Who's ready to go to Yosemite (OS 10.10)

seriously, what's life without risk??

Life is risk.

Just makes good sense to calculate any risk that you can before making decisions. Makes life a little less bumpy.

i don't mind the bumps...some of them even push you up higher. but, whatever works. we all have our way of approaching change.

Absolutely not ready. I'm perfectly happy with my Snow Leopard setup. Thee's a chance that if I upgraded my OS, some of my third-party audio plugins won't work (Rosetta support ended with SL 10.6.8, I believe?)

If it ain't broke, I don't fix it! :)

-GD

I don't understand this urge to always push out new OS all the time, and seemingly at an ever growing pace?

Why not simply make the one that is already there perfectly stable or at least try?

Most users don't really care about new fancy stuff coming out, especially from an OS!

In fact, most even dread the new OS coming!

Especially at the cost it always involve. Even when it is free to obtain, there is cost to upgrade the other softwares (the ones that we really care about), and that is when you can(!), the time it cost to get acquainted with the changes, the time spent to update the drivers and maintain the usability of the hardware they serves, etc... There are a lot of cost involved, and for what?

Really, I am not against improvement, far from that! And I am very well aware that imply having occasionalnew OS(es).

But at the current rythm, it seems increasingly obvious that those are pushed on the market for marketting strategy and don't really serve the end customer after all.

This is because you have an outdated mindset. Gone are the days of OS upgrades being so drastic and different that they break all sorts of software in the process. From a compatibility standpoint, the difference between Mountain Lion and mavericks is negligible, as will be the case with yosemite. So with that in mind, what's the big deal with a yearly upgrade? You could very likely run that and in an hour have the new OS with absolutely no impact to your drivers or audio projects.

Your argument about marketing strategy makes no sense because the OS is free now. Improvement and refinement, fresh new interfaces are a good thing.

lol

it's great that software, hardware...keeps evolving. easy enough to NOT update, or keep the same mac. or whatever. but change is GOOD; new tools, new options. better speed. better STABILITY. personally, i love seeing new OS's, apps, updates etc...

Me too, but I kind of get frustrated when keeping up makes me spend more and more time for computer/hardware/software management than using it for the purpose these are made for. It's like I become more at the service of the machine than the reverse...

And if you seriously spend more time managing your computer than making music, it sounds like you don't make enough music.

:)

lol

This is because you have an outdated mindset. Gone are the days of OS upgrades being so drastic and different that they break all sorts of software in the process. From a compatibility standpoint, the difference between Mountain Lion and mavericks is negligible, as will be the case with yosemite. So with that in mind, what's the big deal with a yearly upgrade? You could very likely run that and in an hour have the new OS with absolutely no impact to your drivers or audio projects.

Your argument about marketing strategy makes no sense because the OS is free now. Improvement and refinement, fresh new interfaces are a good thing.

lol

+1

I don't understand this urge to always push out new OS all the time, and seemingly at an ever growing pace?

Why not simply make the one that is already there perfectly stable or at least try?

Most users don't really care about new fancy stuff coming out, especially from an OS!

In fact, most even dread the new OS coming!

Especially at the cost it always involve. Even when it is free to obtain, there is cost to upgrade the other softwares (the ones that we really care about), and that is when you can(!), the time it cost to get acquainted with the changes, the time spent to update the drivers and maintain the usability of the hardware they serves, etc... There are a lot of cost involved, and for what?

Really, I am not against improvement, far from that! And I am very well aware that imply having occasionalnew OS(es).

But at the current rythm, it seems increasingly obvious that those are pushed on the market for marketting strategy and don't really serve the end customer after all.

