Apple's new iPad and it's possible use for Logic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It is called AC-7 Pro. First app I bought. $9.

Hey, this is very cool but how does the iPad connect to midi? It is wireless, so is it controlled through bluetooth, wi-fi, also what is the range of operation? I went to the website and so little was said about the specifics, I find that annoying. If your going to sell a product you should list all the specs and connections. I must say, its an amazing looking app for just $10!

It is called AC-7 Pro. First app I bought. $9.

Hey, this is very cool but how does the iPad connect to midi? It is wireless, so is it controlled through bluetooth, wi-fi, also what is the range of operation? I went to the website and so little was said about the specifics, I find that annoying. If your going to sell a product you should list all the specs and connections. I must say, its an amazing looking app for just $10!

You need the DSMI server (Wifi):

http://dsmi.tobw.net/index.php?cat_id=1

J.

Look at the AC-7 pro app, it has full mackie and looks great. Bi directional faders and

The metering is even close!

----—----------------------

LP9.1.1 macpro8core UADquad 16gig 4/1tera MControl/Mix x2 personus/focus rite/apogee

Since learning about the ac-7 app I've been interested in the ipad and hearing if it actually works well. On top of that, I'm now researching the euphonix mix as I think having real faders would be better/faster than a touch screen. But, I'd love to hear a first hand report on the ac-7 pro app. Anyone able to try it yet?

My wife was nice enough to purchase 2 ipads for me and my son on it's release day. This was completely unexpected and neither of us had any intention of buying one. I found out pretty quick that what I normally do on my MacBook pro I Am now using my iPad for.

Monday I was at a clients house for dinner and I broke out the iPad to pass around. In about an hour we had produced the music track, recorded extra keys and tracked all of the vocals. This track will be commercially released. What does this all mean? I LOVE my iPad!!!!!

Daw - studio tracks

Music produced in groove maker

The internal mic was used with a standard pop filter.

When the album is released the artist will let me put up the studio tracks files. Video and pics coming soon.

Have you seen any apple-made CS apps for iphone?

The reason you have not, is because they knew the iPad was coming. They have for years. In fact, they developed the iPad first and the phone came later.

Apple is no dummy and are way ahead of us. They know the iPad can be anything, which means it's market is anyone.

In the end, everyone will want one, because sooner or later there will be an app that caters to their needs.

The reason you have not, is because they knew the iPad was coming. They have for years. In fact, they developed the iPad first and the phone came later.

Apple is no dummy and are way ahead of us. They know the iPad can be anything, which means it's market is anyone.

In the end, everyone will want one, because sooner or later there will be an app that caters to their needs.

I agree. Apple don't need to spend development time yet creating apps to cater for Logic or Final Cut, as in all likely hood 3rd party developers will get in on the act. There may well be a time when official versions of or controller for Pro App software need to feature on a future iPad, but for now Apple can concentrate on the hardware, OS and consumer apps and 3rd party developers have the run.

Rounik - I totally agree, but my point was slightly different and I didn't make it clear.

Someone was saying earlier in this thread that they didn't think Apple would develop an official Logic controller app based on the fact that they didn't do it with the iPhone.

My implied argument is they wouldn't waste time on such a thing knowing that they were coming out with a device that is way more suitable given it's size - either developed by them or a third party.

I could see them releasing such a thing for a couple good reasons.

The iPad is going to change music production. This thing is just made to be a hands on device - obviously. There are going to be TONS of applications devoted to music. Hardware companies like Euphonix (which was just bought by Avid) are going to lose some market share. Euphonix devices are superior because of their tactile feedback, and for that reason people with money will still buy them. But people like me will think twice. I myself was thinking of getting a Euponix MC Control, but I might settle for an iPad and the AC-7. And I get a lot of other devices out of 1 device. Not the BEST tool for the job, but certainly economical.

Apple may want to be on the cutting edge of this and use Logic as an example of what this thing can do and steal some market share - both from the controller market and the DAW market. If they make an amazing controller app for Logic, people using other DAWS are going to stand up and notice. There is something to be said about being the first one to market. The iPhone is a clear example.

That said, there are a few other iPad competitors coming out, so the playing field will be leveled at some point. Plus, I don't really know how important Logic is to them from a business point of view. I imagine it is sort of a loss-leader product. It gets people using the Mac, then their friends see how awesome it is and they get a Mac too.

Clearly their business model revolves around creating a platform for others to develop on and then make a percentage on their work. Pretty brilliant actually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...