Moving/copying an automation curve to another parameter

Atlas007

I just found a convoluted way but that works anyway.

If you are interested:

You need to go via the Automation Event List (Ctrl-Cmd-E) after you have selected the track containing the automation to either copy or move. Of course you have enabled the automation of the interesting track(s).

Once the Automation Event List open, you need to decipher which fader item correspond to which automation type (if you already have more than one type created) to copy/move, as all kind of automation pertaining to that track will be listed mixed up in there. And what distinguish one type of automation (i.e. Volume) from another (i.e. Pan) is a combination of their Ch# and 1stVal#. Note that Volume and Pan automation are labeled as such in the LengthInfo part, but most of the other type of automation are not....

Clicking on a fader item in the list should highlight the corresponding point/section in the curve represented in the track. Dragging/selecting the automation segment of the curve to move/copy in the track should also highlight the corresponding fader items in the list.

To discover which Ch# and 1stVal# to assign to the new fader items to be created, you have to create an automation point in the corresponding destination automation lane (i.e.: Pan), that will reveal in the same.

Now depending of the intended operation, moving or copying the following procedure differs:

To move: From the selected/highlighted (source automation) fader items in the Automation Event List, drag up or down the Ch# and 1stVal# respectively, to correspond to the new automation type to obtain.

Sliding up or down on several items will edit them all at once.

To copy: Select/highlight (the source automation) fader items in the Automation Event List and issue a Cmd-C then a Cmd-V. That will create a duplicate of what was selected and leave you with only the duplicated items as selected/highlighted.

Use the above describe method to slide up or down the Ch# and 1stVal# to correspond to the new automation type to obtain.

The above procedures works also fine between tracks. But requires that you open a new Automation Event List after having selected the other track. So you could work from each distinct track's Automation Event List.

You can do it using the Copy-Copy/Convert function for track automation.

Simply hold down Option (the Command key also works, so it's your choice) while changing from one parameter to another in the Automation Parameter pop-up menu.

Keep in mind that not all parameters "translate" well to others. If you have volume automation with lots of control points all over the place, and you convert this to say, Mute automation, the results won't make sense. Doing Volume to Pan will give you an inverted curve.

J.

Simply hold down Option (the Command key also works, so it's your choice) while changing from one parameter to another in the Automation Parameter pop-up menu.

Keep in mind that not all parameters "translate" well to others. If you have volume automation with lots of control points all over the place, and you convert this to say, Mute automation, the results won't make sense. Doing Volume to Pan will give you an inverted curve.

J.

Thanx Jordi!

Would you have the reference in Logic X user manual?

J.

After further testing the method you describe, there are indeed some "translation" yielding to unpredictable if not weird results.

I found that my method is somewhat more predictable in many instances, although way more tedious all the time compared to yours...

I think you'll find that no matter what method you use, some parameters' automation simply cannot be copied or converted to others due to their nature. Try volume to mute, for example.

Once the Automation Event List open, you need to decipher which fader item correspond to which automation type

Here's some tips for making those easier to decipher:

Channel 1 Fader events: Channel Strip parameters (Volume, Pan, Mute, Solo, Send Levels)

Channel 2 Fader events: Insert 1 parameters

Channel 3 Fader events: Insert 2 parameters

Etc...

You can also connect a Monitor object to the relevant channel strip and click the parameter whose fader events you want to see.

J.

• 1 year later...

Thank you, mister!! This was about to drive me nuts. Most things are easy and obvious once you know the secret key though. Logic has a lot of secret keys.