Nektar Panorama Logic Integration Update

AFAIK, yes, it's limited to patches within a given patch folder. This isn't necessarily the "root" folder - but rather the "active" (open) folder/bank. Having said this, the behaviour varies between plug-ins.

I'll explore this further and if I can find a way to navigate in/out of folders - or to make use of internal databases within (at least some) 3rd-party plugs - I'll post back.

AFAIK, yes, it's limited to patches within a given patch folder. This isn't necessarily the "root" folder - but rather the "active" (open) folder/bank. Having said this, the behaviour varies between plug-ins.

I'll explore this further and if I can find a way to navigate in/out of folders - or to make use of internal databases within (at least some) 3rd-party plugs - I'll post back.

Thanks for the clarification and explanation. And indeed, I'd appreciate it if you're able to find a solution, but won't hold you to it. :-)

It appears that you can sequentially step through patches that are in different "bank" folders - as long as they are saved in a Logic-readable format.

Some third-party AUs, such as Blue II (and I suspect the Spectrasonics insts), use FXB / proprietary files for internal banks. The programmers have presented these in such a way that Panorama can step through patches in the active bank straight away.

In plug-ins like this, you need to manually switch between banks (mouse) - or load, then save in Logic-readable format, one at a time. Once you've done this, you can step between banks as with any plug.

Thanks for checking on this, oscwilde; much appreciated!

If I were to save, say, two banks of patches, each within a folder, by having them into Logic readable format, will those folders be readable in such that I can navigate my way between the two banks, jumping from one folder to another, via the Patch keys alone? I might be asking for a bit, but at least I'd know its limitations.

Yep. Once you've saved them as Logic (aupreset / CST / patch) - you can set them up in any folder hierarchy you want:

- within an overall Presets folder, with Bass, Lead, etc. subfolders

- Bass, Lead, Velanche's Faves folders at the "root" level

- Folder order is alphabetical / numerically ordered (as are the contents in the folders)

In looking at existing presets from various manufacturers, they tend to group their banks of patches in 32, 64, 128 per-bank.

I'd imagine this is a MIDI throwback / designed to emulate the behaviour of "classic" synths that the plug-in is modelled on (Jupiter 8, Pro 5 etc)

In testing, I found that you could exceed this number in "bank" folders - and could still step between banks....BUT...a couple of plug-ins behaved inconsistently when navigating forward/backward between banks/folders.

As such, I'd limit any custom banks to the default number of patches used in the factory banks of the synth in question.

As above, this typically tops out at 128 patches per bank/folder - which makes sense as it potentially allows MIDI bank select/program changes - should you decide you want to do this sort of stuff in the Environment.

Thanks for looking deeper, oscwilde; those are good things to know.

When I'm ready to proceed, what I'm more likely to do is to perhaps go through one category (or bank) at a time, and picking those presets that suit me and save just those. As my sound design skills build, I may rely on them less, but they are good to have around for possible usage, as well as educating myself to observe how they are built.

I appreciate the observations and insight!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey people, I'm Leon, who created the mapping app to be used with the panorama, the cloud feature is running, in fact it has been for a while but i've been busy with work to finish it off and get it out to people, saw this thread and decided to make a post.

Would really appreciate it if you guys using it could give it a try and let me know how it goes. I can tweak as per your suggestions and then hopefully have something that works for people to share mappings, and then i can go back to Nektar and see what they think.

Any other ideas throw them out.

I'm particularly interested in the program change/patch presets discussed on here that can be imported into Logic, if you want a central place for these files i can upload them and run a database for people to retrieve them, and/or set up an app for that to be automated too.

Anyway, Get latest build from here and let me know how it goes:-

http://getpatched.co.uk/downloads/apps/nektar/panorama/nkPanoramaLogic_Tool.zip

Hello Leon:

Thanks very much for contributing your editor to Netkar and to the Logic community; it's something that can help move things along in terms of ease of use across the board, even when it comes to third-party patch mappings.

I have been a bit busy, and it'll be a bit before things die down, but I think it would be great if the mappings were hosted, and then let folks know about how to retrieve them. I will try and link this thread to the one that one of the folks here on this thread pointed me to for third-party presets.

Much appreciated, Leon!

V.

No probs mate!

Just throw a load of different mappings up if you can, don't worry about the content, i can delete them later - i'm more interested in that the upload/download mechanism works for people.

The mappings which are uploaded will also appear for manual download here:- http://getpatched.co.uk/catalog.php?hwid=4

Thought i'd post that weblink as it shows you what already exists, and therefore, is available in the app. when i get a chance i will upload all the standard logic plist mappings and standard nektar plist mappings. Which is nice to have if you make an issue witin your own setup, to default back to those.

