Mix sounds drastically different in iTunes?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
I've been up and down this thing. iTunes chews the mixes. Without question. Never mind soundcheck or normalize etc.. I've been through all the settings. iTunes chews the mixes. There is nothing more to say. Until Apple gets it together - stay the heck away from it. I don't understand what it is, but I know my ears and if I play an mp3@128, 320 or whatever - or an aif at 16 or 24 bit - makes no difference. All through the finder or through VLC player it sounds true. Through iTunes it sounds like crap. Forget about iTines. It is crap.

These days, that's like saying (back then ...), "forget about the jukebox ... songs sound like crap on a jukebox!" Uh huh, but that's where a helluva lot of music is sold.

"Ear buds," likewise, "ain't no better." But that's what's stuck in people's ears as they skate along with iPods (or worse) strapped to their arms. Once they bought the tune, that's where they decided to play it.

Anyhow ... a four or five-year old thread? Really?? :P

No you're wrong Mike. If I render a song to 128 mp3 and play it on Soundcloud, listening with earbuds, it sounds reasonable, albeit compressed. If I render a 24 bit aif file and play it in iTunes, it sounds like crap. You can blab on about it all day long - fact is iTunes is crap. Period. End of five year old conversation.