On and Off button not working in Logic 10.4.4

logandrum

Hello wonderful Logic people :)

I have a question about the normal behavior of the on and off button?

As basic as it is I haven't really needed to use it thus far.

But since my template is now getting larger and more taxing on my computer opening it is taking some time.

So my question is..

How come when I option click on the on/off button to deavivate the track nothing happens, meaning with the button off I can still hit record and hear the sound. And the region does not get greyed out like it does when I do this on my laptop version of Logic?

Also, I know I have to option click to truly deactivate the track. What is supposed to happen when you just click the on/off button without clicking option?

When I do this on my laptop which has the latest version of Logic it works normally.

When I turn the button on I see the plug in re-load quickly.

Please don't tell me it's because I am using Logic 10.4.4 :(

I can't update Logic any futher because my 12 core is a dinosaur and I can only update to Sierra 10.12.6

I don't use my laptop to work on even though I have a copy of Logic on it.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong, it would be great to have this functionality on my work computer.

Thanks so much!

Logan

Thank you for your reply Des,

Yes precisely, when the button is off I can play the track and still hear it like normal. And when I turn the track back on after it has been off I do not see the plug in reload as it does nomally from how I see it work on laptop when testing.

The plugin deactivating or unloading is a newer feature that came in with I think 10.5 (hmm, maybe it was 10.4.5ish actually), so if you're running an earlier version, that's not a feature you have.

Are you sure you don't have multiple tracks feeding the same track object?

If you're not sure, you can create a simple cut down project with just that track in it, make sure your problem is reproducible in it, zip and upload it here and we'll take a look at it.

It works as expected here - if you record a MIDI part on the track, and turn the track power button off, that track no longer plays back.

If the track is selected, you're in live mode, in which case the plugin responds to your playing and will use CPU power (regardless of the button status), but when you don't select the track, and aren't playing anything through it (track turned off) it will use no power.

In versions of Logic prior to whenever this feature was added (like I say, I think it was 10..6), then you can option-click the track power button, to deactivate and unload the plugin, so it won't even respond to live input with the track selected, but as I say, you're version of Logic is probably to old to have that feature.

Generally speaking, in 10.4.6ish they aded a plugin load delay feature that won't activate the plugin even on a selected track until you first hit a note, but that's not what's going on here anyway.

Thanks so much Des! I appreciate you taking the time to do this. And yes I see the track being greyed out but since I was able to play and hear sound I figured it wasn't actually being turned off. But to be clear, am I getitng the same end result as current logic users with the latest version? I am asking becuase I never see the plug being reloaded? Sorry for reasking if you answered above. Thanks man!

Well, I'm on 10.5.1 and can't go further, but I don't think anything has changed between 10.5 and 10.6 in that regards.

You won't see the plugin being reloaded, because your copy of Logic does not have that feature. Like I've said repeatedly, this feature was added later than the 10.4.4 version you're using. If you have that feature, option-clicking the track power button dims the plugin in the plugin slot.

If you option-click, and the instrument still shows as normal, and doesn't dim, it's not being deactivated (because that feature is not in 10.4.4)

More:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/logicpro/lgcpcaa7aaa5/10.6.2/mac/10.15.7

Note:

"When a Software Instrument track is turned off, all MIDI regions on the track are silenced, but live input (playing) is still audible."