm sure many of us forum goes would be much obliged with the help :)

I know for myself that I can read something over and over, but only until someone explains it to me with visuals will I actually get it!

Hi All,

I just received the nanoK and have tried several suggestions but can't seem to figure them out. I've tried using the Learn function, but can't set individual faders to tracks, only the selected track is affected. I'm just looking for a simple setup to control volume,pan,solo,mute for 32 channels. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I tried Shiv's setup but it doesn't seem to work properly for me. Fader 7 controls volume, 3 solo, 9 mute, knob 1 pan, lower buttons 1 & 2 turn on sends 1 & 2 on whatever track is selected. What am I doing wrong?

I tried Shiv's setup but it doesn't seem to work properly for me. Fader 7 controls volume, 3 solo, 9 mute, knob 1 pan, lower buttons 1 & 2 turn on sends 1 & 2 on whatever track is selected. What am I doing wrong?

Hi glanz,

The very 1st thread of this post explains it.

There are two parts to download.

The 1st is the actual Logic environment and the 2nd is the NanoKontrol template.

Open the Korg Template and under the Communications tab, click on the WRITE SET and WRITE DATA. That will load the settings.

Scene 1 is for the Logic environment. Use scenes 2,3, and 4 for other things such as the LEARN function.

If you used scene 1 for the LEARN function, you will need to delete anything that was learn because it will over ride the environment.

Once you have the korg template loaded/written and d/l the environment, eveything should work.

All 32 audio, instrument, and 8 aux tracks are loaded and can be viewed by selecting the ALL tab in the mixer window. Add the ones you need to the arrange window and then use the Arrange tab in the mixer window.

If you plan on using this, it would be a good idea to save as a template first.

Naturally, everything makes sense to me since I made it. Everything may not make sense to you. Feel free to ask questions here or with a pm.

Hi,

When I connect the AXION 25 also to logic the NK stops working.

How is that?

Thanx

I do not have an Axiom to try out.

Open a new template without the NanoK environment.

If you have the Axiom and the NK connected, what does the Physical Input look like in the Clicks and Ports screen of the environment?

Does the Axiom show up in this screen?

1118673108_Picture2.png.2ad43180cc9260bdbacbd52c8c4533c5.png

Hi,

I did some experimenting with pluging various MIDI controllers into my Mac...

Logic behaves unpredictably with its Controller Assignments preferences. I'm not an expert, so this is just an idea: check out what's happening in Controller Assignment Expert View (Command+K) window after connecting or disconnecting your MIDI controllers. It seems that some settings update depending on what's connected, Input Message => MIDI Input setting in particular. So, if you connect or disconnect any MIDI gear while Logic is on, Controller Assignments get corrupted.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
K so all the settings on my nano k are right. I have a project i'm currently working on. Do i need to import or replace the environment in my project from your template or should it just work no matter what project your in? When im in the project you posted everything works fine. I just want to be able to do the same in my own project? Help

K so all the settings on my nano k are right. I have a project i'm currently working on. Do i need to import or replace the environment in my project from your template or should it just work no matter what project your in? When im in the project you posted everything works fine. I just want to be able to do the same in my own project? Help

Not that it matters much, but which version of Logic are you using? Also which nanoKontrol are you using (old or new)?

I noticed on page 1 that you're also having issues with Logic trashing the CS prefs (for me it happens every time Logic crashes...which also seems to be only when I'm trying to map controller assignments). There's a script at OpusLocus.com that allows you to save and restore multiple CS prefs files. Saved my butt a few times already.

I noticed on page 1 that you're also having issues with Logic trashing the CS prefs (for me it happens every time Logic crashes...which also seems to be only when I'm trying to map controller assignments). There's a script at OpusLocus.com that allows you to save and restore multiple CS prefs files. Saved my butt a few times already.

Thanks, but that was in Logic 8. I don't have that issue in LP9.

In fact, I don't even keep my controller assignments because it takes me only a few minutes to set up everything I need and the fact that I hardly use a controller.