Nektar Panorama Logic Integration Update

I can't quite confirm this, but if you're using the El Capitan fix, you're good. But if you're using the OS X beta, stay alert. I believe that using the public beta after I applied the otherwise stable El Capitan fix broke my P4's connection to Logic X. Because of that, plus another piece of hardware I use that currently does not have El Capitan support, I gave in and rolled back to Yosemite.

Nektar have released an El Capitan -specific version of the Panorama drivers/support.

Check the Downloads section at http://www.nektartech.com/

Hi .... I am not seeing anything in my downloads section that is specific for El Capitan and P1 / Logic .

What is the latest firmware version?

I have "Panorama_P1_FW_v011209.bin" in my FW folder . Is this the latest?

I believe that I have 'buggered-up' something.

P1 has 'partial control' of Logic .... and Logic is not showing parameter updates as I turn a knob (Smart Controls).

I'll try an uninstall/reinstall after I hear back from you.

Thank you

If you've registered your P1 on Nektar's site, go to the My Downloads link. On the next page, it'll ask you to choose your OS, and you need to choose the OS X El Capitan option. The page after that will show the El Capitan uploads for the various DAWs, including Logic.

If you still have trouble, then you should reach out to Nektar's tech support, and you can submit a request via its support page.

FYI,

V.

Just found out that on the P4/P6 you can hold the Fader button down and use the Data encoder to scroll through automation modes without having to step through them one by one - not sure if people are aware of that or not, but it's a big bonus for me and thought i'd share as i can't remember reading it in the manual..

So how do I activate this? I have a software instrument track selected, held down the fader LED button but I don't see any changes on the channel strip, which still says "Read." What am I missing?

No probs mate!

Just throw a load of different mappings up if you can, don't worry about the content, i can delete them later - i'm more interested in that the upload/download mechanism works for people.

The mappings which are uploaded will also appear for manual download here:- http://getpatched.co.uk/catalog.php?hwid=4

Thought i'd post that weblink as it shows you what already exists, and therefore, is available in the app. when i get a chance i will upload all the standard logic plist mappings and standard nektar plist mappings. Which is nice to have if you make an issue witin your own setup, to default back to those.

I havne't had time to dig into my P4 or the Logic integration, but slowly now getting back into it. I am considering mapping some third-party plugins that I have, but wanted to find out something first.

You have spent quite a bit of time mapping the factory Logic plugins. Have you noticed a common pattern in terms of how Nektar chooses to group common parameters? I'm curious about that, because it could be that I may want to approach mapping third-party plugins in the same way via the plist editor. Maybe grouping common parameters that I'm likely to use is another possible approach. I just want to group areas for quick and easy workflow.

What say you?

... go to the My Downloads link. On the next page, it'll ask you to choose your OS, and you need to choose the OS X El Capitan option. The page after that will show the El Capitan uploads for the various DAWs, including Logic.

Thank you sir.

Note : I have previously installed all the Nektar/Apple files for my iX61 .... along with the P1 stuff .

Will any of the iX files interfere with the P1 installs?

Thank you so much for your fine support. .... and products

Cameron

Hey Tim:

I've been busy as all get out, but finally spent a few days this past week working through the new Logic integration, between the new documentation and the demo you've done with Sonic State. I also gone through the Pads instructions again too.

Thanks for the tip on the F-Keys option. I actually tried it with Subboombass, and it worked. I just have to memorize how to use my tab key to navigate through an interface. I will play around on other third-party plugins to find out whether or not it works with them.

Hey Tim:

Yes, watching your recent demo with you using the F-Keys for Alchemy inspired me to check to find out if that worked with third-party plugins. I only tested it with Subboombass so far, but I haven't tried navigating the browser fully with it. Not sure if there's an indicator of what portions of a browser is currently selected; I should look into that.

One other thing: I see that you have one of the buttons in the video replaced with "New" to invoke a new track. Since there are only eight buttons per DAW, is it possible to create a second set of eight for Logic? Or do you suggest another way? I'd like to not have to replace any of the first eight because I can surely use them.

• 2 weeks later...

Valanche - Sorry not checked forum for a while been busy - For the automation mode, hold the fader button AND turn the data knob to the right of the screen and you can pick automation modes that way - it's easy to go from latch to read for example without having to execute all the others in-between (or in one direction toggle) which can cause a warning to pop up on the screen (In the case of 'write').

