Bass Guitar Recomendations

Hey all,

Here's the deal. I am going to attempt to learn to play the bass guitar and am looking for recommendations on a decent beginner model. I visited my local Guitar Center but I don't really trust the sales people there. They always seem to push the most expensive things. I am trying to stay under $300. I will use the bass for my own personal recordings. Any help is greatly appreciated.

hi acidtest-

i think if you are trying to keep the cost low, Ibanez SG basses are a good idea. I have had one for 5 years-ish and it has treated me fine. You could probably get one used, as well, since they have been around for a while. I think they all come with active pickups, and the tone is actually pretty solid. The pots can be kind of noisy, and so can the pickups, but that's a 300 dollar bass for ya... Ibanez makes the necks on their basses smaller than the average (significantly smaller than a Fender, for example) and some people don't like this- I say try one out- see how it feels- if you haven't been playing long, a small neck can be kind of nice.

(Of course if you find $1,200 laying around I'd like to suggest a Music Man) :wink:

Ditto on the Ibanez, i've owned several over the past 10 years and never any complaints. By far the best bang for the buck in that price range. I've actually got a 5-string for sale if you're interested (depending on where you're located). PM if you want more info. Either way you'll be happy with that make.

i hear ya. there are many "affordable" basses that play and sound decent but don't have much character on their own, to a certain extent amps and preamps can cover that. ibanez are relatively versatile for tone and for the price especially they're a good value. having said that i'll echo BP and say that my musicman has more attitude than all my other basses combined.

Hi my Job is selling instruments, and specially Basses.

One of our top 10 is the 4 string Cort Action bass.

I tried to record with it and of course thru logic. It sounds really great. it stays in tune and have a great neck. A lot of my customers who want a little bass to record, bought it and sometimes add a preamp like the Aguilar DB924 !!

But you know, under €200 you'll find a lot of great instruments like Ibanez Dean Washburn Epiphone and Squier Std serie (for the JB addict like me)

Hey this post turn as a bass forum !! Great ;)

Thanks for all of your advice...I went with an "El Cheapo" Dean Bass and paid $119. I figured I'd save my money for Logic 8, ha, ha.

Cool, which one?

Do yourself a favour and get it set up by a Pro! It makes a huge difference.

seagate