Trying to open old Logic Pro 8 and Logic Pro 9 files in Logic Pro X (latest version)

clbmedia

I'm trying unsuccessfully to open old LP8 and LP9 files from my archive in Logic Pro X.

It seems to be hit or miss. I've been able to open a few older files but the behavior I typically see with failed attempts is either:

1. I get an error message saying the file is in an unrecognized format, or

2. It presents the dialog for converting the older file but I get an empty logic file that, when opening, simply asks me to create a new track (as If I was creating a new Project file)

I'm running Catalina on a 2019 Macbook Pro. When I attempt to convert the older files, I select all available options (e.g. Audio files, Sampler Audio data, etc.) to ensure it will save anything from the older file. I've attempted to save as a Folder and as a Package but I get the same result, an empty Logic file.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you compress & attach one of the projects that doesn't open (no audio) and I'll take a look...

Do they still load into LP8/9 without problems?

Thanks for the offer of support. I created a folder on Google Drive that you can access https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GlSTXlF44jMrZqfeW1NwXhBTl5nwud51?usp=sharing.

There's a variety of projects in that folder, all of which I can't open or convert to the latest format.

Sadly, I no longer have L8/9, so I'm unable to open in the older version. I reinstalled an old Mac OS on my 2010 Macbook Pro that I still have and I get the same behavior when attempting to open in Logic Pro X (latest version).

Well, I picked a random zip file, and in it were multiple .logic files, plus folders marked "crashed", and other logic packages that have now been turned into folders. Most of those .logic files were zero bytes so they have all been corrupted somehow, I don't know what you've done to these files, but this particular zip file contents were rather a mess.

Of the projects that did contain data though, I was able to load and/or import those, and ones where the packages have been corrupted and turned into folders, I was able to copy the LgDoc contents into a valid package and again, either load or import that data successfully.

So, for the projects that aren't zero byte files or corrupt, they should all be importable into Logic in one form or another.

Omg that's a lot of stuff to wade through including LPX projects and multiple folders. Can you give me an example file you'd like me to look at?

LPX should load these projects, so I'm just trying to see what happens, not offer to convert your life's work...

My apologies. My intent was not to have you address any of these. I was just offering examples so that you could pick one or two to see if you could open any of the Logic files. Sorry for the confusion. I greatly appreciate your help and it wasn't my intention to have you look at all of these.

Well, I picked a random zip file, and in it were multiple .logic files, plus folders marked "crashed", and other logic packages that have now been turned into folders. Most of those .logic files were zero bytes so they have all been corrupted somehow, I don't know what you've done to these files, but this particular zip file contents were rather a mess.

Of the projects that did contain data though, I was able to load and/or import those, and ones where the packages have been corrupted and turned into folders, I was able to copy the LgDoc contents into a valid package and again, either load or import that data successfully.

So, for the projects that aren't zero byte files or corrupt, they should all be importable into Logic in one form or another.

Thanks for checking out a few of these and sending me feedback. Greatly appreciated! When you say "copy the LgDoc content contents into a valid package", can you explain what you did? I didn't know if this meant you accessed the LgDoc via the Logic file browser or you mean that you used some other method to move it into a package and then load that package with Logic Pro X.

Separate question for my own troubleshooting: Can you tell me what version of MacOS you're using and which version of Logic Pro? I just want to make sure I'm using the same environment and method on my end to see if I can successfully load/convert my files.

Thanks for checking out a few of these and sending me feedback. Greatly appreciated! When you say "copy the LgDoc content contents into a valid package", can you explain what you did? I didn't know if this meant you accessed the LgDoc via the Logic file browser or you mean that you used some other method to move it into a package and then load that package with Logic Pro X.

Separate question for my own troubleshooting: Can you tell me what version of MacOS you're using and which version of Logic Pro? I just want to make sure I'm using the same environment and method on my end to see if I can successfully load/convert my files.

No problem. Duplicate a working package project in Finder. Right-click on it and select Show Package contents. This will reveal that project’s LgDoc folder, and you can just copy one of the other ones in to overwrite this one. The Load or Import that Project into Logic.

I was using 10.5.1 on Mojave for this.

There may be other ways of loading these, but this was just a few ways I tried looking through the example contents of one of the zip files. If all the projects are like that, you’ll need to be systematic and work on backups as it will take a while to organise and convert all those various versions and corrupt/broken versions etc.

No problem. Duplicate a working package project in Finder. Right-click on it and select Show Package contents. This will reveal that project’s LgDoc folder, and you can just copy one of the other ones in to overwrite this one. The Load or Import that Project into Logic.

There may be other ways of loading these, but this was just a few ways I tried looking through the example contents of one of the zip files. If all the projects are like that, you’ll need to be systematic and work on backups as it will take a while to organise and convert all those various versions and corrupt/broken versions etc.

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the extra info.

Just wanted to say, Thank You, again. This has worked really well. I thought I might be out of luck on getting these older files to open. I really appreciate it.