Also, as for the Nektar mappings, for synths they definitely like to stick with 1-4 faders to be envelope ADSR, 5-8 Filter ADSR and the 9th Fader for master volume. Personally prefer that 9th fader to be filter envelope amount as volume i can manage on the track motorised fader.

Then, the 8 home encoders tend to be the most used 'tweaks' - i.e. either macro controls or Cut off/Resonance etc.

Valanche - Sorry not checked forum for a while been busy - For the automation mode, hold the fader button AND turn the data knob to the right of the screen and you can pick automation modes that way - it's easy to go from latch to read for example without having to execute all the others in-between (or in one direction toggle) which can cause a warning to pop up on the screen (In the case of 'write').

No worries! I think Tim Chandler demonstrated this in his most recent video with Sonic State on the Logic integration update with Panorama. That's quick and sweet; I just need to play around with it so that I can get it right.

Also, as for the Nektar mappings, for synths they definitely like to stick with 1-4 faders to be envelope ADSR, 5-8 Filter ADSR and the 9th Fader for master volume. Personally prefer that 9th fader to be filter envelope amount as volume i can manage on the track motorised fader.

Then, the 8 home encoders tend to be the most used 'tweaks' - i.e. either macro controls or Cut off/Resonance etc.

Sounds logical and makes sense. I just have to sit down and plot out what I want to create, and go from there. Might be a little while, but will work on my first one in a few weeks during vacation time. Thanks for the perspective!

You can't using the standard mode, but you can always pop into smart control mode and/or standard midi modes and control it that way - it's only an additional button press once you have the basics set up!

Smart controls is best for me if i really need a midi fx option - for example on Logic's arp you can map/learn Rate, Note Order, Variation and Octave count to 4 smart controls, and they're directly assessable via the Panorama Smart control for the track you've set them up on.

How does the keybed compare to the SLMk? I've read many reports of it being noisy.

I'm always very disappointed when testing other keybeds.

On my Novation SLMKII, the keys would bottom out fairly quickly, I was constantly getting a "plonk" type sound when getting to the end of key travel. Aftertouch for me was really really squishy as well.

On my Panorama P4, key travel is nice, aftertouch is nice, but whenever the key travels back to its original position, I get that "Plonk" sound. It's especially annoying when playing drums live into Logic. I could always use the pads, but I still haven't gotten to that part of learning the P4 yet.

And as another side note, be warned that there is little documentation provided. The Panorama has some deep customization/programmability to it, but good luck trying to find that info anywhere. The help system on the Nektar website is kinda convoluted to get the info you need.

All in all though, I absolutely adore this unit, it has upped my workflow productivity immensely!

I found the Panorama hard work to start with, the keys felt more piano-ey/heavy for me, the SL Mk2 was always my goto previous to that, and i guess it was much similar to the Roland Synths that i was used to before that.

However:- Now if i go back to the SL it feels cheaper, and as the post above says, it bottoms out so easily. Basically i think most people adjust and get familiar to what they have. The Nektar is one of the best keys out there though and i have absolutely no issues with them. However, i am far from being a serious pianist - if you are then you need to sample both, and the Roland A- (pro) series too.

The SL has some serious issues with it's velocity curves and i have to place a velocity plugin in logic to get it feeling how i like.. There's also quite a difference between white and black keys on some octaves for me. However, there's no denying that for a midi controller the SL series was head and shoulders above everything else when it came out.

When you look at the Panorama as a whole though, that's now way ahead - Having Novation's Automap intwined within your projects is not a great position to be in as you'll be forever at the mercy of Novation supporting an Automap client for future OS's. Each plugin you use needs to be 'wrapped' by automap and you select that version of the plugin in your projects. If you uninstall Automap you lose that plugin when you re-open the project.

If you can keep your audio environment locked down and don't need to move with the latest OS updates it's probably not a concern, but as i'm forced into updating my software to keep up with my work - i have no options but to travel aboard Apple's tour bus whether i want to or not. So this was a huge factor in my leaping from the SL Mk2 to the P6.

The Panorama gives you very deep integration and it leaves no footprint - i just cannot shout enough about how great these controllers are - even the motorised fader is great for riding vocals. Also, one other thing is that there's room for my hands on the Panorama, the SL Mk2 was extremely cluttered and i would be forever hitting other controls by mistake.

I'm a huge fan of Novation, so it does hurt me saying all this!

(I won't mention that the pads 'actually' work on the Panorama then, or that the touchpad is a complete waste of time on the SL lol :) )

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I just got my Nektar P4 today, still fascinated by all the options although not sure if I like the keyboard or not... Thanks to this discussion I now at understand where the patch order is taken from when triggering Patch+ and Patch- in combination with using Alchemy - Thanks for that important info :-) !

