Question about nanoKONTROL Studio

frostym8

Hi there,

I've decided to go for nanoKONTROL Studio so I could control expression, dynamics, vibrato and other settings with faders on my instruments.

I've set up settings from the app like this:

1680349083_Screenshot2020-12-07at18_03_38.thumb.png.8c9977b33656f50f31c75144ab87e19c.png

So each fader could correspond to these settings: CC1 dynamics, CC11 expression and CC 21 vibrato. Obviously, I chose "assignable" from global settings and wrote scene data from the communication tab at the top

Whenever I open up Logic I use this process:

1. Open Kontakt, load up instrument, remove its current CC1 (dynamics) because it is assigned to my keyboard's mod wheel

2. Try to press learn, move my 1st fader which from the korg app is assigned as dynamics and then nothing happens!

I've realised there's a solution to do it in Logic using control surface parameters and learning these commands manually, however, this method is not working for me at all since I am using a routed template:

I basically use 1 Kontakt instance with multiple instruments and route them to Logic as aux tracks. Whenever I am assigning those settings from control surfaces it only affects the 1st track of the instance while the rest remain untouched - when I select them from DAW, keyboard responds except controls of nanoKONTROL

I've also realised if I leave CC1 on my midi keyboard and in DAW select different aux tracks through routing such as 2nd, 3rd other tracks from the same instance, they ARE being affected!

So the problem lies within nanoKONTROL for sure and I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong

I'm going mad here so any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you are using the Korg as a defined control surface (ie, it has an entry in the control surface setup window), then any MIDI generated by it won't be received by the sequencer, be recordable, or be able to be MIDI learned to plugins (by design).

If you want to use it as a standard generic MIDI controller, then don't use it as a control surface.

If you do want to use it as a control surface, *and* you want to control plugin parameters which is outside of it's designed functionality, it's possible but not straightforward and requires a good understanding of controller assignments and your device's control surface functionality, as well as some design an integration work to build in those features (and even so, this would be controlling plugins via automation, not regular MIDI, so the workflow of how you record and perform would need to change.)

Stop using the Korg as a control surface, delete it from the control surface setup window and remove the Korg control surface bundle from your system, then restart Logic.

Now your device is a generic device that sends MIDI from it's controls, and you can use it in the way you want.