OS X El Capitan - Not supported Software and Hardware

In few weeks I will be taking delivery of a new MacBook Pro. At present I have a three-year-old MacBook Pro running Yosemite. This machine is failing and must be replaced, but that also means that my time machine backups are all Yosemite. It is my preferred operating system because I run a lot of 3rd party AU plugins some of which are not currently compatible with El Capitan. Yes I know that the recent 10.11.1 update is supposed to fix that, but obviously some problems remain.

These are the 3rd party AU plugins I currently have installed and validated within Logic 10.2. All of them are the latest updates as of about a week ago.

Native instruments Komplete 10 plus Scarbee J Bass, Strummed Acoustic and Razor. Zebra 2, Bazille, Zebraette, Uhbik effects, Waves Silver, Sonalksis Free G, Izotope Ozone 5, Amplitube 3, Melodyne singletrack.

My new computer will ship with El Capitan pre installed. What I’m hearing is that there may be firm-ware issues that will prevent the new MacBook Pro from running Yosemite, or at least the version of Yosemite that’s installed on my current computer. This may have something to do with the fact that my current machine created the time machine backups and is a few generations earlier than the new machine. It was released in 2012.

I also don’t have the option of reinstalling Yosemite from the apt store because it was never originally downloaded from there.

My question is this is there any way I can force the new machine to completely revert to my time machine back up, including Yosemite? Sorry for asking this question on this site but I’ve learned that the Apple advisors, even the senior pro app advisers, rarely know how to answer questions related to 3rd party plugins.

My question is this is there any way I can force the new machine to completely revert to my time machine back up, including Yosemite? Sorry for asking this question on this site but I’ve learned that the Apple advisors, even the senior pro app advisers, rarely know how to answer questions related to 3rd party plugins.

Maybe with the MBP. WIth the new imac, definitely not. Worth a try. Worst case, CMD R at boot to recovery which will reinstall EL Cap and then you can tell it to use your TM for all data, apps etc.

Upgraded my MBP with lots of plugins and everything working except Ozone4. Looks like Izotope is aiming for the end of November for El Capitan compatibility. Unfortunately Ozone4 is not on the list. I never upgraded to Ozone5 or 6 or 7 because Ozone4 had what I needed. I guess I may have to shell out some bucks.

Maybe with the MBP. WIth the new imac, definitely not. Worth a try. Worst case, CMD R at boot to recovery which will reinstall EL Cap and then you can tell it to use your TM for all data, apps etc.

I use a MBP early 2011, upgraded with SSHD. It was more than enough until Yosemite, which was a very slow and bugged OS. El Capitan is way much more everything !

So even if some plugins don't work for now, I don't regret the update. Strangely, Ozone 6 does not work as a plugin, but works fine as stand alone. So I can keep mastering my own stuff outside Logic.

I mostly use Logic plugins anyway. They're very powerful, especially the compressors.

Hei, hei!

I'm preparing to upgrade to El Capitan and install Logic Pro X. I have been working on OS 10.6.8 and Logic Pro 9 with little issue but realize it is time to upgrade in order to make all my programs & devices compatible.

So, has anyone had any issues using Logic Pro X with El Capitan, and if so, could you tell me what they are and if you have found the fixes? I am using an EIE pro interface with a PRO MPA II with an iMac i5 (2010) - very simple system. The only plugin I'm using at this time is Melodyne, but plan on purchasing Ozone as well as Native Instsruments.

Nervous,

Bambi Wolf

Going from Snow Leopard to El Capitan is a big jump. My major concern would be compatibility issues between what you're running now versus what you'll be able to run in 10.11.1. I had problems with stuff that ran perfectly fine in Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion causing issues and crashes in El Capitan. I'd check the compatibility of all your hardware and 3rd party software, upgrading where you can and discarding what you can't. That may seem painful but I just spent 7 months dealing with software problems that came all the way from OS 10.4. Sometimes Time Machine is not your friend. Having said that Logic 10.2 is great!

So, has anyone had any issues using Logic Pro X with El Capitan, and if so, could you tell me what they are and if you have found the fixes?

I have used since 10.11.1 came out, and now I'm having some irritating problems, where Logic Pro X hangs during loading some huge(ish) Kontakt libraries. It did that occasionally with Yosemite, but with El Capitan the whole system goes very unresponsive. It's like LPX takes the whole system down. The only thing that is responsive is the spin on the spinning wheel, it just keeps on spinning very smoothly without any hiccups, everything else is sluggish. Even mouse movements take ages to get registered and the cursor jumps in big steps, sometimes movement lags behind several minutes so there is not much I can do than hold down the power key.

Not a happy camper here.

