Logic Pro 9.1.2 is out!

The EXS24 now automatically locates samples stored in a folder inside the Project Folder that have any of the following names: “Samples,” “Sampler Files,” “Sampler Instruments,” or “Audio Files.”

This is a pretty welcome addition....nice one.

Can someone tell me what the Hyper Threading issue is a bout? I have a QUAD Core 2.66 running 32bit mode.

The BIP window now says "Include audio tail in file" instead of effects tail, but it still doesn't let you include that "audio tail" if you bypass the effects.

What's the point? Or it said audio tail before? Now I don't know.

Other than that, all working fine here.

Edit: I just checked my thread about this and it did say audio tails before. So ignore. I see things.

that touchOSC thing is awesome!!!!

i got touchOSC ages ago cos i thought it would be fun but i'm just too lazy to set it up properly. the fact it now works straight up with logic is amazing. and the preset is great. as the guy in the video above mentioned its gonna be really useful for when i'm tracking something away from my keyboard just with the basic transport controls and a bit of level control.

Do you think there is any possibility of them adding this to mainstage soon? :D without me having to use osculator in-between?

Anyone figured out how you access the main-out stereo channel in the touchOSC Logic template? If I select "Channel Strip" at the top of the page and then use the "" controls I can move through all channels, including auxes, but it doesn't ever select the main-out. If I click on the channel in the mixer using my mouse it doesn't show up on the iPad either.

Anyone figured out how you access the main-out stereo channel in the touchOSC Logic template? If I select "Channel Strip" at the top of the page and then use the "" controls I can move through all channels, including auxes, but it doesn't ever select the main-out. If I click on the channel in the mixer using my mouse it doesn't show up on the iPad either.

It will show up if you have it as a track in the arrange window. The TouchOSC defaults to the 'Arrange' control surface setting and doesn't appear to be switchable as it is with the MCU for example.

I was playing with the TouchOSC Logic template and added a fader to try and control CC data with it. Unfortunately, it looks like it wont work unless I use OSCulator. But OSCulator nullifies some of the convenience and feedback simplicity of just using TouchOSC. (unless I don't understand the feedback settings, it appears you have to add an instrument for every channel strip in the environment and this instrument sends out the data back (eventually) to TouchOSC.) I would just love to add two faders (CC1 and CC11) to the great logic template with TouchOSC and start using it!

With the commands listed (for TouchOSC) in Logic's controller assignment window, I see things like "volume", "pan", "track+", etc. I'm assuming this list is a list of Logic commands for controllers that are dedicated to "Logic Mode". Where can I find the complete list of available commands? I'm hoping I could find something that I could manipulate in the environment to then translate to CC data.

Have you tried re-enabling virtual cores? 9.1.2 sets virtual cores to off as a default.

Open terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.logic.pro MD_AllowVirtualCores -bool yes

to revert to no virtual cores:

defaults write com.apple.logic.pro MD_AllowVirtualCores -bool no

This is also reported to work in 9.1.1.

for express users, use:

defaults write com.apple.logic.express MD_AllowVirtualCores -bool yes

And finally, quad users have a separate preference that can be set, though the first terminal command will make this next redundant:

defaults write com.apple.logic.pro MD_AllowVirtualCoresQuad -bool yes

cheers,

dorian

It's all wrong here...

No it's not, it's expected behaviour.

Logic 9.1.1: 61 tracks in my test

Logoc 9.1.2: 31 tracks in my test before it overloads

As written in the million or so other threads on this since 9.1.2 was released: That's because hyperthreading has been turned off by default so Logic isn't using your virtual cores - you'll need to turn it back on to get the same performance as before.

Notice how the amount of cores have been halved on the CPU meter.

Logic only displays real cores - you have four, so you see four. The old behaviour (showing virtual cores) was a bug.

Bollocks.

Naturally it's not the expected behaviour.

People won't expect to get a 50% decrease in performance by default after upgrading.

I don't care much about what the CPU meter graphics show, though I realize why they've changed. They could show 4 cores, 8 cores or a cow taking a walk on the moon for all I care.

What I care about is a real life 50% decrease in performance - which certainly is an huge mistake.

Of course I can fiddle with the Terminal (and thanks to those who posted the trick) - but seriously, aren't we using Macs because we expect things to work out of the box without having to fiddle with obscure command lines?

Bollocks.

Naturally it's not the expected behaviour.

People won't expect to get a 50% decrease in performance by default after upgrading.