100% agree with you mate! & to be judged saying you have an out dated mind set :lol:

I have installed Lion,Mountain Lion & Mavericks giving them a try :oops: i kept & went back to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 which for me is the best! :mrgreen: i just want to make music! :D

Mavericks Logic 9.1.7 or 9.1.8 Logic EQ mouse scrolling is sticky & laggy with a problem like that there will be other problems in Mavericks also with Lion,Mountain Lion & Mavericks the quicklook was not as fast as Snow Leopard when going through my wav samples or just music,it feels as new OSX comes out things are becoming more difficult.

I wonder who is going to say you "you should not be using Logic 9 on Mavericks" Haha! There is no question Apple do all this for money & makes me laugh when i see "but its free".

Gone are the days of OS upgrades being so drastic and different that they break all sorts of software in the process. From a compatibility standpoint, the difference between Mountain Lion and mavericks is negligible, as will be the case with yosemite.

:shock:

Really?

I have many programs besides Logic and upgrading from one OS to another very often "breaks" the software because software versions are "no longer supported"/compatible with the new OS. I would either have to upgrade that software at great expense or stop using it.

Gone are the days of OS upgrades being so drastic and different that they break all sorts of software in the process. From a compatibility standpoint, the difference between Mountain Lion and mavericks is negligible, as will be the case with yosemite.

Really?

I have many programs besides Logic and upgrading from one OS to another very often "breaks" the software because software versions are "no longer supported"/compatible with the new OS. I would either have to upgrade that software at great expense or stop using it.

I think that it might be more accurate to say that they're no longer being maintained by the software developer.

no real problems here... (logic X, adobe suite, pages, scrivener, etc etc etc). and any issues usually get sorted out pretty quickly. logic X and mavericks are killing it for me; fast, stable...less overloads than i had with logic 9 (altho still have them).

anyway...whatever works. i love being at the 'cutting edge', but it's hardly essential. the bottom line is always:

'i need to get my work done'.

Edited by fisherking

I think that it might be more accurate to say that they're no longer being maintained by the software developer.

Semantics. :roll:

Check out the links in the post before yours. :)

It's very impressive stuff, and it isn't a gimmick. He uses this software.

Recent discussions about him (he chimes in) on Gearslutz:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/927110-guy-midisong-has-some-pretty-amazing-programming-skills-fast.html?highlight=midimadness

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/cubase-7-nuendo-6/927792-those-who-they-could-work-fast-cubase-7-a.html?highlight=midimadness

The good old days: MIDI Music 1986 from a TV show called The Computer Chronicles.

Except that a real musician uses an ASCII keyboard instead of one of those newfangled mouses.

The Apple IIGS is discussed at 14:35 (1986-92, introductory price US$1000, or about $2000 in today's dollars).

This is actually a pretty interesting video if one wants to know from whence we've come.

..........................................................................................................

Laptop run on Yosemite beta; current versions of Logic & Final Cut

Four central processing units, 16 gigabytes of memory, 512 gigabytes of flash storage

Schoeps microphones | Sound Devices recorder & interface | Kawai MIDI controller | VI Labs Beckstein

100% agree with you mate! & to be judged saying you have an out dated mind set :lol:

You do.

I have installed Lion,Mountain Lion & Mavericks giving them a try :oops: i kept & went back to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 which for me is the best! :mrgreen: i just want to make music! :D

Then stay there and be merry! Rest of us are moving on.

Mavericks Logic 9.1.7 or 9.1.8 Logic EQ mouse scrolling is sticky & laggy with a problem like that there will be other problems in Mavericks

Nice assumptions, there. What makes you so sure about that?

When you deal with computer software, the latest and greatest versions are generally way more stable and less bug-prone than legacy code (9.1.7) - which aside from maintenance fixes, is mostly abandoned.

Try Logic X and upgrade your s#!+ to Mavericks. Don't worry, everything will be fine. Don't be skurred.

also with Lion,Mountain Lion & Mavericks the quicklook was not as fast as Snow Leopard when going through my wav samples or just music,it feels as new OSX comes out things are becoming more difficult.

I don't know what you're talking about, here. If you mean going through samples in finder, there are better utilities for that.

