global transpose key command?

apricotandpearjam

hi all.

i have a nord 88 key piano that i use as my midi controller but often i need to go up or down an octave to get to a sound or note.

unfortunately the nord doesn't have octave up and down keys so i have to use the transposer midi fx.

i have a controller with two buttons and id love to be able to map them somehow so that they transposed the midi input from my keyboard up or down an octave.

is this possible somehow?

thanks!

You could try mapping those two controller buttons to toggle on/off the transposer midi fx (one instance to go up an octave, and the other to go down) or use a scripter which could offer more possibilities. Alternately using the Environment for a more complex setup…

Edited by Atlas007

@David Nahmani
For this particular case (and others as well) I would always avoid the Environment, just because that's saved with the project, it's not global for all projects. Unless you create a template and always use that one, but for older projects, that's too much work to always create that with the Environment. Also, if you happen to start a project using the factory's templates, you are stuck again if you are depending on the Environment.

I think using for example the Scripter would be better. Easy and fast to load, then save it as a preset.

Set global variable where the pitch for all incoming midi notes is 0
If the incoming note is CC112 change the value of the global variable to variable -12
If the incoming note is CC113 change the value of the global variable to variable +12

Done! :)

Edited by Danny Wyatt

15 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Great idea! Can you share that script? 

I don't have it, because I don't use that kind of workflow. My controller has that option to change the octave. I have something similar I build a while ago, because on a default script, but I can't test it, because for some reason I can't make my pads to get to the scripter. It's not learning the midi messages. I even started a new topic based on that. Don't know what's happening...

Edit: nevermind. I always forget that I need an instrument to make it happen. It's a bit nonsense, to be honest. It should work, whether there's an inserted instrument or not. It cause a lot of confusion... Let me see if I can modify that script and share it.

Edited by Danny Wyatt

thanks. 

but doesn’t that mean i’ll have to load the scripter onto every track?

id prefer if it was global so i didn’t have to keep thinking of loading the scripter. 

unless there is a way to set the default creation of a midi track to have a scripter loaded automatically?

if you could share if that would be most helpful. 

@David Nahmani
Can't find it...
I haven't been working with JS for a few months now so the basic knowledge I gathered is now almost lost... if you don't practice, you don't learn. I understand the concept, but I was looking at the Scripter window and can't remember certain rules anymore. Sorry...

8 minutes ago, apricotandpearjam said:

but doesn’t that mean i’ll have to load the scripter onto every track?

Yes, you would.

9 minutes ago, apricotandpearjam said:

unless there is a way to set the default creation of a midi track to have a scripter loaded automatically?

You can always save it as a Channel Strip Setting so after you create the channel you just load that CSS. It loads the Scripter and the preset. It's not a default for a new instrument creation, but it's close enough. If you really want it global, follow David's approach instead. You just have to do it for every project, unless you start using a template for new projects. It really depends on what you think takes more time and work ;)

1 hour ago, apricotandpearjam said:

i can customise them however i want. its a monogram cc and the two buttons are currently set to CC112 and CC113 sending 127 on the on and off.

Here's the beginning of a solution where I use CC109 and CC110 to route incoming MIDI data through different transformers that you'll have to set up with various amounts of transposition. This should get you started but let me know if you need further help? 

Transpose.zip