I am currently thinking about what's the best way to move through patches of external midi synthesizers (like Yamaha Motif ES).

Two ways I could think of:

- Option A: Remote controlling the Midi- or Multi-Instrument in Logic somehow (where I have already put all the patch names of my default banks of the synths I use inside), so that Logic would then apply this bank and program setting to the midi track settings - honestly I have no idea if this is possible at all - can I change the program/bank properties of a Midi instrument track in Logic via Midi from Panorama?

- Option B: Using two Encoders of the Panorama P4 to choose Bank Select and send Program Changes to the external Synths. This is working fine with configuring an encoder/knob for sending Program Changes 0-127, but I totally fail to send Bank selects to the Yamaha Motif ES.

This should be fairly simple, as in Logic I configured Bank MSB (0, 63) and Bank LSB (32, 0) for first bank, Bank MSB (0, 63) and Bank LSB (32, 1) for the second bank etc., but in the Panorama I have no idea how to achieve this. I found NRPN (coarse) and (fine) options, but how can I make the encoder send different values for the LSB parameter to my synth? I tried a lot of combinations but they all don't seem to work, bank never changes on the Motif :-(

Please let me know what you think!

Have a nice evening!

Try pressing the two octave buttons on the left of the keyboard to get the global menu up on your Panorama - in there are bank select and program change controls that can be used globally. That may work for you?

And like you, i wasn't sure on the keys to start with, i found myself tripping over them initially, now i'm used to it, it feels great.

It does feel a bit weird when playing synth leads still though, it's a bit hammery.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there. :)

Thanks for this thread. Very useful information. I´m a new user of the P6 and am very impressed by it so far. I have two questions and thought they´d fit here:

1. How can I make effect-plugins show up in the display of the P6 in order to control their parameters?

2. Somehow I have a problem with the banks in mixer-mode.

For example: Even though tracks 1-8 are selected in Logic the faders of the P6 start from track 9 on. This means I can´t control the first 8 tracks.

Cheers for now,

putte

• 2 weeks later...

1. How can I make effect-plugins show up in the display of the P6 in order to control their parameters?

2. Somehow I have a problem with the banks in mixer-mode.

For example: Even though tracks 1-8 are selected in Logic the faders of the P6 start from track 9 on. This means I can´t control the first 8 tracks.

1.  You should be able to control any FX plugin in Mixer mode.  Press the INSERTS button in the display.  If you mean MIDI FX, this is not possible to control from the P6 directly currently, but you can map MIDI FX parameters to the smart controls and control them that way. 

2.  Selecting tracks in Logic doesn't automatically shift the bank of a control surface.  SHIFT+TRACK up/Down will move the P6's fader bank up or down.  If you bank down and find you can't access tracks 1-8 that suggests a second control surface is in the way.  It maybe that there are 2 instances of your control surface.  Check the Control Surface Setup.  You should see P6 control surfaces - Mixer, INsturment and the Nektar P6.  Any other control surfaces attributing to the P6, delete them!

I solved the problem meanwhile, thanks a lot though. And while you´re here: before I bought the P6 I watched you presenting these babies. This also helped me with my desicion. So thanks for that too. :)

Now, after some time with the P6, I truly fell in love with it. It´s a beatiful piece of Hardware, works like a charm and also feels very good when playing it. The display is marvelous and all the handling is very well done. Highly recommended. Yeah!

• 6 months later...
I have a strange problem! Trying to customise some insert parameters (3rd party) with Panorama Logic Tool,that i received with downloads and in tool everything is ok,but sense then in Mixer page for Inserts Panorama shows me ONLY ONE PAGE of parameters for every plugin,even Logic Built-in?!? Tried with restart of Panorama and computer,shut down then restart and even unplug the cables and put them back again. PLEASE HELP!! p.s. When trying to move the pots for inserts,they respond but with old Maps (original) even with changed parameters in PanoramaLogicTool. Strange... :/ P.P.S NO PARAMETER NAMES FOR INSERTS on LCD,forgot to mension... 

Hi Radjenko77, Maybe try removing the Panorama device from Logic control surface setup page, and restarting (Quit/re-open) logic may help get your LCD displaying correctly again?  The panorama should auto detect and setup again when you go back into Logic - this may also help your issue that only one page is showing.

As for the mappings stuck on their old versions, well, you need to re-open the plugin after changing the mappings with the tool, and the new mappings will load too.