I wonder who is going to say you "you should not be using Logic 9 on Mavericks" Haha! There is no question Apple do all this for money & makes me laugh when i see "but its free".

but its free.

lol

Really?

Yes, really. The most drastic changes in the mac world have been the switch to Intel-based CPUs, and then the switch to 64 bit. Now that we are there, everything mostly works flawlessly between Lion, ML, and Mavericks. There are always little software version issues, and I say little, some are unavoidable. And you know what, the vendors have updates out usually within 2 weeks of release. So, it isn't a big deal at all.

"upgrade at great expense?" Man, this board cracks me up. You mean a free download on the vendor's webpage?

It's like you guys remember the pains of upgrading 20 years ago and never opened your eyes to realize that things have changed now.

This is why in a production environment it's good to wait a little while before upgrading, use time machine to be able to swap back in an emergency, and best yet, use multiple boot hard drives to test stuff out if you have a mac pro.

lol

Yes, really. The most drastic changes in the mac world have been the switch to Intel-based CPUs, and then the switch to 64 bit. Now that we are there, everything mostly works flawlessly between Lion, ML, and Mavericks. There are always little software version issues, and I say little, some are unavoidable. And you know what, the vendors have updates out usually within 2 weeks of release. So, it isn't a big deal at all.

"upgrade at great expense?" Man, this board cracks me up. You mean a free download on the vendor's webpage?

It's like you guys remember the pains of upgrading 20 years ago and never opened your eyes to realize that things have changed now.

This is why in a production environment it's good to wait a little while before upgrading, use time machine to be able to swap back in an emergency, and best yet, use multiple boot hard drives to test stuff out if you have a mac pro.

You're wrong nologic.

Twice I have had Quark Express become obsolete because of new OS and had to pay the full price ($800) for the full version and now once again if I update to the latest OS Quark will not run on it. Same with Quicken and several other programs. I don't know where you get your info from but mine comes from real life experience.

You're wrong nologic.

Twice I have had Quark Express become obsolete because of new OS and had to pay the full price ($800) for the full version and now once again if I update to the latest OS Quark will not run on it. Same with Quicken and several other programs. I don't know where you get your info from but mine comes from real life experience.

haha. We're talking about audio software. Specifically Logic and 3rd party plugins.

Quark Express? Should we also open the discussion about the rise and fall of Lotus 123 vs MS Office? Are you serious dude?

If Quark is too slow to support OS X, or makes you pay extra for it, that's their problem, not the OS's. You snooze, you lose, your competition will chew you up.

Back to the topic at hand, in this day and age, every major audio DAW and plugin supports Mavericks, and they will seamlessly support Yosemite, for free.

lol

You're wrong nologic.

seriously, tho...quark screwed up; they let adobe come in and take their market, by (among other things), NOT being on top of updates, compatibility. indesign kills it these days... & quicken...what's wrong with those guys?

anyway, there are ALWAYS other apps when developers don't keep up.

Teddy,

Well that's what you get for using Quark instead of InDesign :)

Seriously, what you're talking about has to do with the policy of software developers on their own upgrades and has nothing to do with the operating system.

Even then, Quark's policy, like Adobe's before it moved to Cloud-based subscription, was to let users upgrade even if they were behind by a couple of full versions.

Right now, you can upgrade to Quark 10 for $350 if you have version 9 or 8. It's only if one has version 7 or earlier that one has to pay $800. And Quark has worked with Mavericks since version 9. It sounds like you're using version 7 or earlier. Are you really running Snow Leopard so that you can use quite old versions of Quark and Quicken?

Personally, I don't quite get the idea of foregoing operating system upgrades in order to avoid the cost of third party software upgrades, especially when those upgrades presumably improve the third party product. I think that if an application was so peripheral that I didn't want to pay for an upgrade, but I really wanted to run some legacy version, I'd buy the cheapest second-hand computer that I could find to run it, and otherwise get on with life.

