Logic 10.4.4 Update Released!

anp27

LOL - I'm finally feeling relaxed and chill with my new gal 10.4.3 and then a younger one shows up and temps me to see if I'm going to stay with what works, or take a chance on the JOY of SURPRISES that a new relationship brings. ;P

I think I'll stick with the one I've got - and keep on doing the Command+S twitch with my left hand! ;)

That was quick...I only installed 10.4.3 a few weeks ago, because I had to move to High Sierra first.

Is High Sierra required to run Logic 10.4.3 or did you move to HS for another reason?

I ask because I updated to Logic 10.4.3 with Sierra and I had a bunch of problems which forced me to return to using Logic 10.4.1. :?

Thanks for reminding me. Went back to 4.2. Had all kinds of problems with LPX. Glad I saved the older versions.

Is High Sierra required to run Logic 10.4.3 or did you move to HS for another reason?

I was using El Capitan with Logic 10.3, minimum OS for 10.4 is Sierra. My iMac is too old to run Mojave, so I installed High Sierra and updated Logic from 10.3.6 to 10.4.3.

Wanting to use 10.4 is the only reason I left El Capitan behind, none of my other software requires a newer OS.

I was using El Capitan with Logic 10.3, minimum OS for 10.4 is Sierra. My iMac is too old to run Mojave, so I installed High Sierra and updated Logic from 10.3.6 to 10.4.3.

Wanting to use 10.4 is the only reason I left El Capitan behind, none of my other software requires a newer OS.

Yeah, I didn't want to leave El Capitan behind either but updated to Sierra to run Logic 10.4.1. Since the minimum requirement for Logic 10.4... is Sierra so I'm not sure why Logic 10.4.3 gave me so much trouble. I'm going to update to Logic 10.4.4 to see if that behaves any better with Sierra. I think my Mac Pro is too old to run High Sierra (if it's even still available) or Mojave. If Logic 10.4.4 also gives me troubles I'll just have to stick with Sierra and Logic 10.4.1. :(

Thanks for your reply enossified!

I think my Mac Pro is too old to run High Sierra (if it's even still available) or Mojave. If Logic 10.4.4 also gives me troubles I'll just have to stick with Sierra and Logic 10.4.1. :(

Thanks for your reply enossified!

IF you are on a 5.1 system 2010 or later MacPro all you need is to do the firmware update and you can run High Sierra, working fine here BTW.

You can run Mojave as well but will need a Metal compatible video card, they have a list of approved ones at Apple

IF you are on a 5.1 system 2010 or later MacPro all you need is to do the firmware update and you can run High Sierra, working fine here BTW.

You can run Mojave as well but will need a Metal compatible video card, they have a list of approved ones at Apple

Thanks for your reply shanabit!

That's interesting.

1. How do you update the firmware?

2. If I update the firmware, do you know if I can still run Sierra and other older versions of OS?

Blue Monkey, just be wary of the different disk format that High Sierra prefers (APFS), once your drive has been formatted to APFS, then reinstallation of past OS's isn't possible unless you reformat the drive back to Mac Ext etc.

I don't know what the installer is like now, but it was pretty much forced on to you when i upgraded, so just a note of warning if you are thinking of rolling back.

Hey Guys,

I’m having the same problem, however it’s not with updating it’s to install the program which I recently bought.

I’m in Australia, which is where I think is the majority of the issues are occurring from.

If anyone could update/inform me if it’s 100% downloading agian, that would be great.

Thanks!

Blue Monkey, just be wary of the different disk format that High Sierra prefers (APFS), once your drive has been formatted to APFS, then reinstallation of past OS's isn't possible unless you reformat the drive back to Mac Ext etc.

I don't know what the installer is like now, but it was pretty much forced on to you when i upgraded, so just a note of warning if you are thinking of rolling back.

Thanks for the reply skijumptoes!

Do you know if the firmware affects just the System HD only or does it actually effect the CPU of the Mac? In other words, if I have an older system on a separate drive, would I still be able to boot up to that system after upgrading to High Sierra?

I really need to be able to fall back to Sierra and Logic 10.4.1 if High Sierra and 10.4.4 give me trouble.

Thanks again for the info guys, much appreciated!

Sorry i don't know, all i know is that it is upgrading the hardware firmware/EFI of your Mac (i.e. the software which runs the motherboard functions), and they make it hard to revert that firmware back. It's something that putting a different HDD in wouldn't sort, for example.

As far as i'm aware there's not even a list out there which shows EFI versions vs Mac OS suitability. Apple just want everyone on the latest firmwares and OS, and that's where the bus stops.

One other thing to note while i'm writing this, is if you have a non-EFI video card in your machine i believe it makes the job harder to upgrade firmware too as you get no display on boot. So be wary of that, i've never had to deal with it personally as i've only upgraded GPU once and that was via authorised agent so is fully compliant.

While it's no help to you really, i've moved 2x Mac Pro's to HS from Sierra and it was simple and smooth. One was a 2008 and i had to run dosdude 'hack' firmware for High Sierra to install, the other was a 2012 and it was fine.

However, i wouldn't go from my advice, if you hold on a day or so more i'm sure someone has attempted to roll back surely(?) If not, then you'd have to presume that no-one's had the need to do so?

Sorry i don't know, all i know is that it is upgrading the hardware firmware/EFI of your Mac (i.e. the software which runs the motherboard functions), and they make it hard to revert that firmware back. It's something that putting a different HDD in wouldn't sort, for example...

Thanks for taking the time to share this information with me skijumptoes! I appreciate it!

I'll do some more research based on your comments and see if I can find anymore info. In the meantime I'll try upgrading to Logic 10.4.4 on Sierra and see how that works out before considering a move up to High Sierra.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Just fwiw (late reply, I know), I'm happily running High Sierra on a 5.1 Mac Pro *without* APFS. And yes, I'm running it from an SSD. What I however did was to install it on an older HDD first (when you do a fresh install on an SSD, it supposedly defaults to APFS, no idea about what happens when you update an older SSD-based system). After that I cloned the drive using Super Duper.

So, whatever issues there might be, the firmware required to run High Sierra doesn't force you to use APFS (I'm not even that sure High Sierra requires a different firmware than Sierra...).

Oh, and fwiw #2: I can as well still boot into 10.6.8 (yeah, good old Snow Leopard) with the very same machine.