Apple's new iPad and it's possible use for Logic

Just the ticket for pdf manuals as well.

This will sell it for me,

Yeah, I'd probably get one even if that's all it did. Been looking for a decent portable reader but have been pretty disappointed with the offerings so far. But seeing as this thing will run Touch OSC, I may end up with a couple of them!

So is it a glorified iPhone?

Obviously, there are a lot of similarities..

However, as demonstrated yesterday. The combo of the additional screen real estate and the more powerful processor are going to allow for much more robust applications and intricate touch UI's.

I think once people realize that it's not meant to replace a traditional laptop or desktop computer, they will start to realize how different and specialized a paper sized multi-touch interface can be.. My head is reeling with all the ideas for music apps... :)

I'm buying one first day it comes out.

Why....

ITS MAD CHEAP!!!

499,- for a 16GB controller, and much much more.

plus 50 apps for only 100,- = 599,- MAD I TELL YA!!

Then when version 2 arrives, sell the old one for 250,- or more

And by the most expensive version available.

Why?

Because I can thats why! :D

I want Spectrasonics to start develop IStylus, IOmni, ITrilian

When?

Now!

Why?

Because they can thats why! :D

Screenshot2010-01-27at71441PM.png.e28311fa3e151b804d6f68727b41b6bd.png

Edited by champ

No USB Port

No SD Slot

this post is only a few posts up:

A hardwired solution could also be used with the 30 pin connector. Apple already has adapters for USB/30pin and CardReader/30 pin.

Scroll down the page to see accessory pics:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

http://images.apple.com/ipad/specs/images/usb_connectors_20100127.jpg

I use Jaadu thru my iPhone already for tracking when I'm in the booth alone and no one is around the studio. It works great and isn't buggy like ProRemote. Not to mention Jaadu is much cheaper.

I've used both on my iPhone. I don't have any issues with ProRemote as a remote transport controller though I agree, in parts of the app like the pads and faders... there is some lag if your wireless network isn't running at 'full speed...'

Jaadu is kinda hard to really see on an iPhone, with or without zoom... Maybe it's my ancient eyes? Having said that, the thought of Jaadu on an iPad...or something of a similar nature, to remote control my iMac is, in itself, a pretty good reason to get an iPad imho... which is, at the moment, what my Dell Mini 9 gets used for...

Oh, and to the poster who mentioned slow responses using VNC... running Jaadu through Vine really helped a great deal with the initial sluggish responses and update speeds I found..

No-one seems to have mentioned that Apple could easily build a completely

custom controller for Logic onto the iPad.

Bring up a plugin - it's on your iPad - as opposed to the main computer screen.

For me - I'm not keen on all the current controllers (automap etc.) - I'm not an expert though.

...but I really hate messing with plugins on the screen with a mouse.

So right now I don't have a great interaction with Logic plugins at all.

But a little thought from Apple and the plugins on the iPad would be the killer app for me and easily worth the $499.

Guess I'd need to upgrade to 9.1 as well though ;o)

That's the thing.. There are many other 'main' apps that could benefit from a 'sub' app on the iPad. How about a paint mixing palette for an Art program... or a extra display/controller screen for a video program...Even simply a VNC type program for checking on servers... The possibilities are almost endless... which is why i think that the iPad will succeed in ways we probably can't even imagine at this time, much as the iPhone did so... and being honest, who would have thought of many different types of useful iPhone apps and ideas for such apps at the time it was launched.

I personally cant wait !!

1 TouchOSC with live/logic (ill take 2 thanks)

2 Basic sound design- i think it will be quite fun for this

3 Reading Books and PDF,s

One question though, how good or bad is the latency ? if i used this to trigger clips in live for example, could there be a cable implementation from the dock to usb ?

How about something like the Dexter App for the Lemur being ported over to the iPad..... Or even a version of the Lemur JazzMutant itself...

Dexter App for Logic

http://www.jazzmutant.com/images/update/dexter_P03_right.jpg

The thought of something like that is incredible... and I am sure there are programmers out there already coming up with all kinds of ideas....

The VNC idea is great.... and I also like the idea of programming button macros, like the Euphonix

http://img.skitch.com/20100128-g62khkjxns46bgem4k7nw9qduy.preview.jpg

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Great Idea !! I can't see Apple passing up on this market possibility. They should be able to do the software better than Euphonix has !

Going off the idea of the iPad as a multi-touch plug-in control surface, I wonder if the multitouch is programmable to read a "rotational" movement, with either 1 or 2 fingers? We could actually then grab a knob on the screen, and just spin it, which would be very cool.

I just want the ability to use the iPad as a secondary screen, so I could drag windows over, making them touch enabled. Perhaps make the iPad the location of a particular Spaces desktop, or something.

I just want the ability to use the iPad as a secondary screen, so I could drag windows over, making them touch enabled. Perhaps make the iPad the location of a particular Spaces desktop, or something.

me too, and I was getting the impression that it wouldn't be able to do that.

then I found this

http://www.mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-720-S

someone should get it and let me know how it works

The fastest way to get me buying an iPad would be for the logic development team to release a (paid for if necessary) app that integrates natively with logic pro, allowing you to control all logic instruments, plug-ins, transport and faders from the pad. This would be a complementary input device to use along with keyboard and mouse.

Now that would be nice.

The fastest way to get me buying an iPad would be for the logic development team to release a (paid for if necessary) app that integrates natively with logic pro, allowing you to control all logic instruments, plug-ins, transport and faders from the pad. This would be a complementary input device to use along with keyboard and mouse.

Now that would be nice.

I am sure this will be used and expanded upon.

http://www.itouchmidi.com/?q=node/32

Basically a Lemur for 1/4 price.

Hold your horses guys.

I'm beginning to wonder if the iPad is more of a gimmick, a glorified iPod touch rather than a proven studio workhorse. There has been disappointing news floating around about the iPad, the fact that it has a closed operating system is troublesome. Remember, the iPad is going to compete with a Amazon Kindle, not a Lemur Dexter.

It just seems to me that you get what you pay for. iPad may not perform nearly the same as Lemur, remember that the Dexter has an ethernet connection and is a real proven workhorse with a price tag to match it. At this time we can only dream of how cool iPad may be at this same task, but there is no software yet to judge it, so is it fair to say?

I question greatly the ability of the iPad to measure up to the Dexter, and since its going to be a couple months till its released it may be a long time till we know if its even worth its weight in studio gear. Don't be surprised if there are some disappointing aspects of the iPad.

I'm not trying to get your goat, just a reality check here.

This is a reply i got from the Lemur guys, it seems to me they like it !

Im pretty sure we will see a port over to the iPad, they stand to make good revenue and it would be a logical progression.

"At Jazzmutant we are aware of the recently announced Apple iPad product and we think it looks like an interesting device. We have been keeping up to date with Apple's progress and so this announcement was wholly anticipated. However, at this stage we can not comment on our future plans for hardware or software platforms.

You can be assured that we remain committed to being at the forefront of music control in the evolving multitouch sector. We will take the best opportunity possible with the technology available to bring the optimum solution to musicians."

Apple makes Final Cut Pro/Express

Apple makes Logic Pro/Express

Apple makes iPad

Apple will probably create the CS apps themselves?

Or at least be encouraging certain developers to get going.

There is a flaw in that argument:

Apple makes iPhone

Have you seen any apple-made CS apps for iphone?

No doubt the best people for this job are apple's logic development team, who have the added luxury of being able to tightly couple logic with any controller app. This would be the most ideal situation. However, we haven't seen it yet and I am only hopeful that we do see it in future - as I said before, even if it is a paid-for application.