Vienna Ensemble Pro - Mac or Windows?

paulcristo

My experience with clients using large VEP slaves is that a Windows machine is typically less expensive in the sense that it has a higher power/price ratio. Macs can be very powerful but they get expensive real quick. That was a few years ago though, things may have changed with the newer Mac Studios, I don't know anyone who's trying building a VEP slave on them. 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2022 at 9:07 AM, David Nahmani said:

My experience with clients using large VEP slaves is that a Windows machine is typically less expensive in the sense that it has a higher power/price ratio. Macs can be very powerful but they get expensive real quick. That was a few years ago though, things may have changed with the newer Mac Studios, I don't know anyone who's trying building a VEP slave on them. 

Thanks for your response. I've been reading rumors that VEP runs "better" on Windows and have been trying to determine if that's actually true.

39 minutes ago, paulcristo said:

I've been reading rumors that VEP runs "better" on Windows and have been trying to determine if that's actually true.

I can't tell you for sure. I believe the best people to ask that question would be VSL themselves? Surely they've ran some tests? If you do and they answer, please do let us know!

On 5/5/2022 at 10:07 AM, David Nahmani said:

Oh, that remains very true! 😗

Define 'better'. It runs great on a Mac, maybe you can run more plugins on a Windows machine, maybe not. But are you familiar with Windows? If not do you want to learn a new OS and how to maintain it, plus deal with a new level of virus concerns? A 2nd Mac can also be a backup machine for Logic but not so much with a PC. 

1 hour ago, redgreenblue said:

Define 'better'. It runs great on a Mac, maybe you can run more plugins on a Windows machine, maybe not. But are you familiar with Windows? If not do you want to learn a new OS and how to maintain it, plus deal with a new level of virus concerns? A 2nd Mac can also be a backup machine for Logic but not so much with a PC. 

I've used both Windows and Mac extensively and have used a Logic/Windows VEP slave setup for years. I'm looking to see if a consensus had formed that I wasn't aware of about the ideal software/hardware configuration for VEP. It's easy to become complacent with tech like this.