Soundflower setup in Logic

Meezy

Hello,

I'm trying to set up so that I can record audio rewired from Reason instead of bouncing individual tracks. I'm not sure if this is possible or not but I thought it would be cool to assign every Reason channel to a channel in Logic (which I've done), and arm all the tracks at once and hit record. This would save time compared to the individual solo and bounce method.

Looking through some posts I've decided the only way to do this is to use Soundflower to rout the outputs from the rewire channels to inputs of audio tracks, arm the audio tracks and hit record. Is this right so far?

The problem is that I have installed sound flower but I was expecting some Soundflower IO options on the tracks. I can't see any and I can't find much documentation on how to do this. I've selected Soundflower 2 chanel as a driver in Logic and selected my mbox in the soundflower settings but I don't understand what to do next.

HELP MEEEEEEEE!

:cry:

I found an old post with other people trying to achieve the same thing. This question was never answered in the original post:

So I've got reason to *play* through logic - but I can't record it? I have a sequence that I made in reason, and now I want to make it a track in a logic song.

I've got my Rewire Mix L and R tracks, and they are getting signal, but when I hit record - nothing.

Any ideas?

I am having this same issue using Ableton Live. I want to be able to screw with audio loops in Ableton and have it come into Logic as audio. Is there a step by step process for this? I set up the environment like described above and Logic triggers Live and I get signal like Lanervoza...but when I hit record...nothing.

Help!!

You have to make an aggregate device in the audio sound panel (system preferences), combining sunflower with your existing device. Then choose that in Logic and you should see the ins and outs. It's really quite easy once you do that and grasp the idea that you are just adding virtual ins and outs to your existing set up. It works fine.

I do not use soundflower, but this info might help.

http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower

"...How To Use Soundflower

Soundflower presents itself as one of two audio devices (2ch / 16ch). The 2-channel device is sufficient for most situations.

To send the output of one application to another, select Soundflower as the output device in the first application and Soundflower as the input device within the second application.

If an application does not allow you to specify audio devices, you can make Soundflower the default input or output device inside the Sound panel in the System Preferences, or with the Audio MIDI Setup utility application.

The 16-channel device is provided for more complex routing situations, and can be used with more than two applications simultaneously if the applications support audio routing to any channel, as Max/MSP does.

Note that Soundflower's audio channels represent a global audio space. If more than one application is sending its output to the same channel, the audio will be mixed. If you want an application to send and receive audio through Soundflower, (for instance using Max/MSP to manipulate and return another application's audio) you must send and receive the audio on different audio channels or a feedback loop will be created.

If you are hearing clicks or breakups, try increasing the buffer size of both applications (set within each application)."

I do not use soundflower, but this info might help.

http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower

"...How To Use Soundflower

Soundflower presents itself as one of two audio devices (2ch / 16ch). The 2-channel device is sufficient for most situations. . . . .

."

yea that's the only bit of infomation I can find and it doesn't really tell you HOW.

You have to make an aggregate device in the audio sound panel (system preferences), combining sunflower with your existing device.

Maceasy, I'm not sure what you mean by "make an aggregate device."

You can read about in Apple docs or do a search on the Apple site. Anyway, open Audio Midi Setup programme, choose Audio Devices, choose Audio on the menu, Open Aggregate Device Editor, and then create a new audio device with soundflower and your existing device. That will then appear in Logic when you choose a new device. It's pretty self-explanatory from then on.

I have a Help file on my site that deals with Aggregate device setup with Logic and Max/MSP. It deals a bit with Soundflower setup and routing. That may be of some help.

http://home.lagrange.edu/mturner/MitchWebSite/logic%20help%20files.html

Also, Edgar rothermich let me know that he has written a great deal on the Aggregate Device using Soundflower as one element of the Aggregate device:

quote from Edgar======

For more in-depth explanation of the Aggregate Device settings and Audio Devices in general download my Personal Manual "Logic 7.2 Audio Devices"

The free pdf file is available on my website at:

http://homepage.mac.com/edgarrothermich/Manuals.html

end======

Hope this helps you out a bit,

Mitch

Thank you guys,

I've got it sussed out now.

I hope that the next Rewire or Logic update makes it possible to record rewired audio. To me this would be one of the main features I expected when Rewire first came out.

Now I think about it, I might be wrong but I swear I used to do this with Cubase VST back in 2002.

I have a Help file on my site that deals with Aggregate device setup with Logic and Max/MSP. It deals a bit with Soundflower setup and routing. That may be of some help.

http://home.lagrange.edu/mturner/MitchWebSite/logic%20help%20files.html

Also, Edgar rothermich let me know that he has written a great deal on the Aggregate Device using Soundflower as one element of the Aggregate device:

quote from Edgar======

For more in-depth explanation of the Aggregate Device settings and Audio Devices in general download my Personal Manual "Logic 7.2 Audio Devices"

The free pdf file is available on my website at:

http://homepage.mac.com/edgarrothermich/Manuals.html

end======

Hope this helps you out a bit,

Mitch

Yes and btw what Edgar has done is remarkable and he is to be congratulated for his efforts.