Just received this from Nektar:

NEKTAR PANORAMA & OS X 10.11 COMPATIBILITY

Apple are releasing OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) on September 30.

We have found some issues during the process of testing Panorama with the latest beta version of OS X 10.11 that we currently are working on resolving.

Panorama of course will be compatible with OS X 10.11 but an update to Panorama software will most likely be required. We therefore recommend that you initially postpone updating to OS X 10.11 on any computer that you need to work with Panorama.

We expect to have completed all testing and needed revisions to our software, within the next 2 weeks.

Nektar Impact products have already been tested and verified to work with OS X 10.11

Just found out that on the P4/P6 you can hold the Fader button down and use the Data encoder to scroll through automation modes without having to step through them one by one - not sure if people are aware of that or not, but it's a big bonus for me and thought i'd share as i can't remember reading it in the manual.

As i mainly use Read and Touch this is great, as it means i don't have to scroll through all the options and engage 'write' mode which would write over automation as you passed through it when playing.

Just a quick note to say that I think that the PLPECS [Panorama pList Editor Cloud Sharing) idea is such a sweet , simple, powerful tool. Brilliant use of available technology, (Shame about the PLEPECS anagram though : ) - I've done a few tests. Works flawlessly.

It would be absolute perfection if the user could see a graphical representation of the control map , on how controls are assigned to the Panorama interface.

Well done lads!

--- Hope your parents appreciate your work.

If not .... Have them call me.

Hi there - yes i can get it to save the user id and pin code - didn't really think of that, Will put that in.

And listing the mappings is something i wanted to do, so yes will definitely be in there when i get a chance.

The main thing that concerns me with the app at the moment, is detecting if a plugin is an instrument or effect - i've not found a robust way of doing it reliably yet so it fails some times which is annoying. I'll be happy once i sort that. :)

Made an update last night - same link for download :- http://getpatched.co.uk/downloads/apps/nektar/panorama/nkPanoramaLogic_Tool.zip

Additions:-

1. Saves username and pin once logged in.

2. Stores the instrument/effects mode toggle when a mapping is saved.

3. New 'HTML Output' button - creates a chart listing the parameters mapped as a webpage - this can be printed/referred to for third party mappings, or just used as an overall view of a mapping before 'saving' it. This will eventually be used as a preview when browsing cloud saves.

4. App is now code signed.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread was so interesting, I did a little research and wound up buying a P6. I got a chance to play around with the Plist editor and really, it's brilliant. This would be a gigantic PITA to do without this application.

One thing that's confusing me though, is that only 4 home buttons are shown for programming, even though there are actually 5. I'm playing around with making a plist for Diva and I could really use all of those buttons. Is this an oversight or is there a reason one of the buttons is missing?

BTW, I hate to be asking nektar questions on a logic forum but I can't find a dedicated forum for that company. Does anyone know if there is one?

Only 4 buttons of the 5 are available for mapping as the first button is fixed as an assignment for the Logic arpeggiator.

Maybe that was an oversight, i don't ever use the arp on/off button personally, but others may find it useful. Like you, i would have preferred to have all 5 buttons mappable - it's hard for them to change now though, as the plist files would read incorrectly if they enabled it for mapping.

And you're right, this forum does seem to be one of the few resources for people discussing the Nektar Panorama - as it's Logic related i think that's ok though, have you got any more questions you wanted to ask then?

I thought about this a little last night and suspected that the first button might have been reserved. I'd prefer that button was programmable, but it isn't a show stopper.

The reason I was hoping there was a dedicated Nektar forum is because most of the other things I have questions about aren't related to the Logic integration particularly. For instance, I'm finding that the knobs make pretty coarse changes to the assigned parameters and I was wondering if there was a way to make them finer, if necessary. Many software plug ins will move in finer increments when a modifier key, like Shift, is held down. This may be impossible to do remotely, but just wanted to mention it. There are a few other UI things I would change if I could, but overall, this is a fantastic addition to my setup. I'm just figuring out the best way to integrate into my workflow.

Thanks for the quick reply and thanks again for the fantastic app!

No Probs.

And yes, i know what you mean in terms of fine control, i think much of it depends on how Logic reports the values to the controller, there's obviously a bit of logic within the panorama firmware to assign to controls and scale them as effectively as possible based on the control surface parameters.