MAybe Apple had made a decision about users having to use the hack to get the increased track/plugin count, since enabling HyperThreading may affect stability (overload situations etc) in a negative direction. Maybe the enabling of HT was the reason some users have had the overload and performance issues they have had, and that the most important way to get rid of these is to disable HT.

The other alternative would have been to add a setting where users could choose between better performance/stability and higher track/plugin counts, but maybe that's not Apple-like enough for Apple to implement in a pro app?

I'd argue that a 50% performance decrease is a lot more likely to give you overload errors than enabling hyperthreading.

But you're right. I don't know exactly what Apple's thinking is here. Maybe it does increase stability in smaller projects.

If that's the reasoning then at least there should be an easier way of toggling this option. It's a rather drastic decision to make, especially without clearly informing the users upfront.

Can I ask a dumb question? I've been reading this thread, and ever since I updated I notice weird behavior (crashes in Disk Too Slow Or System Overload). Judging by the exchange between Lagerfeldt and the rest I reckon it is the same thing. Is this the deactivation of hyperthreading? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I upgraded to Snow Leopard and I got a small performance increase.

Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 8 GB RAM. 32-bit.

EvanLogicMultiCoreBenchmark test

Logic 9.1.1 ( 10.5.8 ): 61 tracks

Logic 9.1.2 ( 10.5.8 ): 31 tracks

Logic 9.1.2 ( 10.6.4 ): 33 tracks

I'll be running without hyperthreading and see how it goes.

Of course I can fiddle with the Terminal (and thanks to those who posted the trick) - but seriously, aren't we using Macs because we expect things to work out of the box without having to fiddle with obscure command lines?

This one ^

I myself probably wont upgrade logic on my mac pro system, until apple come out with a fix, that doesnt include using terminal etc

Has ANYONE heard anything official about this HT on/off matter from Apple?

I love my Macs and I especially love Logic and I'm not going to switch platforms or software, but this does make you wonder: WTF is going on?

Updates and upgrades should be just that, not slowing you or the machine down, hinder your previous workflow. I've had two huge setbacks, namely symlinks not working anymore with my Logic user folder (can't use Dropbox to automatically keep all my CSTs etc between my computers synced) and now the I/O Labels not anymore being saved as a separate file (can't make different setups for different projects and situations). I know my issues might be nothing to other users, and the same way some of other users' issues are a non-issues for me, but they ARE big issues in general, when a major software and hardware company lets those kind of things slip in a public non-beta software.

GRRRRH!

BOLLOCKS, like Mr. Lagerfeldt said earlier. I find it unbelievable

Has ANYONE heard anything official about this HT on/off matter from Apple?

That would be interesting for me, too.

Only the "unofficial" HT-Fix from the Apple forum, the tread starter told it was from Apple Care, but not more.

No official statement from Apple so far. :oops:

Yeah, except it was

, I was working with my producer JS16 then. Sounds SO 2000... Gotta Love it! ;)

Good seeing you here as well. I've called myself a producer for quite many years now (after originally JS16 so kindly took me under his wing, showed me the ropes and more than helped me get started), but I still read the forums, this one particularly, and I learn something every day, and not least from your well-written tutorials!

[/end hijack]

I made the test with 9.1.1 yesterday.

iMac 27" 2.93 GHz, 64 Bit, 8GB RAM, 9.1.1

I was able to run 77 tracks.

Have to sleep a night over it, if I want to upgrade to 9.1.2.

-----

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 (Model 2010) with 4 GB RAM

9.1.1 32Bit and 9.1.2 32Bit

22 Tracks

9.1.1 64Bit and 9.1.2 64Bit

24 Tracks

No differences here. Reason is that i5 has no Hyper-Threading.

So no problems to run 9.1.2 on my MacBook Pro

I'm looking to get a new iMac i7 to operate Logic 9. Gonna swoop in here to see if I've got everything straight from reading this thread. If I'm misunderstood, please by all means correct me!

For some, updating Logic 9 has caused a performance decrease.

When installed, Logic is set to run with HT disabled (its interest being to improve work flow and speed by doing so).

When HT is enabled, Logic seems to encounter more overload errors and crashes than with it disabled. So, Logic runs better withOUT HT?

If this is all correct, would it be right to assume that having Snow Leopard, the updated version of Logic 9, and HT disabled would allow for maximum speed / results?

Thanks for the input - just diving into the world of Logic.