Possible to use Flex to adjust pitch w/o changing length

vpunk

Thank you

You're welcome. I realize I described the procedure using a lot of words. It might help to also see a concise version of the same procedure. That's here. The whole process takes roughly ten clicks.

That's not correct: you can add tempo information to a file using Audio > Detect Tempo, but that won't allow the file to be transposed from the Inspector

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly. I didn't say Logic can transpose all files that contain some kind of tempo information (I know it can't). I said all files Logic can transpose contain some kind of tempo information. That is, tempo information is a requirement, but it's not the only requirement.

Also, on my machine I can't figure out how to add tempo information to a file using Audio > Detect Tempo. When I do that, the file doesn't change at all, and no tempo information is added. What I am doing wrong? Is it a bug? Or does it only work on certain kinds of files?

You're also assuming the file is not too long to be turned into an Apple Loop.

Yes, that's a good point, and I should have clarified that. Thanks for bringing that up. A looping (i.e., transposable) Apple Loop can be up to 256 beats long. At 120 bpm, that's a little over two minutes. So if my samples are over two minutes long, and I want them to be transposable, turning them into Apple Loops probably won't help me much.

it's easier to set the output of your track to a bus and record that onto a new audio track

That does sound pretty easy. And if I have multiple samples that I want to use in multiple future projects, will they be transposable in all future projects as long as I re-record them just once? Or do I have to re-record all of them over again every subsequent time that I want to use them again in a new project?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 45 - OK, so I've made it so far as to get my loops to contain tempo info in them. All 140 of them in fact. The problem is that when I go to add them to loops browser, and in any search cofiguration I try, I can only seem to see a hand full of them. Maybe 40 or so?

I DO know that they have timing because I checked them by loading them to my arrange. And they all check out. I can even change the pitch - the thing that started this whole issue!!!

I'm just not sure why I can't see the rest of them? any help would be VERY appreciated!

Thanks!

Ty.

Hey 45 - thanks for the feed back. I just tried that and still no love. This is how my loops are sorted:

Macintosh HD\Users\*****\Library\Audio\Apple Loops\User Loops\

- AIFF (With Tempo) * A directory I made, this has all 140+ loops.

- Converted to AIFF * All 140+ loops.

- Single Files *Again, all 140+ loops.

It's probably worth a mention that I did not place these in this directory. Rather they were 'built' when I moved my directory to the loops browser of logic.

As far as converting my WAV's to AIFF's goes, I had to realize that I had a mix of both in my directory. And at that point, I had to deal with each type on their own. In converting the wav's though, I had to manually indicate that each one was a loop in the ALU editor. that seemed to be a bit of a trick? So now I've got all 144, with nowhere to put them! Arghhh!!!

I'm going to try and removing the directories, reindexing them blank, and then putting them back, followed by another renindex. OI!!!

I'll keep you posted.

ty.

It's done. finished.

Here's what I've been missing: search tags. Specifically under Genre and instrument. I can't believe I missed that - ah c'est la vie.

I did a batch on them and set them all to "Other Instrument", and "Not Specified" for genre. Now they all show up. I guess I learned a TON more about apple loops than I ever thought I would.

thanks for everyone's help on this - particulary 45!!!

Ty.

From what I've learned, there are two ways that Logic can transpose audio. The region that you are using has to have tempo info in it. So either an apple loop, or any audio region that you've recorded.

*** See the rest of my post.

• 3 years later...

I cannot make this work right. I copied a half a bar from a guitar track and pasted that in later in the track. I want to transpose that little snippet that I pasted in. When I move the transpose parameter as David suggested, the whole track gets transposed and when I undo it is still messed up.

I tried to use the factory time and pitch but it selected that previous area where I copied from. I don't want to transpose the original audio only the part I pasted in later. I thought if I copied the audio and created a new region it would be a new separate audio file that I could manipulate. In fact, the time and pitch doesn't seem to work. I chose 200 for cents and harmonic, but it didn't change the pitch in the track. When I pre listen it is okay, and also in the Sample Editor, but when I choose Perform and paste, it doesn't change it in the track.