Similar to the encoder values, i've had instances where a button can be used to scroll through 3-4 different options, like filter types etc. And i've also had instances where i've mapped the button to a 3-5 toggle option and it just sends on/off which was a bit annoying.. But there's so many pages of parameters to play with i moved it to an encoder.

What i have noticed with the latest update is that when you press the two octave buttons down on the panorama you should get a setup menu appear on the display, inside there are settings for the encoder curves, but these don't seem to affect the actual precision of the encoders when using it with logic - i can't remember if it was like that pre-update or not. Or whether those settings are just for 'internal' mode.

You can also adjust the control surface relative mode to 'fine' within Logic Control Surface Setup and you will get fine controls for small fraction values, but this doesn't work well with coarse values such as semitone adjustment on synths.

Anyway, i would say It's worth contacting Nektar via their website, they are extremely helpful and i'm sure would appreciate it if you had any ideas for future updates and may be able to help you further. I'm going to suggest shift and parameter change for fine control as i think that's a great idea!

And yes, i know what you mean in terms of fine control, i think much of it depends on how Logic reports the values to the controller, there's obviously a bit of logic within the panorama firmware to assign to controls and scale them as effectively as possible based on the control surface parameters.

Similar to the encoder values, i've had instances where a button can be used to scroll through 3-4 different options, like filter types etc. And i've also had instances where i've mapped the button to a 3-5 toggle option and it just sends on/off which was a bit annoying.. But there's so many pages of parameters to play with i moved it to an encoder.

This is exactly one of the things I was wondering about too. It's great that there's a CC step mode for the buttons, but there seems to be no way to specify the step size, so you could make button pushes that had 3-5 steps across the entire range. The step size seems to fixed at 1.

What i have noticed with the latest update is that when you press the two octave buttons down on the panorama you should get a setup menu appear on the display, inside there are settings for the encoder curves, but these don't seem to affect the actual precision of the encoders when using it with logic - i can't remember if it was like that pre-update or not. Or whether those settings are just for 'internal' mode.

Yeah, I tried this too, but this is the only software revision I've used, so I can't answer about previous versions. But anyway, I don't want to have to change the global response of a controller just to make a fine change to one parameter.

Anyway, i would say It's worth contacting Nektar via their website, they are extremely helpful and i'm sure would appreciate it if you had any ideas for future updates and may be able to help you further. I'm going to suggest shift and parameter change for fine control as i think that's a great idea!

Right. I'll give that a try. I would prefer that a few things worked differently, but they're relatively small. Still, all those little things add up in the end, so it's worth mentioning them.

Thanks again!

Ok, so i just been speaking to Nektar support on this 'fine adjustment' issue, and it looks like the Panorama has the 'shift' functionality built in. But doesn't work quite as hoped at the moment.

In the Global setup menu (Hold both octave buttons) - The Encoder Curve is related for standard encoder movement, and Enc Curve 2 is for standard encoder movement when the Shift button is held down!

If you set Encoder Curve to Off, and Enc Curve 2 to Lin Step (It seems that Off and Lin Step are the best options to use) - You then get slower/finer adjustments when turning the encoders, then you can hold Shift button to get larger adjustments - kinda the opposite effect.

So, if you reverse that setting and Set Encoder Curve to Lin Step, and Enc Curve 2 to Off then you basically get fine adjustment control when using the shift button!! Yay! ...or not :) It seems setting Encoder Curve to Lin Step also affects the Data knob - which means you can't select the different plugin pages correctly! lol

However, it's good that Panorama appears to have a shifted functionality in there, must admit i wasn't even aware before speaking to support!!

Edit: Just found out that:

Encoder Curve: Standard

Enc Curve 2: Off

- That setting works well, giving you the shift option for fine tuning!! :)

Edit (Again):

Or maybe not! Seems like the minimum step is still the same - i was fooled... damn! :(

I gave this a quick try this morning. It worked pretty well with the Retro Synth cutoff. There's definitely finer control with the Shift key held down. The P6 display still shows the same steps, but it takes quite a few extra turns of the encoder to get the same results I get without the Shift key held down. Unfortunately, it has no effect with Diva. I can understand, actually. There isn't any standard for which modifiers or sets of modifiers have to be held down in order to change parameter editing to "fine" mode. Each developer comes up with a different system. It seems that with my plug ins, the Shift key is most often used, but that could just be a coincidence. I'm not sure what the solution to this problem would be. I wonder if something could be done with the F-Keys?

