Choppy MIDI and response time in Logic

songboy

Hi, I am having issues with a particular project that just started crapping out all of a sudden. I wrote another post dealing with mainly the midi aspect because I think that might be the culprit, but I really am not sure. Essentially, I play my midi keyboard or the caps lock keyboard and I get weird, random playback and almost always stuck notes. I have also noticed that switching screensets, scrolling through drop down menus and whatever, is very choppy and laggy. I also notice strange audio artifacts. It is only this project, which is based off a template that I use with all my projects and they remain fine. I have gone through and cleared out any redundant midi objects/automation/hyperdrawing that I could fine and still no effect. I even notice that when the computer is doing nothing, no audio, no midi no anything, Logic's CPU will get up into the 75 to 80 percent range. Again, only this plugin. I have a couple kontakt instances open but they are all frozen so they shouldn't cause this right? God Logic, I feel you are always kicking my workflow in the flipping balls. Please Help!

I believe I solved the problem. It is still strange that it only happened in One project, but, I noticed that my entire system was acting strange, laggy and slow doing minimal tasks. So, I searched around and it turns out many people are experiencing this. What I found as a solution was to delete any odd "Preference Panes" under System preferences, Update Flash, repair permissions and restart. After that, all problems have gone away. I will update if the issue comes back. Thanks

S

Well unfortunately the problem has come back. Now it exists in other projects too so bummer... I am going to try Atlas007's suggestion.

The preference panes I deleted were drivers for an Xbox 360 controller. Although the problem returned to Logic, I was also experiencing lag and choppy UI throughout my computer. Thankfully that was cured.

I checked in the Controller Setup Window and I don't have any of my controllers setup in there. After i thought about it, I have never setup any controllers in there except for (a long time ago) when I used Touch OSC with my iphone and Logic. The weird thing is one of my controllers now won't work with Logic at all (Axion 49 1st ten). It still shows up in "Clicks/ports" in the evironment, but after I make the attachment to the Sequencer Input and Midi Monitor, nothing is received. It still works with every other software just fine. I have tested other keyboards but they are still suffering as well but at least Logic recieves their midi data. Another thing I noticed is that my NI Maschine appears to work fine even when in Midi Mode (not being used with NI Machine plugin). However, I have noticed in the Piano roll that when I record some data, there are always 2 hits. I never noticed before because they are exactly the same size so the bottom one is completely hidden. I don't understand how Logic is not receiving midi from one keyboard, receives choppy, laggy midi from some, and receives double the midi of another. Any ideas?

If you are getting two notes for every one you are playing.. then you have a midi loop somewhere in your system... You need to check your connections... I would personally unplug all external controllers.. restart Logic.. Quit Logic and then plug in one controller, restart Logic and trouble shoot from there.. checking for those double notes.. Test each controller separately and then together until you find the offending one...