Channel Strip effect saving

deebeefly

Hi Guys...

I know how to save channel strips to include everything inc the instrument channel. However I want to only save the effects chain so I can place it on various instrument channels and not have the instrument change - but only the effect routing.

Does anyone know how to do this because I seem to be only able to change the strip and instrument. This only applies to instrument channels

Thanks

D

1) In the Arrange area, select your instrument track.

2) In the Arrange area, create a new audio track.

3) In the Mixer, Command-Option-drag all your effect plug-ins, one by one to the audio channel strip.

4) On the Audio channel strip, save the audio Channel Strip Setting (CSS).

In the future, when you need to insert those same effects on any software instrument channel strip, option-click the CSS button (at the top of the software instrument Channel strip) and choose Track > your CSS.

• 3 years later...
Wow! Guess u learn something new everyday when it comes to Logic. Just wish some of these features were more obvious. Had absolutely NO idea that I could save effect chains (via "save channel strip settings") on a audio track and then use them on software instrument tracks. Never occurred to me to try that. I assumed it would change my entire instrument track into a audio track.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
Yes, it is. It’s available in the Library window. Make your Track Stack first how you want. Click the top of the track stack. Press “L” for open library or w/e your hotkey is. On the bottom bar of the library is some options. You can save the track stack and it’ll be under “User”.

• 7 months later...
Is it possible to access my User Patches through the settings button in the channel strip? Or do I have to go through the library

No, you have to go through the library for Patches. Clicking the settings button of the channel strip opens a pop-up menu where you choose Channel Strip Settings, which are deprecated in favor of patches.

• 11 months later...
Yes, it is. It’s available in the Library window. Make your Track Stack first how you want. Click the top of the track stack. Press “L” for open library or w/e your hotkey is. On the bottom bar of the library is some options. You can save the track stack and it’ll be under “User”.

i have 2 busses within a summing stack. i'm trying to save the summing stack so it loads with the two busses. whenever i use this method, the summing stack loads, but the busses that were saved within do not. Is this possible to achieve?

I'm aware that i can load it from the "all files" selection in the top right (media?) section, but was specifically looking for a speedier way to do this. I found using the library method ideal, but it doesn't seem like it's possible with track stacks since they don't load correctly.

i have 2 busses within a summing stack. i'm trying to save the summing stack so it loads with the two busses. whenever i use this method, the summing stack loads, but the busses that were saved within do not. Is this possible to achieve?

I'm aware that i can load it from the "all files" selection in the top right (media?) section, but was specifically looking for a speedier way to do this. I found using the library method ideal, but it doesn't seem like it's possible with track stacks since they don't load correctly.

Interesting; I’m able to save Track Stacks with bus routing; kinda like how tracks have busses pre-loaded in the presets. Are you talking about the top of the stack? Like the Aux has an output to a bus? Or the individual tracks underneath?

Yes, just make sure the Aux receiving the busses are inside the summing stack before you save the patch.

Yes, just make sure the Aux receiving the busses are inside the summing stack before you save the patch.

This is the setup. i have my channels routed to the summing stack which is also all in my VCA folder. i can only save the aux itself, but not multiple channels. Ideally, i'd like to have the individual channels routed to the summing stack and inside the VCAfolder saved so i can just load. This method doesn't currently work leading me to believe that you can save a channel or an aux, but not a vca folder or even a summing stack.

2100049818_ScreenShot2021-02-04at9_50_25PM.png.2c6cc7e618a713486025a6e8d912d6a2.png

Interesting; I’m able to save Track Stacks with bus routing; kinda like how tracks have busses pre-loaded in the presets. Are you talking about the top of the stack? Like the Aux has an output to a bus? Or the individual tracks underneath?

the above picture is the setup

the above picture is the setup

Oh I see gotcha. Yeah you can’t save VCA folder stacks because it’s a “folder” stack, though this wouldn’t be hard to do in a new session. Just load your saved summing stack, and then put it in a VCA (if you even need a VCA). If it really becomes a problem, you can go into Logic’s settings and have it copy all files into project, then just create a template. That’s the only workaround I can think of at the moment.

(if you even need a VCA)

Good point. In the pictured setup, the VCA serves no purpose.

Yeah I agree... I'm like, wait, it's already in a summing stack. I guess if you wanted to automate a VCA curve you could, but then again, you could just either automate a Gain plugin on the stack (so that the volume fader is still moveable) or just opt for automating the volume curve.

(if you even need a VCA)

amateur mistake?

I thought that i was using the VCA fader to not mess with the processing on my sub mix bus/summing stack when i use THAT fader?

i feel like i don't fundamentally understand this even after reading up and down about it.

• 2 weeks later...

amateur mistake?

I thought that i was using the VCA fader to not mess with the processing on my sub mix bus/summing stack when i use THAT fader?

i feel like i don't fundamentally understand this even after reading up and down about it.

I think it serves YOUR purpose, which is the most important, albeit, in this particular case, I think maybe it just seems kinda funny that you have that, when typically, in gain staging, you could just adjust your Summing Track (Aux Track) faders to a like-able position. Maybe that's why he said that? Idk???