The Story Behind Your Artist Name

• 4 weeks later...

i have 2 the first one was "ultrapoison" and i picked it from a song i love called Injected With A Poison by Praga Khan and rummaging through KMFDM song names. i settled on ultra.

MW3 are my birth initials. actually it would be MFW3 but another nod to KMFDM (their WWIII album).

My next incarnation will probably be San Alvarez.

• 4 weeks later...
I chose the name 'A Man Behind The Counter' simply because I work at a family owned retail store, and when there was no one to play music with, I just sat behind the counter writing songs. As for Lippeth, a group name that I give to any group project that I'm involved in, comes from me being dyslexic when reading the word 'flipper'. So.......it just kind of stuck.

• 3 weeks later...
It was my AIM screen name that I made when I was 14.

Oh ya the 9k is a reference to Hal9000...ya I was a nerd.

It's funny. When registering my computer for sharing, I named it Hal9000. My home folder is also called Hal9000. And when I turn on the voice commands. I say, "Hal, open itunes, please," And he does. I just try not to do anything behind his back or he gets grumpy.

A long, long time ago....

I had a console that had some very flaky fader automation problems on, you guessed it, channel 8. After many, many back and forth calls and faxes with their tech support, they started calling me "fader8". It just kind of stuck in my head!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay.

My first name is SCOTT. Second given name REINIER.

At 40 years old I could no longer continue to afford the therapy necessary to convince me that I am NOT an artist. So I surrendered to that fact. And i realized that "Scott" is not (to me, no offense to other great artists called Scott) the best of "artist" names. But "Reinier" on the other hand rocked! I mean, really - it is spelled backwards and forwards the same!!!! So I formally switched over to Reinier deSmit (which is also my dad's name - which I think is kinda cool).

After the Tom Cruise/Dustin Hoffman movie "RainMan" came out I was doomed to ReinMan.

Definitely... definitely ReinMan.

http://nowallsmusic.com/logic-help/ReinMan-RainMan.jpg

When I was studying my first year in Turku Polytechnic we had a party at my classmate's apartment. We were eating and drinking and playing records and I guess I was feeling really, umm, "happy" (= I guess I can say 'wasted' among adults...) as I played one favourite track of mine of that time, 'Rudeboys' by Leila K, several times in a row. In short, it's because of that my friends started kind of mockingly calling me 'Rudeboy'. I started using that as a nickname online and as my artist name when I started making music. Later on it got shortened to 'da Rude' (I didn't wanna be a 'boy' ;)) which was then put together by the graphic artist when the single cover for my first single 'Sandstorm' was made; it looked visually better like that so... 'Darude'.

• 5 weeks later...

Element a440 is what I titled my band.

All music is referenced to the pitch of "A" or 440Hz, and Music is the one "element" in my life that helps me maintain and deal with all of the other elements that life can throw at you on a day to day basis. We all resonate at a frequency anyways and music to me, is an extension of that.. it can medicate, or amplify any emotion. It is like oxygen to me... without it I would die.

facebook.com/elementa440.music