A Friend Says My Composition is in 2/4 - Can U Confirm?

TheBarber

I made this skeleton of a composition yesterday (http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/9/5/204289/02_piano-beat.mp3) and showed it a friend today, he counted to it and said it's in 2/4. I said "no, I made it in 4/4", he said "no, you made a 2/4 beat in a 4/4 environment" (or in other words on a 4/4 grid). He also said that 2/4 is close related to 4/4. That makes sense to me, divide the 4 into half and you got 2. He said you can also do 6/8 in a 4/4 environment.

Now something I always had a hard time to understand and till this day I haven't get the hang out of it is time signature. I have to say this friend is an oriental keyboardist, he also performs every weekend. So he has a much better knowledge and experience in those things, I'm not doubting what he says I'm just trying to understand how he came to that conclusion, that quick.(?) And how he was able to be 100% sure about this, like it's so obvious.(?)

He tried to explain me WHY it's 2/4 but I didn't understand a damn word he was talking about. He was all of the times referring to the drums tho, not the instrumentation.

Can someone fill me in on this?

I've looked for instructions on time signature on the internet, I have a little bit of a better picture, I understand why there is something like time signature in the first place, but I don't know how to bring out the best of time signature for my own profit in my compositions, let alone even identifying time signature on songs I don't know.

Edited by TheBarber

I havent heard the piece yet, but...

you can't be absolutely certain whether it's 2/4, 2/8, 2/16, or 2/any-such-number, as that's impossible to hear it.

You can kind of tell if the numerator should be 2 or 4 by getting a sense of the melody, but even then, I always find it hard to tell.

What you can tell by hearing it, though, is if something should be in simple (or duple) or a compound time signature.

Simple time signatures are: 2/4, 4/8, 8/8, 3/4, etc.

Compound time signatures are: 3/8, 9/4, 12/4, etc.

In the simplest way of explaining this, simple subdivides the beats into 2, while compound subdivides the beat into 3 (can kinda feel waltzy, you know - although a waltz is technically in simple time 3/4).

I'll hear your piece when you've reloaded it as David's asked and tell you my thoughts on it.

That link was full of spam, pop-up windows, surveys... could you upload your song to a more serious host and please share it again with us? Thanks!

Why do I have to bite the bullet because you don't have a pop up blocker lol jk.. IDK what you encountered but it always worked great for me and for my social circle for sharing simple mp3 files, it's quick, easy and in highest mp3 quality. You don't need to look at the banners around the player. But I uploaded it on a different server, hope to get at least some answers as compensation ;)

I hope ppl won't complain now because I make them download the file.

That link was full of spam, pop-up windows, surveys... could you upload your song to a more serious host and please share it again with us? Thanks!

Why do I have to bite the bullet because you don't have a pop up blocker lol jk..

FYI I'm using Firefox with the pop-up blocker on. Still got a pop up with an ad that filled my screen upon clicking the link.

Why do I have to bite the bullet because you don't have a pop up blocker lol jk..

FYI I'm using Firefox with the pop-up blocker on. Still got a pop up with an ad that filled my screen upon clicking the link.

lol, sorry to hear that david,

muses, thanks for the input, ... I really would like to know what the metering difference between 2/4 and 4/4 is, I'm not talking about the difference in notation, that should be obvious, the one has two beats per measure while the other has 4 beats per measure... but what is the difference musicially? Can you hear a difference at all? Maybe if we'd know that answer to that question it would clear this whole thing up.

I kinda know how a 4/4 has to sound, but how has a 2/4 to sound? I mean at the end of the day you can't really rely all on drums, so you have to count in the instrumentation as well, and since I played the piano and the bass to a 4/4 metrenome it should be 4/4...

I might be totally off tho... IDK...

I tend to 4/4 as well, as muses .... cuz I don't see any argument why it shouldn't be 4/4.

It's slightly hard to say, because a composition written in 2/4 can easily sound exactly the same if written in 2/4.... it's just math.

I say your piece is a strong contender for 4/4 mostly due to genre. Usually rock songs with that drum line are written out in 4/4. You're changing a chord per 4 beats as well, so that makes it also feel like 4.

Again, I could write that piece out in 2/4 or 4/4 and it could be performed the exact same way.

I've studied pieces written in 6/16... does it sound like 6/8 or even 2/4 subdividing each quarter into triplets? Sure.

A slow tempo and phrasing might dictate a 2/4 meter. For example,

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.

I'm half crazy, over the love of you."

is probably easier for a musician to count in 2/4. Your song would definitely be 4/4 because of the piano phrasing. If it was 2/4, and you asked me to take it from bar 5, then I'd have to think a bit before I started playing! It may even be inside tied notes, too. 4/4 would definitely be easier to read, as you could use dotted notes, etc., and to reference bars without having half of them fall in the middle of a phrase.

