I'm Deciding Between Logic and DP

Thanks, David--having seen how helpful you've been to cats who know what they're doing, it's kind of an honor to have you involved in my problems. ;)

"Audio: record Audio, playback Audio

MIDI Instrument: record MIDI, playback MIDI (and direct it to your MIDI interface to trigger an external, hardware MIDI Instrument).

Audio Instrument (hybrid): record MIDI, playback Audio (generated from the software instrument inserted in the 'input' slot of the Audio Instrument Object). "

This is a good way to think, but the graphics don't reflect it, do they? Is there a track you can create with the heading Midi Instrument? What am I missing besides the big picture?

"You can use 'Universal Access' (in your system preferences) to zoom on your screen. Default key commands are usually: Command-Option-8 to toggle on/off, then Command-Option-+ to zoom in, and '-' (minus) to zoom out.

"

I did discover a zoom command, but the screen moves around when you mouse on the enlarged screen--that doesn't happen to you?

My pleasure!

This is a good way to think, but the graphics don't reflect it, do they?

If you're talking about the icons on the tracks, then... well those are customizable as well so really you could have any graphic representing any kind of instrument. By default though, Audio Tracks have an orange "waveform" icon, Audio Instruments have a blue "note+waveform" icon (which repressent the hybrid MIDI > Audio nature of those objects), while MIDI Tracks have an instrument icon (piano, synth, bass, guitra, violins.... which confuses everybody because they wonder why they don't get any sound).

Rather than looking at the icon for that information, look at the channel strip when the track is selected. An audio channel strip is immediately recognizable from a MIDI channel strip (which doesn't have plug-in insert slots nor meters). On an Audio channel strip, look at the label between the i/o section and the pan knob. It will tell you what kind of audio channel you're looking at (Track, Instrument, Aux, Bus....).

As for the zoom, go to the Apple menu and look at your System Preferences under "Universal Control". There are a few options for navigating when zoomed in.

"By default though, Audio Tracks have an orange "waveform" icon, Audio Instruments have a blue "note+waveform" icon (which repressent the hybrid MIDI > Audio nature of those objects), "

These are so small on my 17" screen that I didn't even realise they were waveforms and notes until today. Listen, I'll roll with the punches, I promise. But I still fail to understand the 'hybrid nature' of what seems to be nothing more than a midi performance. Yes, you can turn it into an audio performance, but it's still a sequenced note coming from a synth module, isn't it? Not sure how its different from a midi note on my XV5080 triggered by my old MC50MKll hardware sequencer. But it's ok, I'll get with the program.

"Rather than looking at the icon for that information, look at the channel strip when the track is selected. An audio channel strip is immediately recognizable from a MIDI channel strip (which doesn't have plug-in insert slots nor meters). "

I wish I could just look at the track and know immediately without taking my eyes away from it. It also would be helpful if the channel strip was one color for midi and another for audio, wouldn't it? But again, I'll deal with it. To my eyes, the two strips are very similar in appearance until you notice what is missing from one.

"As for the zoom, go to the Apple menu and look at your System Preferences under "Universal Control". There are a few options for navigating when zoomed in."

I'm on my way, thanks! :)

MIDI Objects deal with MIDI data.

Audio Objects deal with Audio data.

Audio Instrument Objects are of hybrid natures because when assigned to an Arrange Track, they are sent MIDI data, then generate Audio data. All in one object.

For Logic, your XV5080 can be two things:

#1: A MIDI Instrument. You use a MIDI Track to record and playback MIDI Regions, and send the info to the XV5080

#2 An audio source, just like a microphone or guitar. You use an Audio Track to record its outputs in Logic if necessary. To Logic, it's just an Audio signal coming from your Audio Interface.

But for Logic, a software instrument is both things in one: a MIDI Instrument AND and audio source. Instead of having a MIDI Instrument cabled into your soft synth, then an Audio Object that sets its input to the soft synth's audio outs, Logic offers a single hybrid object: The Audio Instrument. It reads MIDI Regions, and produces an Audio signal. You can record, edit and playback MIDI data on its track, and you can insert Audio plug-ins and route its audio outputs on its channel strip.

As for differentiating tracks... you usually know what you're dealing with with the name, and the type of Regions on the track (MIDI or Audio). If that's not enough, you can color the object and have that color appear as a thin vertical band on the right of the tracklist. If you open your "Basic Production" template, you should see those as light brown (audio) and blue (audio instruments).

I think I see what you're saying, David--it does seem like an elegant solution, just not an obvious one to me. Thanks, and thanks for the color tip. When I'm flying around, moving between piano and drums and bass and midi tracks, I've been having a hard time changing my visual focus to the small type on the arrange screen, and a grey box with different words in it isn't as easy to differentiate from another grey box of the same approximate size. Color-coding is probably the key for me.

• 2 weeks later...