I kind of did a bit of a double take at the mention of Quark. As you probably know, a few years ago it was rapidly losing user base and looked like it may go the way of the Dodo bird. Interesting if they've made something of a recovery.

Edited by rorick

haha. We're talking about audio software. Specifically Logic and 3rd party plugins.

Wrong again nologic.

This is a discussion about OS in general and how it affects all software, not just audio. My subject line does not distinguish it as a Logic only discussion. It is about Apple OS in general. But I will leave you to your trolling ("haha").

seriously, tho...quark screwed up; they let adobe come in and take their market, by (among other things), NOT being on top of updates, compatibility. indesign kills it these days... & quicken...what's wrong with those guys?

Agreed fisherking.

Quark was good when I first starting using it but over the years they got worse and worse. I started on Quark many many years ago so I have many Quark files. I also own the latest Indesign but have yet to have the time to learn it and with all of the design files that I created on Quark, I still need Quark to utilize those files.

Yes, Quicken seems like they're sleeping and they wake up once every ten years. But again, I've been using Quicken for my finances for so many years that I need the program to bring up old info when needed and continue with my current accounting so therein lies my concern with constantly obsolete hardware and OS/software.

I'm not against progress but it seems that there is a definite attempt to force us into purchasing software over and over again when in my opinion these things could be a little more seamless.

...with all of the design files that I created on Quark, I still need Quark to utilize those files.

C'mon, you can convert them. I don't know what's going on with Quark these days, but every person that I personally know who used Quark moved to InDesign and converted their files.

...with all of the design files that I created on Quark, I still need Quark to utilize those files.

C'mon, you can convert them. I don't know what's going on with Quark these days, but every person that I personally know who used Quark moved to InDesign and converted their files.

Rorick, I have not learned InDesign yet so if you can tell me how to convert the Quark files to InDesign I would really appreciate it.

Wrong again nologic.

This is a discussion about OS in general and how it affects all software, not just audio. My subject line does not distinguish it as a Logic only discussion. It is about Apple OS in general. But I will leave you to your trolling ("haha").

No it isn't, you're just stubborn. Listen to me, this time pay careful attention.

GONE are the days when OS updates are so massive that everything breaks. Now they are more frequent and less drastic. Everything works better.

You had a bad experience with one program made by people who made bad decisions. That's on them, listen to what others here are telling you.

And keep your little wannabe insults to yourself, they're laughable at best. It's painful to be wrong, I know.

lol

Edited by lologic

Bringing this back to Logic and Yosemite...

I've now been running Yosemite beta 1 for five days and Logic is running fine.

This may in part have to do with the fact that the latest version of Logic was just released, so the programme may well be ahead of the curve on Yosemite compatibility. For example, Final Cut and iMovie are not yet working.

It's clear that Yosemite is about new graphic design, greater integration with iOS and, most importantly, new features (none of which appear to have anything to do with how applications like Logic run).

To take a couple of simple examples, I love the new Spotlight and the new Notifications. In Mavericks, I rarely used the latter, indeed tended to find it annoying, but I'm now actually bringing it up a few times a day. Its utility is significantly expanded. Then there's the important stuff, like much expanded iCloud, "family" sharing of stuff like music and books, and some things that weren't even mentioned at the Developer Conference, such as the fact that a Mac will now recognise an iOS device, including its screen, as a video source.

Then there's Swift. Still working my way through the manual, but this new language is a big deal.

The oddest thing that I've read in this thread is the statement of one participant in this forum that he will avoid Yosemite as long as possible because, from what he's seen, it's "fugly". Since the person who wrote that has seen nothing except some pictures of icons, I gather that it's a suggestion that Sir Jonny doesn't know how to design. The graphic and typographic design changes are subtle, and take about an hour to get used to, but personally I like them a lot.

Edited by rorick