the site, new look, etc

fisherking

Hi David!

Thanx for the hard work and dedication you provided to this forum. While you’re at tweaking your new board:

1. Is it possible to add (back) the link to bring up (in a list) only the posts that haven’t get replied yet?
  2. Is it possible to have the notification list (with the bell icon) to display (in the popping-up list) with a different hue the posts that I didn’t attend to yet?

Those were very convenient features that I’d really like to retrieve…

Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:
  1. Is it possible to add (back) the link to bring up (in a list) only the posts that haven’t get replied yet?
  2. Is it possible to have the notification list (with the bell icon) to display (in the popping-up list) with a different hue the posts that I didn’t attend to yet?

#1 is coming, yes. 

#2 I don't think that's possible but I'll inquire, I agree that it was better before. 

Speaking about the notification (bell icon at the top); it used to display a red badge with a number indicating how many posts were left to be attended.

In this new board (present setting?), as soon as I open that notification pop-up list, the red badge number disappear altogether, leaving me without any clue on how many unattended posts there are left…

Is there a way to set it back (red round badge displaying remaining posts number to attend) to let the user see how many unattended post are left, even after that popup-list had been opened once… until there is no more left unattended. A "zero" number display (or something equivalent) could do the job as well…

2 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

Speaking about the notification (bell icon at the top); it used to display a red badge with a number indicating how many posts were left to be attended.

In this new board (present setting?), as soon as I open that notification pop-up list, the red badge number disappear altogether, leaving me without any clue on how many unattended posts there are left…

Is there a way to set it back (red round badge displaying remaining posts number to attend) to let the user see how many unattended post are left, even after that popup-list had been opened once… until there is no more left unattended. A "zero" number display (or something equivalent) could do the job as well…

Yes, I understand, but unfortunately as far as I know, there's no way to do that on this forum software. That specific part of the notification handling was better in the old software. I'll still inquire to make sure or request that feature. 

I really appreciate the hard work that has gone into the design and functionality of the new site. But I have one real problem with the display:  the loss of really compressed and clear titles of the different topics. It is great that you have expanded and compressed view, but I wonder how possible it is to add an even more compressed view. The problem for me is that there is too much space now between the topics so much more tiring and vigorous scolling is required to spin through the list of topics to get to ones of interest.

In the previous system you could load lots of topics and quickly arrive simply at the titles that were of interest. Now there is a whole lot more information about the author and thread which for me gets in the way of the sorting process.

Also there is too much space given to the signature of the gear that a poster has. This is important but again creates much to much scrolling.

If it is possible to somehow offer a very compact view  of just the topics I would really appreciate that.

Also I miss seeing the amount of years that a given poster has been on the forum. If that could be restored I would be grateful. It is kind of weir to have the 'rank' of a newbie when I have been on the forum since .. 2007 or something like that :)

I do like the additional info of the number of 'solutions' that a person has contributed to as that is useful indicator of their expertise.

Edited by Music Spirit
Forgot to add
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 12:20 AM, Music Spirit said:

I really appreciate the hard work that has gone into the design and functionality of the new site. But I have one real problem with the display:  the loss of really compressed and clear titles of the different topics. It is great that you have expanded and compressed view, but I wonder how possible it is to add an even more compressed view. The problem for me is that there is too much space now between the topics so much more tiring and vigorous scolling is required to spin through the list of topics to get to ones of interest.

In the previous system you could load lots of topics and quickly arrive simply at the titles that were of interest. Now there is a whole lot more information about the author and thread which for me gets in the way of the sorting process.

Also there is too much space given to the signature of the gear that a poster has. This is important but again creates much to much scrolling.

If it is possible to somehow offer a very compact view  of just the topics I would really appreciate that.

Also I miss seeing the amount of years that a given poster has been on the forum. If that could be restored I would be grateful. It is kind of weir to have the 'rank' of a newbie when I have been on the forum since .. 2007 or something like that :)

I do like the additional info of the number of 'solutions' that a person has contributed to as that is useful indicator of their expertise.

Hey Adam, really constructive feedback, thanks a lot for taking the time. Been thinking a lot about what you've said here. 

First, I completely agree with you on the long signatures. Something will have to be done. I'll look for a solution. We can't have 7-line long signatures and we don't need to know every little detail about each member's gear. Noted. 

Second, the compressed view. Ok I'm taking note as well, I think I can probably play with the way the data is display to condense the titles so they take a bit less vertical space and you'd have to scroll less to access them. Also I suppose I can display more topic titles, I'll look into that. Have you noticed how easy it is to go to the next page though? It's super quick to load the next page worth of topic titles. 

As for the year each member joined, I honestly have no idea but will look into that. 

Again, thank you for your feedback! 😃

• Like 1

David I really don't mean to be too finicky so please don't break your neck with extra work - Logic Pro Help is such a blessing and an amazing resource that I wouldn't want to put too much negative feedback in…

Pages do indeed load much quicker and everything is much more clear – and this is a huge benefit for users. 

another factor to take into account which I must own is that there is a syndrome of resistance to unfamiliarity - so perhaps we will all get used to the new format and its benefits!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

Second, the compressed view. Ok I'm taking note as well, I think I can probably play with the way the data is display to condense the titles so they take a bit less vertical space and you'd have to scroll less to access them.

For people that haven't looked at it, it's worth setting up your own custom streams - my default view of the forum is a custom stream that just shows me topics I haven't read or commented in in the last day, in compact view, without the other activity of what people have commented one etc. You can set up your own conditions and it's really useful...

On 4/30/2022 at 12:20 AM, Music Spirit said:

Ok I've just added that feature. However my joined date is set to the day we migrated the forum! I'll have to fix that. 

Every now and then I get this message when opening the Notifications (bell) menu:

175445650_Screenshot2022-05-01at08-16-278GBor16GBRAMforaLogicProM1Mac.png.997a8f03fae3b75ccdaf1533c117815b.png

Enabling 'push notifications' isn't doing anything.. Perhaps it has to do with cellphone or iPad board access? I noticed that when using my desktop computer... What should I do about that?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

Enabling 'push notifications' isn't doing anything.

Ok so here's how it works for me in Chrome: 

• In the notifications pop-up menu on this website I enable the Push notifications.
  • A tiny icon appears next to the URL in Chrome, I can click that to confirm that I want to enable push notifications for this website. 
  • In the Apple menu > System Preferences > Notifications, I choose Google Chrome and make sure Notifications are enabled, then I choose the desired display setting. 

Here's the result: 

image.png.7532d3145e3b86a6db3f4fb3d03f5c78.png

2 minutes ago, fisherking said:

just a thought: perhaps the moved threads don't need to be listed in the forum they're moved from? or we could hide 'moved threads'? they become something i scroll past every time i visit the forum (ie every 3 minutes 🙃)... and take up a lot of space...

Yes they should stay a few days and disappear... let me have a look. 

Font size can still be changed (I think) ...

I think David's likely cracking down on taste by removing colour options (for example, people with bright red multi-line signatures and so on...)

They aren't really necessary, though used appropriately it can be nice - but 9 out of 10 times people end up abusing those features and the forum is the worse because of it...

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

Sorry for being so trivial, but how?

I still see the font size box, though the colour option has been removed for me.

It might be due to my "moderator" status perhaps, but that's currently a fairly empty benefit as any of that moderator functionality is not there for me at this time.

Edited by des99