Logic Pro 9.1.2 is out!

There's no doubt that Logic does strange things memory allocation-wise, but here's a quote from danny who seems to be the main contributor to that thread:

"[Omnisphere is] ONE of the culprits, there are many. It doesn't mean you HAVE to use Omnisphere for this to happen."

Hi folks,

the new OSC feature is really cool! Finally a reason for every Logic user to buy an iPad :D

I made a quick video how it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzjnVTqjblY

My iPhone receives the channelstrip information but when touching buttons/faders in touchOSC nothing happens... did it work instantly for you or did you have to do some special tricks? Firewall exclusion has been made...

I have a 2009 single quad core. Thanks for the info, I will test it tomorow.

I believe that there's a loss of performance but i heard that HT whas not doing well with Logic and other high-end softwares anyway. Do you think it's a loss in power for a gain in stability?':?'

HT worked fantastic with Logic in the previous version. I've been running an i7 machine for almost a year and it has been extremely stable and performance was very close to the 8 core mac pro I use in my other setup.

It just works!

Well its not doing anything here. When I change strips, the iphone follows and when I select zones in controller assignment the buttons in touchosc light up nicely...

When I tab a button or move a fader the green indicator in the app lights up but Logic doesn't do jack.

I've tested touchosc with standalone Reaktor and it works perfectly.

Frank

Logic no longer inadvertently reloads the content for third-party sampler plug-ins such as Native Instrument’s Kontakt after tracks are deleted, or after some other edits are performed.

Can anybody let me know if it no longer reloads content for Kontakt when doing a "Save As"?

If so, I may just jump in and update even though I really should wait until I'm done with my current project.

It would probably save me a ton of time even if I did run into bumps with the update; I Save As like a mad man.

A possible solution for the HT problem:

type in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.logic.pro MD_AllowVirtualCoresQuad -bool yes

for Logic Pro or for Logic Express:

defaults write com.apple.logic.express MD_AllowVirtualCoresQuad -bool yes

To turn it off again simply replace the 'yes' by a 'no'

I've been reading this thread and the one on Gearslutz and thought i would share my findings this evening.

I downloaded the update stupidly without reading the feedback first.

I use an imac 27" i7 with 8gb ram.

I've been using logic 9.1.1 in 64 bit mode as out of the "evan benchmark test" i got the best results ( around 62 tracks ). Was not much between the 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode at all apart from the annoying "memory running low" flash up boxes.

I never got those in 64 bit mode and that's why i chose it.

After downloading 9.1.2 i thought I'd do a benchmark test again on both modes using the code to turn hyper threading on and off.

Here are the results running at 256 buffer

32 bit mode

Turning HT off (showing 4 cores) . 34 tracks

Turning HT on (showing Virtual 8 ) 62 tracks

64 bit

Turning HT off (showing 4 cores . 34 tracks

Turning HT on (showing Virtual 8 ) 62 tracks

I've yet to have the "memory low" signs come up in 32 bit mode so may well go back to 32 bit so i can see all my 3rd party plugins on screen as opposed to be only allowed to see one at a time.

Obviously in the future I'll up to 64 bit when i have the software that needs it.

If i get the memory low signs again though I'll be straight back to 64.

This proves to me that on my Imac hyper threading makes a huge difference to how logic works.

Use that code above and to turn hyperthreading on, works a treat.

Hopefully with the update I've not got the best of both worlds.

Fingers crossed

EDIT .....Just tried to overload in 32 bit mode and memory low comes up again and saves and quits logic like it did before.

As i mentioned above I don't get that in 64 bit mode so will be right back where i started thanks to the code.

Hopefully the update will help in other areas.

Conclusion seems to be from my finding is don't worry if you've updated, use the code and all will go back to normal and hopefully the rest of the update will improve everything else

Edited by kaufman

I will be VERY interested to see some more posts of people who have done this (the above stated terminal fix) and what their results are. As you can see in my sig I have one of the affected machines. I have reverted to 9.1.1 but would really love to have a viable solution.