I'm not having that problem here. If anything the Kontakt libraries are loading quicker. But I do agree that the behaviour of both my magic mouse and my track pad were better under Yosemite. And there are a few other non-logic related problems as well. Personally I was forced into being an early adopter because of purchasing a new computer that came with El Capitan pre-installed. I was worried but, apart from a problem with my Nectar P1 not liking El Capitan, all else within Logic is fine. All my 3rd party plugs are working since 10-11-1. To put this is context though, before replacing my computer, I did an erase and install where I re-downloaded all software from directly from the respective software companies rather than use the time machine backup. That resulted in me having the latest and cleanest versions of everything. Then when I got my new machine I had a very clean time machine backup to work with. Things went very smoothly. Is it possible, nbd, that you're running an earlier version of Kontakt 5 with El Capitan? Time machine, by the way, is not always your friend. If you've made multiple migrations since OS 10.5 you might be bringing over software that was never intended to run on El Capitan. Older software, especially if it's running in the background, can cause problems with the newer operating systems.

I have used since 10.11.1 came out, and now I'm having some irritating problems, where Logic Pro X hangs during loading some huge(ish) Kontakt libraries. It did that occasionally with Yosemite, but with El Capitan the whole system goes very unresponsive. It's like LPX takes the whole system down. The only thing that is responsive is the spin on the spinning wheel, it just keeps on spinning very smoothly without any hiccups, everything else is sluggish. Even mouse movements take ages to get registered and the cursor jumps in big steps, sometimes movement lags behind several minutes so there is not much I can do than hold down the power key.

Not a happy camper here.

Actually it seems that this camper was having his first night in the wilderness. The problem was that I was having too many and too big Kontakt libraries _fully_ loaded into RAM. They were hogging almost all of my memory, so no wonder my tent started to leak during the rain.

The solution was to read some manuals and now I am much wiser and know the wonders of resetting markers and updating sample pool.

I did download the latest Nektar fix. There are issues with it. The zip files don't unpack properly on my mac. When you do get the upgrade installed on the Mac (via workaround ) then there are issues with it downloading the firmware to the device, my case a Panorama P1. I'm currently waiting for support at Nektar to help me with this next step. After that I have to get it to work with Logic. Could be a long day.

haven't read thru the full thread, but I didn't see anything in the first post about it. Sorry if I'm repeating info ...

On Novations website they have a page were all their hardware is listed.

http://us.novationmusic.com/answerbase/are-novation-products-compatible-with-el-capitan

Mysteriously the ultranova won't work,, butt the mininova will. Odd, because I thought that they were pretty similar. I shot an email off to them for a clarification. the ultranova works as a controller/interface/hardware synth all in one .... but I don't use the interface.

This is what they emailed back to me:

We've found that upon playing back any audio recorded via the UltraNovas built in sound card over USB, there will be audible distortion and glitchy audio.

We are currently investigating what we can do to resolve this and are working with Apple to come to a solution.

If you have an important project coming up and currently have a working setup, we wouldn't recommend updating to El Capitan if you need to use your UltraNova.

On the link I posted above it does say that "Automap" does work with El Capitan. I suppose that probably means that all the controller functions should work fine. I would guess that the ultranova AU also works, but I'm going to write and double check.

• 2 weeks later...

M-Audio's Firewire interfaces (jointly developed with Avid, or entirely BY Avid and marketed under M-Audio) are not supported beyond Mavericks, but the drivers worked on 10.10. With El Capitan, it's blocked by SIP.

i've been searching for solutions, since my audio boot drive is still on Snow Leopard and i'm being pushed to upgrade by so many different things. The results so far: You can disable SIP in El Capitan to get the M-Audio Firewire drivers to work (and someone even created a fixed PKG to do the installation, since the existing installers do NOT work), but that leaves you without SIP on El Capitan (surely a reason for having the OS). Also, the control panel software does NOT work beyond Mavericks and there's no solution. M-Audio and Avid have utterly abandoned these products.

• ProjectMix I/O

• ProFire Light Bridge

whew! just moved to a new macbook pro. had a few issues...solved by replacing the audiounitcache with the one from my previous mac. lots of licenses to fill in! (i didn't migrate, installed everything clean). a huge undertaking, but am happy to report that EVERYTHING is working. have been testing out lots of projects, and all sounds load, etc. no weirdness with logic trying to find sounds (which i experienced several years back when i moved to my previous mac). nice!

How does one locate and replace the 'Audio Unit Cache' It is beginning to look like it may be time to consider the move to ElC, but saving that cache would seem to be a prudent move.

my understanding is....time machine does not back up the cache folder? not sure (i live & die by carbon copy cloner). it's in your User library, in the Caches folder: audiounitcache (i just copied that whole folder "Audiounitcache").

i quit logic X, copied that file from my old mac (earlier this year, when i moved to el capitan, i did the same thing from my backup).

and got a few plugins working that weren't validating otherwise.

if you find that file, perhaps save a copy somewhere. seems useful...

The only thing i'm waiting on is Addictive Drums - from XLN:

Hi Malcolm,

While our testing indicates that our products work fine in El Capitan, many others don't yet, so we recommend our users to not upgrade just yet. We don't officially support it yet either, so if you do upgrade we might not be able to help you if something goes wrong.

So . . it's working, but they're not officially supporting it?