What scale / mode is this?

Looks unfamiliar. Note that the intervals are h-w-h-w-h-w-h-w, regular. So it has three tonalities/symmetries, not unlike a diminished(7) chord - and as luck will have it, two of the three dim chords are in this scale, the third is completely outside it. I'ld opt for it being called the diminished scale. Rare, like the dim chord... There are only three of 'm....

• 2 weeks later...
The symmetry on a dim scale is 4 fold, so it really doesn't have just one key, it has four! But there's no Eb in this one, so that's not one of the four here: G, A#, C# or E.

To make things more confusing you could also force the use of an A, C, D# or F# root note (respectively) to make a 7th chord with a nice twist.

looks like it's in the key of Eb...does anyone know?

The symmetry on a dim scale is 4 fold, so it really doesn't have just one key, it has four! But there's no Eb in this one, so that's not one of the four here: G, A#, C# or E.

So it's closer to Bb or Db?

Ok OP so what is it close too. I'm still learning music theory so try not to beat around the bush please. FOR MODES yeah it depends on where you start but ovarall it has to be in some kind of key or close to a key. So what key is this in did you figure it out?

but ovarall it has to be in some kind of key or close to a key

No. It doesn't.

In this case, G diminished is simply G diminished. There is no key of G diminished, it's just G diminished.

If you have a series of notes that starts on G, goes off using notes of that scale, but repeatedly or consistently returns to G, then the key center would (likely) be G, and the key could be considered G minor but ONLY if there's emphasis placed on the minor third from G to Bb (A#). But if the notes and the accompaniment strongly suggest G diminished, then the passage can analyzed as G diminished. That's it, just "G diminished".

But if you were to repeatedly play this pattern: G, G#, A#, G# up and down, over and over, you're suggesting something built from the Locrian mode. Still, it all depends on what else is going on musically. Might not be Locrian at all.

Now, play this pattern repeatedly: G#, G, A#, G. That could suggest G# (Ab) major, but in what context? What's the chord or other accompaniment underneath it? That melody could be part of something that resolves to C major, C minor, or something else entirely.

Yes, context is everything. :)

Actually, you could indeed play G diminished over G minor. Anything's legal, as long as it sounds good to you, the composer. Try this:

Play a sustained G minor chord in the left hand (G2, Bb2, D3). On top, improvise a melody using just the first 5 notes of this G diminished scale. You'll find that you can get some wonderful tensions when you play the G# (it wants to resolve to the G or the Bb). The B creates a major/minor thing that wants to resolve to the Bb. Finally, the C# wants to resolve to the D.

Oh, and I said "this G diminished scale" because there are two!

G Ab Bb B C# D E F

...and...

G A Bb C Db Eb E F#

• 1 month later...
Dim chords are awesome!

Another cool thing I've just discovered about diminished chords:

Take any note in a diminished chord, move it up a semi-tone and make a minor or major chord out of this new note using the note as the tonic.

Instant resolution!

Works with ANY note. Guaranteed! (or your money back)

Not quite what I meant. That's simply tranposing a dim chord up.

What I'm saying is if you just take one note from a dim chord, transpose it up a semitone, and then use it as the basis of a new chord (works with both major or minor).....then the result is the resolution of the original dim chord.

For example: Imagine the following dim chord: C, D#, F#, A.

You can take the C transpose it up to C# and have either C# major or C# minor.

OR....

You could take the D# and resolve to an E Minor / Major.

F# to a G...

etc

What I'm saying is if you just take one note from a dim chord, transpose it up a semitone, and then use it as the basis of a new chord (works with both major or minor).....then the result is the resolution of the original dim chord.

OR....

F# to a G...

etc

I know it is not what you meant, it was not meant to illustrate your discovery, just another example of the use of these fourdimensional harmonic wormholes.

Blackbird learns to see, learns to fly.

Never solving dim song:

And guys... all these harmonic possibilities are inherent to the fourfold symmetry of the dim chord.

F#dim-D7-G

F#dim-B7-E

F#dim-G#7-C#

F#dim-F7-Bb

OR....

F# to a G...

etc

Not sure what you mean here..... moving any one note in a diminished chord up a semitone just changes it into a half diminished chord (AKA "minor seventh flat 5" in jazz terms), not strictly a major or minor chord.

Not sure what you mean here..... moving any one note in a diminished chord up a semitone just changes it into a half diminished chord (AKA "minor seventh flat 5" in jazz terms), not strictly a major or minor chord.

I'm talking about the building of a new chord using the transposed note as as reference point. AKA: Discard the original diminished chord, and build a new major or minor chord from scratch.

@ Camillo: No, it doesn't resolve, since it's only C and Cdim - just to be clear: I mean the chord Ski names as C to the power 0 - o wait, that's an open bullit (alt-shift-8), C°, though to me this means centigrade...

Just look at the (recurring) melody of the verse:

There's - a - fog - up - on L - A

c - d# - f# - d# - f# - c - e

As you can see the first five notes is 75 % of the complete Centigrade chord. Though I guess the "Sheldon Coopers" of this world could claim it to be a Cmb5 chord...?

C D# F# A ( chord)

=================

C D# G A = m6

C E F# A over D = D9

C E F# A over G# = G#7 +5,b9 or Ab7 +5,b9

Good point.... one man's half diminished is another man's minor sixth chord. :) So these chords are about 50% as ambiguous as the full diminished chord and that's even before adding new bass notes!

Erik -- the centigrade chord -- LOL! Love it!

The º indicates diminished, and a circle with a slash through it indicates half-diminished.

If I had written it as C€7 it would have been an indication of the suggested retail price for my analysis.

:mrgreen:

Erik -- the centigrade chord -- LOL! Love it!

The º indicates diminished, and a circle with a slash through it indicates half-diminished.

If I had written it as C€7 it would have been an indication of the suggested retail price for my analysis.

:mrgreen:

Quick, somebody compose a song where every instrument is detuned to be perfectly equidistant in cents between any two adjacent notes.