Peace!

I just tested out the fix and it seems to run as well as 9.1.1 on a quad.

In general, I'd still recommend backing apps up before upgrading them, but it looks like it's probably safe to give 9.1.2 a shot.

I have to admit though, I still don't see why they can't enable HT on any other machine, just on quads. That's a lot of potential CPU power just hanging out doing nothing.

So glad they fixed that bug where Kontakt randomly re-loads it's instruments (especially when opening large sessions, or deleting unused tracks in the arrange)

And the detailed Release Notes is very much appreciated, thank you for that Apple. Don't stop that pratice please.

Indeed some great fixes - particular the one about the Piano Roll correctly displaying selected mid regions.

That had been driving me nuts for a very long time, and I thought it was me just being 'thick' about how the Windows functionality worked.

Speaking of which since L7, the Windows functionally of Logic has never been the same and after several years now of L8 and L9 I still really miss the simple way in which you could build up a series of interlinked, nicely sized, display windows and LOCK them in a floating position.

This is still IMHO the very best possible way to combine Midi and Score Editing: you have your main Arrange open with a couple of small windows, Score Editor and Piano Roll, sized very long and flat and thin, linked up so you can see the notes at the Playhead at all times. ( This would also be useful in using new tools like Flex View when using it to correct the timing of notes in audio, and line up midi notes when extracting parts and making scores from audio).

Apart from the disastrous loss of lockable Floating Windows, since L8 onwards and the useless new method of splitting the screen right across the bottom where you are stuck with that layout...

... the capacity in L7 and earlier to very accurately size and shape any Locked Floating Window to any part of the Screen was a huge plus in workflow which has been lost.

I rest my case :)

MS

PS that said it is absolutely to be celebrated that Apple are releasing such detailed updates which suggests they are taking Logic Pro's long term future seriously

Does anyone know if this update fixes the memory leak problem in Logic Pro? (available memory slowly dropping until there's not enough to work, and you have to close and reopen the project. I've discussed this problem on this fourm and several other people have experienced it as well. Last I heard everyone was hoping that it would be addressed in the next update).

It just works!

Well its not doing anything here. When I change strips, the iphone follows and when I select zones in controller assignment the buttons in touchosc light up nicely...

When I tab a button or move a fader the green indicator in the app lights up but Logic doesn't do jack.

I've tested touchosc with standalone Reaktor and it works perfectly.

Frank

Fixed by reinstalling TouchOSC on the iPhone.

Frank

The HT issue is a big shame from what I've been reading.

I dont want to Update if theres a major performance issue.

Is there Hyperthreading in 1Gen Mac Pros 1.1 - 2.66 Quad Woodcrests?

Been searching - Think that there isnt, but would appreciate if someone might confirm.

Concerned that performance might suffer.

Cheers,

J

The HT issue is a big shame from what I've been reading.

I dont want to Update if theres a major performance issue.

Is there Hyperthreading in 1Gen Mac Pros 1.1 - 2.66 Quad Woodcrests?

Been searching - Think that there isnt, but would appreciate if someone might confirm.

Concerned that performance might suffer.

Cheers,

J

Cool - See that theres a fix.

Would still love to hear from someone else with a 2.66 quad Pro 1.1 & find out how they are getting on.

I still can't import Rex files into Logic 9.1.2 when I'm in 64bit mode! Does anyone has the same problem or am I doing something wrong?? No problem when I'm running 32Bit though! Help me, please

I can't offer any help, but I am having the same problem here. I've tried both dragging to the arrange and importing to apple loops from the browser. Neither works in 64bit mode. Both work in 32bit mode.

When I try and convert to Apple Loops from the browser (in 64bit mode), I get the following:

I have installed REX Shared Library v1.6, which looks like the latest version.

996839517_Screenshot2010-10-18at2_41_45PM.png.9b8e90d7f79d45e72c4e57a73385f4cd.png