Zoom to playhead instead of region? [SOLVED]

Simon R.
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I am trying to migrate to LPX from Logic 9 - I distinctly remember that zooming in/out in the arrange window in LP9 kept the focus at the playhead, regardless if you have selected one or more regions - is this not possible in LPX? Rarely I want to zoom to a region (I am sure there is already another shortcut for that), usually I want the playhead to be my centre of attention.

Thanks!

zooming in/out in the arrange window in LP9 kept the focus at the playhead, regardless if you have selected one or more regions

Unless the playhead is outside the selected region's boundaries. The behavior is the same in LP9 and LPX.

Sorry, I just checked, you are right. Don't know why I think it zoomed to the playhead in Logic 9 hmm. Oh well 8)

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi,

Noob here just picking up on this thread...

So reading this am I right to assume that zooming to playhead cannot be dialed in as priority over selected regions?

Depending on what you want to achieve, there is one thing that takes priority over both playhead and region. Create a "Marquee line"(clicking once with the Marquee tool without dragging) and zooming will take place around that "line" as long as it's there...

blink

So reading this am I right to assume that zooming to playhead cannot be dialed in as priority over selected regions?

If the playhead is within the boundaries of the selected region, the playhead is the priority. If the playhead is outside the selected region boundaries then the selected region is the priority.

Depending on what you want to achieve, there is one thing that takes priority over both playhead and region. Create a "Marquee line"(clicking once with the Marquee tool without dragging) and zooming will take place around that "line" as long as it's there...

Creating a Marquee line deselects all regions, so in the end the behavior is the same with the playhead (as long as you deselect the region).

• 1 year later...

I just found a workaround!

I often want to select regions either side of the 'region of interest' - zoom in to the region of interest and move it into position visually, and thus have all the other regions moved by the same amount.

Obviously, the problem is that, having selected numerous regions in front of the playhead, when you zoom it takes you to the start of the first region.. often half a song away from the bit you want to look at.. At the magnification required to do the task you'll never find the playhead by scrolling around.

Poking around (after having found this thread in my frustrated search for a way) I happened upon this:

Put your cursor where you want to do the task, zoom all the way in (the cursor will now be miles away, impossible to locate without zooming back out!) - now click the "Catch Playhead" button - takes you right to the cursor!! (and your magnification stays the same!)

Screenshot 2022-05-03 at 12.25.19.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/3/2022 at 7:31 PM, blue-moves said:Poking around (after having found this thread in my frustrated search for a way) I happened upon this:

Put your cursor where you want to do the task, zoom all the way in (the cursor will now be miles away, impossible to locate without zooming back out!) - now click the "Catch Playhead" button - takes you right to the cursor!! (and your magnification stays the same!)

I don't quite understand what you mean, could you please explain like I'm 5?

On 9/1/2022 at 7:03 AM, anp27 said:

I don't quite understand what you mean, could you please explain like I'm 5?

What @blue-moves is saying is that if after zooming in you can no longer see your playhead because the playhead is off screen, then you can click the Catch Playhead button (or press `) to see your playhead. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Is there any way to get the Zoom/Magnifying tool to simply zoom in over where it hovers using the 'Control Option' command and zooming with the mouse wheel when no regions are selected?  It will still zoom to playhead in this scenario or just the center of the screen. I know you can hold control-option and click to make it zoom in to exactly where it is or hold the click and drag to highlight an area...which is surely helpful at times...but having it just zoom to where my mouse is...that's still not a thing yet, is it?