It's really all about what makes it easier for the conductor and player. Here's a page that describes it pretty well:

http://www.musicarrangers.com/star-theory/t19.htm

Thank you guys a lot, I'll go on monday to this friend and rub it in, I'm already excited to see his face haha jk

fader8, that's a great site you posted there, just noticed I usually played my Bb Trumpets way to high on the keyboard dammit....

Did you ever try the lessons there? And are there more of those sites that show you how to play acoustic instruments on a keyboard properly?

A slow tempo and phrasing might dictate a 2/4 meter. For example,

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.

I'm half crazy, over the love of you."

...that's in 6/8. Although you count 6/8 in 2 beats so I see your point.

Yeah, probably not the best example, but all I could think of at the moment!

• 2 weeks later...

4/4, 2/4, 1/8, whatever you want to call it, it's all the same. The only reason there are time signatures is to help with sheet music and bar divisions, make it look pretty an organized.

There is absolutely no difference. Even when you get into 3rds, 6/8, 3/4. Same thing. This gets a little hairy when you're doing 13/4 or something, which is just 2 bars of 4/4 and then a bar of 5/4, so just doing your line, and adding an extra quarter note.

I think what he meant by 4/4 environment is that your chord changes are taking place over 4 quarter notes, and your melody is over 2. A quarter not is a quarter note no matter what time sig, a dotted half note is a dotted half note. Erik Satie didn't even use time sigs.

Don't listen to people, especially musicians, including me. Those silly details don't matter, if it sounds good it sounds good.

Careful, JimmyDoorlocks... you're only kind of halfway there. As I mentioned above, yes, you can use almost any time signature and, like you said, it really only serves the purpose of how it's written, not necessarily how it's performed... on the whole

BUT

you cannot say 3/4 is the same as 6/8. They are fundamentally different in their performance.

If you give professional musicians a score in 6/8, and you had intended a feel of 3/4, you may have a difficult time trying to get them to play it as such. Even if they get it, a lot of time potentially gets wasted trying to explain what you had in mind and for them to try to sight transcribe what you had in mind, etc.

3/4 is counted ... 1 and 2 and 3 and

6/8 is counted ... 1 and-a 2 and-a

3/4 is considered duple time

6/8 is compound time

It's not about swung anything, that's a different thing.

An examples of swing is music written in 2/4 can sound like 6/8. A lot of (if not all) jazz music is written in this way.

• 2 weeks later...

Make room for the fact that there is such a thing as rhythmic dialect. You know, various peoples in different places in different times, and all that. Their choices in the way they recorded those rhythms on a piece of paper are part of that dialect.

And then there is the Samba! A lot of Sambas are written in 2/4.

ah yes, as Nublu noted... getting your hands on some hand-written Cuban music will open your eyes to "various" time signatures. 'Son' music is especially colorful in its various instrument parts - having seen some music with percussion written in a compounding time and the melody in a simple/duple time, but noted on page as "casado" (married).

I have an acquaintance who decided, for his senior recital at music school, to "arrange" Paul Desmond's "Take Five" - in 4/4 time (yes, taking out that famous 5th beat.... bad idea!). Thankfully, his instructor strongly encouraged him to do something else. There are some melodies that just simply will not work in other time signatures, and while I understand your point, JimmyDoorlocks (that anything can be written in any time sig), the mangling of bar-lines is simply not worth the effort when a melody is so obviously contained in a prior-accepted form. (for instance, a march is in 2/4 (or 6/8) 99% of the time - writing a march in 5/4 would be an exercise in teeth-gnashing.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The aspect of the music that separates 2/4 from 4/4 is the harmonic changes. It applies to all the relatives halves ( 4/4 - 2/4, 12/8 - 6/8 ). Classical scores are great examples as they are written meticulously for theoretical correctness. I am lacking my better examples but here are a few.

12/8 - Isn't she lovely (stevie wonder) -changes are usually every 4 beats (1 bar)

6/8 - I wan to live in America (berstein) - changes are every bar

ugh there are so many songs in 4/4 but to think up an example?...

polkas are in 2/4 because the changes happen every 2 beats, or bar. Hopefully I can get some more examples.

Hopefully this makes sense... I will admit I am writing this in a class

Valdalen

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't this song actually in 6/8, 3/4? Very interesting topic. I am a professional percussionist with tons of music theory training. Obviously I take rhythm seriously! Could be written in all 6/8 or 3/4, BUT it feels like it is in 6/8 alternating with 3/4.

my 2¢

Mike

Isn't this song actually in 6/8, 3/4? Very interesting topic. I am a professional percussionist with tons of music theory training. Obviously I take rhythm seriously! Could be written in all 6/8 or 3/4, BUT it feels like it is in 6/8 alternating with 3/4.

my 2¢

Mike

Yes, you're absolutely correct.

my 2¢

Mike

Yes, you're absolutely correct.

No, you are not. Follow the clap/snare thing on the 2 and 4 beat. 4 bars of 4/4 and the phrase repeats.