There's been an interesting thread over at the U-he forum regarding using controllers to program virtual synths in general and using Ableton Push in particular. The consensus seems to be that control surfaces are fine for simpler virtual instruments, but become unwieldy with complicated instruments. Because you can only control a limited number of parameters at a time, some kind of page system becomes necessary. It's fairly easy to deal with a small number of pages, but it gets crazy when there are like 70 pages of parameters. But even on complicated instruments, these controllers can be good for quick edits of envelopes or filter cutoff. They just don't keep up well when you're really trying to create a sound and get into some deep editing. I haven't spent as much time trying to program with control surfaces as the people in the discussion, but this has been my general experience as well. Panorama has the most sophisticated interface for this sort of thing that I've used up to now, so I'm interested in seeing how useful I'll find it for plug in editing.

I'm surprised at how comfortable I already am with going between my usual mac keyboard control of Logic and using the mixer and transport sections of the P6. They did a nice job of making it all as seamless as possible. I'm just trying to not get too attached to using the P6 because I can't carry it around everywhere I work! But, that's a nice problem to have.

Thanks for all the info skijumptoes!

Well, it's a funny paradox really, Software plugin users want hardware controllers so they can control all aspects of the plugin like hardware, and many Hardware users like to see a software plugin for controlling their hardware via a mouse, and easy automation! :)

I think sometimes (And i feel very much this way with the Panorama) you just need to stop tweaking and just use the damn things. I always had this problem with Novation Automap (SL Mk2 etc), i would be forever tweaking my settings and forever finding sleaker methods of using a wrapped plugin to build a sound in, then saving that preset, re-loading the non-wrapped plugin, and recalling the preset i had made - all so that my projects aren't tied in to automap, but i could use the advantages of automap!

Of course making music became more of an IT Session as it did about being creative - hence my main reason for jumping to the Panorama - i wanted to remove all barriers, plus have a surface for when i record live audio.. When i'm recoding guitar etc i just like to shut the monitor off (I use one all day!) and record using the transport controls and track selects - i cannot stress how good the panorama has been for that!! :)

So far the Panorama truly has been a breath of fresh air, but at the same time i think (Based on my opening line) there's no shame in having to use a mouse/keyboard for some of the deeper aspects of sound design. i.e. many of the matrix based synths are just too complex to fully control using banks of 8 encoders. But then i guess the whole concept of matrix systems is to have the matrix in place up front to give you more hands on 'tweaks' mid performance.

Combined with the excellent thread on here for the patch/au preset libraries - i'm finding myself being able to scroll through a batch of sounds using the Patch +/- buttons, find something similar to what i want, and then tweak via the front panel - without even looking at the screen. That for me is such an immense improvement to how i was running things previously.

Also, i've found that i'm going back to the more basic instruments, such as retro synth, and layering multiples to create some great sounds - because it's so much quicker to dive into!

As for the diva issue, i don't think the shift button is actually sending a shift key command, i think it's just using the 'Enc curve 2' resolution/curve for the encoders, i'm going to try mapping f keys to a shift button though, and see if that works for fine control - i suspect it won't because the control surface adjusts values in a different way to the mouse/ui method - but definitely worth a try.

What i personally would think would work well is if the control surface settings (In logic) defaulted to 'fine' control, and not 'coarse' - then by standard the encoders had a considerable amount of acceleration on them, i.e. as they are now - whereas holding shift turned off the acceleration. This would give you incremental steps of '1' (single) values.

I don't know if you've tried setting the P6 control surface relative setting to 'fine' in Logic and seeing what i mean... But the fine control is definitely there if Nektar could find a way utilising it.

I got the impression from support however, that they would rather look into a method of reading the range of values from the plugin and adapting the encoders to be most suitable - but was told that many plugins do not publish their min/max ranges so would require big architectural changes to the base system in how to achieve this (aka not gonna happen lol). I do like that they're looking into all these aspects though, and so far the updates have been great.

Well, it's a funny paradox really, Software plugin users want hardware controllers so they can control all aspects of the plugin like hardware, and many Hardware users like to see a software plugin for controlling their hardware via a mouse, and easy automation! :).

Yes, this sounds right. We always want every option, even if we don't need them. I think what the guys who want a hardware knob for every parameter are missing is that that approach worked on a minimoog or prophet because they're basically simple synths. All of us wanted a lot more control as soon as we got software instruments, but that makes working with knobs a lot more difficult. There's some tipping point where using trackpads, mice, etc. in conjunction with knobs makes more sense than trying to do everything with just the knobs.

