Editing Apple Loops

David Nahmani

Sometimes you want to edit an Apple Loop in the Sample Editor, to reverse it, delete one beat, or whatever reason. The problem is that when you try doing that, you usually get an alert stating that you cannot edit the file.

Here is an easy workaround:

1. If you do not want to destructively edit the original loop, first choose Audio > Convert Regions to new Audio Files from the local Arrange window menu, and give the new copy a name and location on your drive.

2. Select your Apple Loop in the Arrange window and choose Audio > Open in Apple Loop Utility from the local Arrange window menu.

3. Under File Type, click on Non-looping. This will convert the file to a regular Audio File. Press Command-S to save. Press the big '-' button to clear out the drawer of your loop (important!).

4. Back to Logic, edit the loop to your heart's content. It is now a regular Audio File and will accept anything you throw at it!

5. Repeat steps #2 and #3, except this time click first on Non-looping, then on Looping. Press Command-S to save.

6. Back in Logic, enjoy your newly edited Apple Loop! Have fun.

Thanks David,

I thought that might be the case, but it doesn't make this any less brilliant.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if there were a third mode? I am not sure what that would be called, but maybe it could be exclusive to Logic & STPRo. (the latter of which I have lost faith in its future anyway).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the tip, David.

I've created my own Apple Loop with the ALU feature. It plays perfectly in the Arrange Screen, but how do I add the loop to my Apple Loops Library?

I am not David but I will take the liberty of answering this.

1. Select the region on the Arrange page.

2. Under the local Region menu choose "Add to Apple Loops Library."

I am not David but I will take the liberty of answering this.

What???

And here I was thinking that all of you "Certifiable" types were the same person! Man ... this is bullshit! I feel so ... so ... dirty!

:P

You are from Louisiana? Clearly you have spent too much time under water :)

Randy Newman: "Louisiana, Louisiana, they're trying to wash us away, they're trying to wash us away."

• 3 months later...
I just found that if you want to simply edit destructively, all you have to do is open in a external editor, and there are no additional steps.

there are free ones on the web, audacity, sound sculpt, couple others.

What about through SoundTrack Pro 2?

• 3 weeks later...

:?

I really wish I could understand exactly why they would do this, and other things like it. If they would just give a reason in some release notes, say because the routine that converts files is unreliable with Apple Loops, or because it reacts badly with the pitch-shifting or time-stretching algorithms, or something, I would find it a lot easier to accept.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How about giving this a try:

1 : Create an Audio track with the apple loop you wish to edit.

2 : Set the output to a free Bus (for the sake of example, let's say Bus 1).

3 : Create a new Audio track, record enabled and input monitoring enabled, with the input set to the Bus you set in the previous step (in our example, Bus 1).

4 : Hit the record button – and there you have it : an editable audio file you can muck about with to your heart's content.

Feel free to point out any shortcomings in this method as I am a total Logic Pro newb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...