Where are my Audio/MIDI Setup custom icons hiding? [SOLVED]

skylark

I posted this in the Apple support forum but got no help so... I'm gonna bug you guys.

I was attempting to add a custom icon to my Audio/MIDI Setup collection when I realized they're nowhere to be found.

• My custom icons are currently being used, so they are somewhere.
    I can readily locate "/Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/Generic/Images/" but not a folder names "Custom".
    Spotlight searches have turned up nothing.

Ideas anyone? Thanks!

Hi,

My custom icons are currently being used, so they are somewhere.

I can readily locate "/Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/Generic/Images/" but not a folder names "Custom".

It would make sense for your custom images to be in /Users/your username/Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/Custom/Images/

Spotlight won't search that location unless you configure it to do so.

J.

Hi,

My custom icons are currently being used, so they are somewhere.

It would make sense for your custom images to be in /Users/your username/Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/Custom/Images/

Spotlight won't search that location unless you configure it to do so.

J.

Yeah... Thanks, Jordi... That was close enough to jog my memory. The first thing I tried to check was my user Library folder but when I didn't see one I absentmindedly focused on the SYSTEM Library. The trick was... The user Library folder was HIDDEN. Your tip led me to remember to UN-hide it. Voila!

Thanks again...

• 7 years later...
8 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Have you tried googling for same?

Here's one site I gleaned on my first attempt with generic ones.

I did but as yet haven't had much luck -- there were a few sites like the one you linked to but nothing that really appealed to me. Other links found on dedicated hardware forum sites that initially looked promising no longer work and are absent from the internet archive.

I guess I hoped to find a repository of icons maintained by Synth manufacturers specifically for Audio MIDI Setup, and failing that, a community driven archive.

Seems odd to me that AMS has select menus for manufacturer/model but which are unpopulated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

On 9/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, exmachina said:

Seems odd to me that AMS has select menus for manufacturer/model but which are unpopulated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My bad, I misunderstood, thinking you were looking for Logic’s track icons…

Indeed, the AMS is really poor in terms of icon choices.

Which specific model(s) or brand(s) are you looking for?

23 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

My bad, I misunderstood, thinking you were looking for Logic’s track icons…

Indeed, the AMS is really poor in terms of icon choices.

Which specific model(s) or brand(s) are you looking for?

The generic single and double-space rack gear works for my synth modules, and a few of the synth keyboards work fine for everything except my Juno 106, would be nice to have an Octapad icon instead of the drum machine generic I'm using now. Making do with another MIDI interface icon for my Roland MPU-101 MIDI>CV adaptor. 

If I were really being anal about this I'd craft my own icons, but it only sounded like fun for about five minutes. ;)

image.thumb.png.5051cea2d4822977bb77f90d40955b47.png

• 1 month later...