I think sometimes (And i feel very much this way with the Panorama) you just need to stop tweaking and just use the damn things. I always had this problem with Novation Automap (SL Mk2 etc), i would be forever tweaking my settings and forever finding sleaker methods of using a wrapped plugin to build a sound in, then saving that preset, re-loading the non-wrapped plugin, and recalling the preset i had made - all so that my projects aren't tied in to automap, but i could use the advantages of automap!.

I totally agree with this. The tools themselves can become a big distraction, which is the exact opposite of the intended result. The tools are supposed to make a smoother workflow, not become some big project of their own. But I sometimes wonder if people like the distraction of something new because it's more fun than actually getting back to work. I include myself in that statement...

Of course making music became more of an IT Session as it did about being creative - hence my main reason for jumping to the Panorama - i wanted to remove all barriers, plus have a surface for when i record live audio.. When i'm recoding guitar etc i just like to shut the monitor off (I use one all day!) and record using the transport controls and track selects - i cannot stress how good the panorama has been for that!! :)

That's a great idea. I don't find the monitor that distracting (I might be fooling myself about that, though), but it would be interesting to try this.

So far the Panorama truly has been a breath of fresh air, but at the same time i think (Based on my opening line) there's no shame in having to use a mouse/keyboard for some of the deeper aspects of sound design. i.e. many of the matrix based synths are just too complex to fully control using banks of 8 encoders. But then i guess the whole concept of matrix systems is to have the matrix in place up front to give you more hands on 'tweaks' mid performance.

This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. I'm not married to any particular way of working. I don't mind using the mouse or trackpad. I don't feel like there's some big disconnect when I'm using a trackpad compared to using a knob. When the knobs and sliders are set up for the right parameters, I like using them. They're fast and I can make a lot of changes in a short amount of time. But, for anything that isn't already conveniently mapped to a knob, I'm fine with using the mouse. Honestly, sometimes it's the easiest way to make a change.

Combined with the excellent thread on here for the patch/au preset libraries - i'm finding myself being able to scroll through a batch of sounds using the Patch +/- buttons, find something similar to what i want, and then tweak via the front panel - without even looking at the screen. That for me is such an immense improvement to how i was running things previously.

I saw the thread, but I've been too busy to play around with this. If I understand correctly, I need to save the patches that are stored in any proprietary plug in library over to the logic library and then I'll be able to use the Patch-/Patch+ buttons to audition sounds. Is that right?

Also, i've found that i'm going back to the more basic instruments, such as retro synth, and layering multiples to create some great sounds - because it's so much quicker to dive into!

Yes, the knob per parameter system really works better on basic instruments. I haven't tried the Alchemy mapping, but I'm imagining 100s of pages!

As for the diva issue, i don't think the shift button is actually sending a shift key command, i think it's just using the 'Enc curve 2' resolution/curve for the encoders, i'm going to try mapping f keys to a shift button though, and see if that works for fine control - i suspect it won't because the control surface adjusts values in a different way to the mouse/ui method - but definitely worth a try.

I wondered about this too. The f-key would have to be "holding down" the shift key and I don't think they work that way. They're more of a one shot macro send, aren't they? I have to admit I haven't tried this yet, though. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about control surface settings as you are, so thanks for the info. I think this is probably the place to look.

What i personally would think would work well is if the control surface settings (In logic) defaulted to 'fine' control, and not 'coarse' - then by standard the encoders had a considerable amount of acceleration on them, i.e. as they are now - whereas holding shift turned off the acceleration. This would give you incremental steps of '1' (single) values.

I don't know if you've tried setting the P6 control surface relative setting to 'fine' in Logic and seeing what i mean... But the fine control is definitely there if Nektar could find a way utilising it.

OK, I'll take a look at this.

I got the impression from support however, that they would rather look into a method of reading the range of values from the plugin and adapting the encoders to be most suitable - but was told that many plugins do not publish their min/max ranges so would require big architectural changes to the base system in how to achieve this (aka not gonna happen lol). I do like that they're looking into all these aspects though, and so far the updates have been great.

Wow. That sounds ambitious. I suppose that would be the best way, in a perfect world. But, if everyone isn't publishing those ranges, I'm not sure how that system could work. What these guys have already achieved is pretty impressive though. I'll be interested to see where they take things from here.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say .... I am VERY pleased with this update. It's not really an update .... but a complete , specific, tight control to Logic Pro X.

Exceptional integration. Intuitive. Seamless . This was a LOT of work. Well done.

Now .... I just bought UVI Falcon today. If you have not heard seen about this new AU .... it's a must.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5zqgQoSQcs

I'd pay someone to come up with an intuitive map for Panorama and this powerhouse synth.