Really having trouble with errors/processing

troymess

Hello everyone,

I've been referring to this board since 2007 or 2008 and have really appreciated the help. I'm running an old March 2007 iMac with a dual-core processor and 4gb of RAM. I've been using Logic on it for quite some time. With a recent project, I've really been enjoying some of the Waves CLA plugs but they unfortunately take a LOT of memory and processing to work.

Because of the high demand, I've been getting two errors very consistently: Hard disk is too slow and then an error concerning the audio core processing. It makes sense as I only have two cores and it's becoming impossible to keep up with the high demands of this project.

I've already frozen all the tracks and close every other program on my computer except for Logic to give Logic the most it can have. I'm posting here to see if anyone else has any advice? It's getting very frustrating trying to mix and it stops playing every five seconds or so. Help!

Have you tried the following:

Create an empty audio track.

Set its input to none.

Do not instanciate anything on it.

Select it when on play back or when recording.

Also:

Use 64bit plugins, if not possible, try running Logic in 32bit mode.

Have you checked these: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3834

and/or: http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91490&hilit=Cpu+Overload

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll be trying everything you mentioned tonight and tomorrow as there are a lot of resources to try and dig through. I didn't realize how much of a trade off it is when freezing tracks between the CPU load and the HD load. My HD is a 7200rpm Hitachi, so I don't think switching over to a 7200rpm Firewire800 will help with the HD issue, will it?

Also, as a side note: Does having inputs assigned when in the mixing stage affect the processing of the CPU and HD? Should I disable all the inputs now for my tracks since I'm past the recording phase? Also, does having tracks assigned to folders have any bearing on the issues I'm having?

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll be trying everything you mentioned tonight and tomorrow as there are a lot of resources to try and dig through. I didn't realize how much of a trade off it is when freezing tracks between the CPU load and the HD load. My HD is a 7200rpm Hitachi, so I don't think switching over to a 7200rpm Firewire800 will help with the HD issue, will it?

Recording audio to a different HD than your system's (and Logic) one will definitely make a difference if you have a mechanical drive.

Also, as a side note: Does having inputs assigned when in the mixing stage affect the processing of the CPU and HD?

Normally it should. Also, disabling software monitoring could be of some help. Some other adjustment in that Audio Preference panel could be worth to check.

Should I disable all the inputs now for my tracks since I'm past the recording phase?

Logically I would think so.

Also, does having tracks assigned to folders have any bearing on the issues I'm having?

I don't see what you mean here

I don't see what you mean here

Let me clarify, I was asking if having folders for my tracks (I break them up into drums, bass, guitar, and vocals) would have any effect on the processing while I mix. I don't think it would, but wanted to see if you had any insight.

Thanks so much for the help on the above questions! I really appreciate it. I have noticed a difference after disabling Software Monitoring and messing with a few other settings. I'm also unfreezing some of my tracks so I can take some of the burden off the HD. I'm going to be purchasing an external drive with FireWire 800 capabilities (My old iMac's fastest option as I don't have Thunderbolt or USB 3.0) for my sessions instead of running them off my local hard drive.